Using a 20 pin psu on a 24 pin board

Fidgit

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Anyone using an old 20 pin psu on a 24 pin mainboard? I ordered some new hardware, asus p5q pro, e7200, 2gig ram, and a radeon 4850 and I'm in a dilemma whether or not to get a new psu. I have an oldie but goodie antec truepower 550 watt psu that's been in use for about 5 years now but its a 20 pin. I would really like to save the cash not having to buy a new psu if all possible.

I've read some info here and there about people using old 20 pin psu's on new 24 pin mainboards but I'm a bit skeptical about it but I know for a fact that the one i have now is a rock solid psu. Anyways afaik the antec i currently have has a single 12v rail with a 24a max output if that helps. I just wanted to get some opinions if this was doable and if or not it's a good idea, if just a temporary solution until i get more funds. What would be the worst case scenario? Lol i'd hate to screw up my new hardware. Thanks

gators1223

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
worst case is everything shorts and blows up but thats not likely probably most likely if it doesn't work it wont turn on, and is $50 to much to spare for a antec earthwatts 500w powersupply that has all the right cables

Mondoman

Splendid
Your old PS probably isn't powerful enough for your specific new setup. Modern graphics cards require a lot more power than ones from five years ago. Overall watts don't matter -- what matters is the +12V amperage available.

See if your old antec has any required connectors to the video card. Some mid to high end cards require a ps connection. I use a 20 pin ps on my 24 pin connector, and it works fine. My compaq presario came this way. I changed to a 20 pin antec ps and it works fine, but the video connection must match. I use onboard video so this isn't an issue for me, but you need to check the video card requirements before ordering.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Look around though, they do make adapters. I know there is such an animal as a 20 to 24 pin adapter, also, you would probably need an adapter for the 4 pin plug to provide power to the cpu. Though will it power a 4850...not sure on that.