Emptywords

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Allright my cpu and maybe even my mobo is dead. Planned to upgrade my comp slowly but i guess im now gonna all the rest i need.

I already have

Case : Cooler Master 690 with 6 fans
Psu : Antec EA-650 650W ATX12V
GPU : Nvidia 8600gt (will get 8800 gt or better - nvidia or ati- in a couple of months)
Sound : Creative labs sound blaster

Gonna buy :
CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Heatsink : Coolermaster Geminii S (with CoolerMaster High Performance Thermal Compound )

I want to know if the Asus P5Q would be nice with all this. I want to OC a little and i don't want to go SLI.

Your opinion? Any other mobo would be great for this, for about the same price (125$ to 175$)

I understand the E8500 has just received a price cut from Intel, and should soon cost exactly as much as the E8400. Keep an eye on those two and get the E8500 if the prices are indeed similar.

Get the P5Q Pro ($150) and a HD 4850. You will be able to add a second HD 4850 later if you change your mind, with that case/PSU/MB combination.

Check out the Sunbeam Core Contact and the HDT-S1283 at newegg. I'd prefer one of those to the Gemini.

Emptywords

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks, nice advice. Guess i should give ATI a chance!

Why do you suggest the HDT-S1283? seems to me that it is louder and less effective than Gemini...

Read this review:
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2978

Or, if you want only the conclusions:

The Cooler Master GeminII with the best of the dual fan configurations reached 3.85GHz in the overclocking test. This was below the top coolers evaluated so far, which generally reached 3.90GHz to 3.94GHz with the same CPU and configuration. The design of the Gemini II seemed voltage limited to 1.5635V on this 680i motherboard, since any attempt to go higher in voltage for a higher overclock would crash. This compares to 1.6V capability with the top air coolers in our tests. Consider that the 3.85GHz result was with a high output fan with noise at more than 50 dB-A - nearly 60 dB-A, which is as loud as our tests have reached so far. The other three fan configurations all topped out at an overclock of 3.83GHz, which is even worse.

The overclocking results are even more disappointing when you compare cooling results under stress to the best air coolers we have tested. Considering the amount of board real estate required by the GeminII, the heavy weight of the cooler, and the dual fans putting out massive amounts of airflow, the overclocking results are extremely disappointing. The best air cooler tested topped out at 3.94GHz. The rest of the best air coolers reached 3.90GHz. 3.83GHz is average performance, and no challenge for the best tested so far.

Now that we have thoroughly evaluated the GeminII there isn't much good to say about it, at least compared to the top coolers we have been testing recently. The GeminII is not a bad cooler; it is just not the great cooler we expected it to be. We have tested 21 cooler configurations in the last few months at AnandTech, and nine of those configurations overclock better than GeminII with the same CPU. That is before we even take in to account the fact that the GeminII uses two fans to, in many case, perform worse than a single 120mm fan.

On the cooling efficiency front, the GeminII is similarly average. Of the 21 measured temperatures, the GeminII is outperformed at idle by nine coolers; at load seven tested cooler configurations outperform the GeminII. Again we are often comparing one fan solutions that perform better than the two-fan GeminII configuration. To be fair, we have been testing the best coolers on the market for the last couple months, but there is no reason at all to expect the GeminII to fall short of the top performers. The fact that it does is disappointing.

For example my Scythe Ninja does better than the Geminii in that review, even if it only uses one fan. The Xigmatek and the Core Contact don't appear in Anandtech's review but they appear in others and I decided, base don those reviews, that they're better than the Ninja.

To put things in perspective, who cares if a cooler can get you 3.8 GHz or 4 GHz - the CPU will wait on the GPU and HDD most of the time anyway so there's no real life difference. As for noise, again, who can really distinguish between 38 dB and 42 dB, especially with a video card at 60 dB in the same case?
Don't worry, just get whatever cooler you want.

The E8400/E8500 thing: I see there's a $20 difference at newegg. There shouldn't be, according to Intel, but I guess newegg does it because otherwise nobody would buy their remaining E8400 stock. The E8500 has a 9.5 multiplier (as opposed to 9 for the E8400). No idea if that's worth $20. :)

Emptywords

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks for the help, i may consider another cpu fan then...

And for the e8500 thing, i will stay for the 8400. Being in Canada, newegg is not my thing and i must go on canada computers, where the 8500 is 60$ more than 8400...

I'll take a look at other cpu fans and may ask in the appropriate forums... and search reviews too.

Oops. I didn't notice that.

If you're in Canada, then you could try this:

Noctua NH-U12P
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27130&vpn=NH-U12P&manufacture=Noctua

A bit pricy at C$60. In the US it's US$104.36 at www.ncixus.com, for some reason. It's the #1 air cooler in the world AFAIK. Read this review:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3268&p=2

Of course, if you're just looking for a mild overclock, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is a smarter choice - half the price and easier to install.

Emptywords

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
I'm in Quebec, i suppose it's the same thing as in Ontario.

Yeah i'll forget Canada Computers and go with NCIX...

That Noctua is really cool, but it may be too much for my needs

Here's what i will buy now
-e8400
-artic cooling freezer 7 pro (won't need paste, i think with that one)
-Logisys FP-206SL 3.5IN Silver LCD Digital Thermal Front Controller (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14108) May be useful, too...
-Asus P5Q pro

That should be good i guess?

effel

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
The Freezer 7 Pro can be a pain in the ass to install, and it comes with a very bad finish on the base from my experiences. After getting a thermalright ultra 120 I'll never bother with push-pins if I ever have a choice. Granted the two have a large difference in temperature from my experiences, it works fine for most people's needs.

Another mobo sale for Asus~ Have fun with your new hardware.

Are you annoyed with Asus, by any chance? Come on, man, share the horror stories, they're fun.

AFAIK they're doing pretty good stuff these days. OK, I still prefer Gigabyte, but it's a very mild preference. Asus did mess up big time in the days of 680i. I wanted a Striker Extreme last year and gave up after seeing what people were saying about Asus in the forums.

Emptywords

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks for the help aevm and thanks for the warning effel, i'm good to continue on my own now...

Guess my next post in TomsHardware forum will be in a week, for overclocking :p