antec three hundred question

loudnproud

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
i'm about to pickup an antec three hundred for my new build but not sure on this one thing. will the front fan cages accomodate a 120 x 25 or will they take a 120 x 38 or either? i've been researching and have found conflicting information in the reviews i've been reading. also, in my process of selecting fans, i've noticed some are rated as a variable speed (some with and some without an inline switch). are the fans that are rated at a fixed speed going to burn up if i adjust their voltage though a controller? thanks for your advice.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Actually, the Three Hundred comes with a single 120mm fan in the rear and a 140mm or so on top, not two 120mm's. The front bays can each hold a 120mm by 25mm. Scythe S-FLEX fans fit perfectly. I've used a pair of Three Hundreds for builds in the last week, so I've got a little experience with them.

EDIT: I forgot about the 120mm on the side. My bad. :(

As for the fan question, I wouldn't think that adjusting a fan through a controller would cause them to "burn up." The included fans are on switches, like most Antec fans, so you can't really adjust them through a fan controller. But really, on low, they're really quiet and move a decent amount of air.

loudnproud

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008

thank you! that answers my question. from the pictures it didn't look like it would hold a 120x38mm. i should have mentioned that i'm shopping for 2 front fans and side fan for the case. looks like i've settled on 3 Scythe SY1225SL12SH 120mm Slipstream Case Fan 110cfm for the 3 empty spots on the case. i may invest in a controller down the road if it's too raging loud.

Actually, the Three Hundred comes with a single 120mm fan in the rear and a 140mm or so on top, not two 120mm's.
I have three of the Antec Three hundred cases. ALL three come with TWO 120 mm Antec tri power fans. The first is mounted in the rear of the case. The second is in a cardboard box taped inside the styrofoam packaging material. One could easily throw it away without seeing it.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Hmm...that's odd. I won't say I've searched the styrofoam, but I definitely haven't seen an additional fan in the styrofoam, either. And I've repackaged both computers in the same box and in the same styrofoam to deliver them. I've never seen an additional fan. Either way, I'd rather have Scythe fans in the cases, anyway.

Like this.

img0157cz5.jpg

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Heh...yeah, never saw one of those boxes. Did you get those three recently? As in, the past two weeks? Maybe it's something they just dropped without telling anyone. I like the Tri-Cools on low only, otherwise they're just a bit too loud for my taste.

loudnproud

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008

i've got the case lined up with 3 extra fans in my shopping cart but now i'm confunsed again.. after viewing a few reviews i thought it came with 2 fans - a 120 rear and a 140 top - which leaves room for 2 in the front and one side. so what does it come with? two 120's or one? and a 140 for the top? i'd be glad to save $10 and not have an extra fan laying around

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
What are your system specs? More likely than not, even without every fan slot filled, the computer will be very cool. If nothing else, you could just order a couple fans, then wait until you get the case and order however many fans you need.

After looking over some reviews of the 300, it looks like one 120mm fan is standard (Not really sure), but I got two 120mm fans with my cases like this review states.

http://www.overclockersonline.net/?page=articles&num=1752&pnum=1

Now I'm going to throw some props to Antec for this little inclusion. Inside was a note stating that some problems were found post production in some 120mm Tri-Cool fans. Instead of going through and testing all the fans, they included an extra fan in case one of the affected fans was installed in the case. Very cool to address an issue up front instead of making the consumer go through the hassle on the back end of the deal.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
The case only comes with 1 x 120mm rear fan and 1 x 140mm top fan. The extra fan was a replacement for a possible bad 120mm fan. At least that's the way it was with the case I bought a month back. The following is from Antec's web site.
Cooling System:
• 1 rear 120 x 25 mm TriCool™ Fan with 3-speed switch control.
• 1 top special 140 x 25 mm TriCool™ Fan with 3-speed switch control
• 2 front (Optional) 120 mm fans to cool the hard drives
• 1 side (Optional) 120 x 25 mm Fan to cool graphic cards

Optional = you purchase seperate.

loudnproud

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008

right on. as you can see they didn't state the thickness for the front fans in the specifications and it left me wondering what might fit... so naturally i had to ask. crystal clear now. thanks folks!

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I have one of those scythe 110cfm fans, and let me tell you its quite quiet. That is untill you put it in a case, than it rattles the case and makes quite a bit of noise, so you should also look into something to put inbetween the case and fan to dampen it down a bit. Like rubber pads or something (even and old cut up mouse pad will help). Though in my case its still quite noisy.

And if you intend on puting a filter on them it will also cause quite a bit of noise unless you space it out from the filter, it creates this noise from all the air its pushing through the filter at once. And unfortunately these fans push so much air it's almost required to use a filter, because if you don't the case will be full of dust in no time.

So I recomend picking up a fan controller if you going this route with the high performance fans, will help you finding that sweetspot of acceptable noise level. And remember it's a quiet fan in my opinion when it's not rattling anything and doesn't have its airflow obstructed.

*EDITED IN*
Man my spelling/grammer has been suffering lately.