Sign in with
Your question

New build wont post/ Is my hard drive DOA?

Last response: in Systems
July 23, 2008 4:09:36 AM

I just built a new system and when i go to start it up i get the Gigabyte logo screen but when i go to post i only get the post screen for a second. It then goes to another screen that says Sec. slave disk: none. At the bottom of the screen it says disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. So does this mean my hard drive is dead? how can i tell? I checked and both sata cables are in all the way.

my system is:

Gigabyte GA-ep35-ds3l
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
Corsair 650w
HD4850
Q6600
a b B Homebuilt system
July 23, 2008 4:51:32 AM

Sounds like the second HDD you just put in is set as the primary boot. Go into the BIOS and set the Hard disk boot priority to the other drive (and make sure that RAID is off) (should be under the 1-3 Boot devices). That error just means there is no boot sector on the primary boot path (the HDD you just put in). also check the jumper settings on the hard drives (remove them from CS*, and set them to MA*, and SL*)

CS= Cable Select
MA= Master (the original HDD should be set to this)
SL= Slave (the new HDD needs set to this)
July 23, 2008 5:41:03 AM

m60lmg said:
I just built a new system and when i go to start it up i get the Gigabyte logo screen but when i go to post i only get the post screen for a second. It then goes to another screen that says Sec. slave disk: none. At the bottom of the screen it says disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. So does this mean my hard drive is dead? how can i tell? I checked and both sata cables are in all the way.

my system is:

Gigabyte GA-ep35-ds3l
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
Corsair 650w
HD4850
Q6600

You might need to go into your bios and select the drive as ide or ahci disabled. Other than that, its now time to boot with your system disk and format HDD, then install OS.

You do have only one power connector attached, right?
Related resources
July 23, 2008 8:21:00 PM

IH8U said:
Sounds like the second HDD you just put in is set as the primary boot. Go into the BIOS and set the Hard disk boot priority to the other drive (and make sure that RAID is off) (should be under the 1-3 Boot devices).

I only have one hdd but i have two SATA devices, the hdd and optical drive.

croc said:
You might need to go into your bios and select the drive as ide or ahci disabled. Other than that, its now time to boot with your system disk and format HDD, then install OS.

You do have only one power connector attached, right?

1. Once it fails to boot I am unable to get into the bios. Or at least i dont know how.
2. To start i had two cables connected, the ribbon one and the L shaped one. I tried removing the ribbon SATA cable but that did not make a difference.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 23, 2008 8:25:10 PM

First of all, forget moving jumpers to set Master, Slave or Cable Select. You said you have a SATA drive, and there is no such setting on them. (There may be one jumper on a SATA drive as delivered, but its sole function is to limit the drive to the original "SATA I" speed to ensure compatability with older controller systems. You can leave that on, or remove it if you are sure you have "SATA II" 3 Gbps support.)

Although you got a message involving a Secondary drive, you don't actually say you have more than one drive in the system. Anyway, you need to go into the BIOS and set some things. If you built the system, presumably you have a motherboard manual to follow on the correct procedure, so here's the outline. To get into BIOS, you usually have to hold down a key after pushing the start button - often the "Del" key. First you need to tell it what hard disk you have installed. If you have NOTHING connected to the EIDE connector (no hard disk and no DVD or CD unit) you might turn off all IDE devices. But if there's anything like an IDE DVD burner, set that to auto-detect its devices. Then look at the SATA device systems. You will need to turn it on if it is not already, and probably make some settings. Mine offers three options: IDE emulation, AHCI, and RAID. IDE emulation has the BIOS take care of making the SATA drive appear to the OS like an IDE drive, and that eliminates the need for additional hardware drivers for the SATA disk. AHCI is another, more advanced way to handle the drive, but it may mean you have to provide an AHCI driver on a floppy disk at boot-up so that the system can deal with the drive. RAID involves a whole other bunch of options I expect you do not want to use, so make sure that is NOT chosen.

Once that is set, you need to set the Boot Priority in another screen. Most of the time you'll want to boot from the SATA drive. But I set mine up so that it will try to boot in this order: floppy drive (yes, I have one), then DVD drive (mine happens to be in the IDE bus), then SATA drive #1 (I have two). That way it will boot from the HDD most times, but if I put in a floppy or a bootable CD it will boot from there instead.

Now you can save the settings and exit, and it will try to boot. But assuming you have a blank new hard drive, there will be nothing to boot from, and you'll get an error message again. This is where you insert your Install Disk for your new Operating System in the DVD drive and reboot. It will boot from that disk (if you set priorities as I said) and ask whether you want to proceed with partitioning and formatting your hard disk, then installing the OS. Once all that is complete, you will be able to remove the install disk and boot from the hard drive normally.
July 24, 2008 12:57:49 AM

Ok thanks for all the help, a few more questions.

1. I have the SATAII 3gb/s and the and the SATA power connector(ribbon one) attached to the optical and the hdd. Is this configuration right?

2. I tried to boot it again and in addition to saying sec. drive: none it says there is no master or primary drive.

3. Once i get to this screen I can not retry to post by pressing tab or get into the BIOS by pressing del. Is this normal? Any other ways to get into the bios?

4. In this screen I get an error message and am prompted to boot from the CD. Should I just do that?
July 24, 2008 1:58:51 AM

Tried booting from the CD and windows did not see any hard drive. :( 

Any other suggestions? I cant even get into the BIOS! Please help.
July 24, 2008 2:33:01 AM

RTFM, dammit. Starting from about page 31. The DEL key is how you access the BIOS, power the PC on and start hitting DEL. (there should be a prompt to tell you when... but I'm not familiar with Gigabyte)
!