Got New Router | Confused by DSL Cable Instead of Ethernet

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I bought a new router but it has a DSL input connection which my old one did not have a DSL input, but does not seem to have an ethernet input. Back looks like this:
R0132455-03.jpg

Connecting from my Motorola cable modem gateway, it does not have a DSL output.

Using DSL Cable

However, I could fit the smaller DSL cable in the place I'd normally fit a the ethernat cable. It fitted in snugly with no forcing so I assumed it was meant to work with both DSL and Ethernet cables.

The internet does not work this way, but I don't know if it is just because I configured the new router wrong.

So I tried something else.

Using Ethernet cable.

I plugged an Ethernet cable into the cable modem gateway as I would have normally done with my old router. And then I just plugged the other end into the first ethernet output on the Modem. I plugged my computer into the second Ethernet output.

I got internet connection this way, but my PC had the real IP address like 77.86,75.11, rather than the 192.168.0.2 it would normally have got on the old router. Also I could not connect to the router now using the address 192.168.0.1, whereas when I used the DSL cable with the new router I could log into the router, but not get on the internet.

Which Cable Should I Be Using?

G

It looks like you bought a combo DSL modem & router. According to the User Guide for the SBG900, it has a router built-in and you just need a network switch.

Grumpy

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I looked up a network switch and it doesn't seem to be something I need. Surely I just connect the Cable Modem Gateway to the new router, using the right cable, set up the router correctly and I should be done.

So I just need to know which cable to use. Anyone?

G

What is the make & model of your new router? According to page 4 of the manual (http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/SBG900/downloads/SBG900_User_Guide.pdf) for your SBG900, you need a netswitch (or hub) for multiple wired connections.

Grumpy

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
What is the make & model of your new router? According to page 4 of the manual (http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/SBG900/downloads/SBG900_User_Guide.pdf) for your SBG900, you need a netswitch (or hub) for multiple wired connections.

Grumpy
It is this one. - now discontinued so I have to link to Google cache.

Specs:

Plexus Wireless Broadband Router ADSL2+, providing up to 24Mbps downstream rate and up to 1Mbps upstream rate. The device includes all as ADSL2+, router, wireless AP and 4-port switch in one, suitable for SOHOs and small-sized enterprises. It also supports dual SSID, which can separate the private network from the public one. Meantime, it provides WEP, WPA, WPA2, 802.1x encryption and security mechanism, and supports IP and MAC address filtering to protect your network against malicious attacks. In addition, it supports DHCP server, virtual server, DMZ host, static routing, DDNS, etc. Web management utility, Telnet and SNMP are also supported. Moreover, the device can be managed anywhere through Remote Web management interface.

* Complies with G.dmt, G.lite T1.413 G.992.3(ADSL2)G.992.5(ADSL2+)Annex A standards
* Supports ATM fragmentation/de-fragmentation: CBR rt- VBR nrt-VBR UBR- with-PCR UBR
* Four 10/100M auto-negotiation & auto-sensing fast Ethernet LAN ports
* IEEE802.11b/g wireless access point
* Supports 64/128-bit WEP and WPA/WPA2 encryption and 802.x security authentication standards
* USB1.0/1.1 Device port
* Supports Telnet, Local/Remote Web management interface
* Supports VPN pass-through over L2TP, PPTP and IP protocols
* Supports Bridging mode based over 10/100M Ethernet, USB and 802.11g wireless LAN interfaces
* Supports RIPv1, RIPv2 and NAT protocols
* Provides system configuration backup tool
* Supports DHCP Server/clients
* Supports the static IP routing
* Supports MAC address filtering, UPnP, DMZ and IP OoS
* Supports 16 PVC (Permanent Virtual Circuits) entries
* Supports ATM Forum UNI 3.0, 3.1 and 4.0 PVC standards
* Supports SNTP protocol
* Supports local administrator, local user and Telnet login
* Supports anti-DOS attack for WAN/LAN, including SYN flooding, IP surfing, ping of Death, fraggle, - UDP ECHO, port 7, teardrop, land
* Supports Point to Point Protocol (PPP): PAP (RFC1334), CHAP (RFC1994) and MSCHAP authentication protocols
* Supports auto wireless channel selection
* Supports dual-SSID for public and private wifi access
* Supports Wireless Distribution System (WDS)

The back of the router looks like this:
R0132455-03.jpg

----

The cable modem I gave before was the wrong model - it is this one:
http://www.livas.lv/media/help/modem/533177-001-a-SB5101E-6-2006.pdf

G

Return the new router, it's not going to work. It's a combo DSL Modem/Wireless router and REQUIRES a DSL Internet connection. You need a wireless router WITHOUT a built-in DSL modem.

Grumpy