Radeon 4850 wow optimization?

solance

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Ok i have a 4400 core duo 2.0 ghz and 3gb of ram, and i was running wow at 60 to 100 fps in azeroth but as soon as soon as i hit outland my fps went to 30-40(max settings) I am looking to get some optimizations and get back to higher fps, my preformance monitor says that the that wow only pushes the cpu atou 50-75% and ram rarely goes above 50% use. I dont understand why my fps suddenly dropped off. I know this card has the power to push the game harder than that.

running on a 26inch HDTV through HDMI if this makes a difference but not even running at 1920x1080

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Sorry, but there is no way in any place, be it Heaven, Hell, whatever, that your video card is to blame for your framerate. At your settings more like a Radeon X1650XT might even be good enough to get those framerates.

Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing of what they talk about; be warned of plenty of people who supposedly claim to be certified, but have all their knowledge in a completely different area. I'd note dryly that IT professionals would, as part of their job and certification, not know anything about video cards; getting CCNA certification deals only with networking.

Rather, I think that what you're seeing is effectively a domino effect; most MMOs have horrid coding for dealing with larger, more open areas with more NPCs, creatures, and players. As a result, the client software tends to choke somewhat on them regardless of what hardware it has available. As a result, the CPU often winds up waiting for periods while it waits for the software to figure out what on earth its doing, and during that time, the CPU is not keeping the video card fed. And if the video card doesn't get fed data, all it can do is virtually twiddle its thumbs while it waits for data.

As far as I can tell here, perhaps the only thing that could help fix your problem is perhaps a better network and Internet connection; less packet loss and lower latency. Since the higher either of those are, the more the client software will choke; it's like tossing a tiny wrench into a huge machine.

shaundwm

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I would have thought the problem would be the server, rather then your hardware.
It happens in a lot of online strategy/rpg games which have very light system requirements

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006

Drivers are always a good thing to check, though it's unlikely that they are the source of the problem; usually when they're a problem, they cause a much more severe issue than a framerate drop in areas known to be poor-performing in MMOs.

As far as the PSU goes, that has absolutely zero impact on performance. None. Nada. If it's insufficient, it causes system instability, not a drop in performance, because they don't design video cards to cut power when they're straining the PSU, because there is technically no real reliable way for them to tell how badly its stressing the PSU. So what happens instead is that the PSU gets over-worked and will cause crashes as it might cut off some power to other parts of the system, causing a reboot of the video card (resulting in an instant crash or freeze of anything using it) or a reboot of the entire system itself.

+1 on nottheking. there's a long-winded thread on this already, i doubt you want to read it.

WoW is a terrible game by today's standards, but some people find it fun. Don't expect it to be top-of-the-line...it's somewhere under the middle.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

Its some time i played wow, but x1650 seems to me little too rusty to run it at 1920, it only have 128bit memory bus and 256MB ram. Even my 8800GTX have troubles to run wow at 1600x1200 with max details over 120fps and once antialliasing applied it drop to around 70.

And using custom GUIs realy doesnt help with FPS as well.

2 comments:

1) An 8800GTX is more than enough for WoW at any resolution, on any settings.
2) When your monitor refreshes at 60Hz, how are 70FPS minimums a sign of "troubles"? It sounds like the graphics card is doing just fine to me, and it probably isn't the limiting factor in your case.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006

The 8800GTX is so powerful that it is literally impossible for it to be at fault for any framerate under several hundred.

Also, Which X1650 are you talking about? I was speaking of the X1650XT, which is based on the RV560 core, rather than the (generally more commonly found) RV530-based X1650pro, which is pretty much a re-branded X1600XT, and thus considerably less powerful. (having only half the processing units available)

Oh, of course. It's possible to mod just about any game into unplayability if you try hard enough. A favorite of mine are the texture packs for Oblivion that jack the resolution of them much higher than in the original game, but don't really run well unless you've got at least 1GB of VRAM per GPU. :p

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

I seriously doubt that its not graphic card limiting performance when CPU is barely used at 40% and 8GB ram 1066MHz DDR2 either.

if start wow at normal settings fps are 180+ but bumpt all efects on max it go down to 120 add antialiasing goes to 70 and using some addons down to 40.
Ofcourse it depend on location, but put 100+ ppl on same place , lots of them using graphic effects and you get to those 40 fps. And thats with 8800GTX tryed it with only 256MB ATI and at same settings barely 10 fps.

Basicly at high resolutions 256MB videomemory is just not enough and stuff like antialiasing even increase video memory ussage by huge ammounts.

Again, the game is poorly coded...not the hardware's fault.