What CPU would be good with this GPU combo?-Please Help!

Hi, so I'm building a system with 3 GTX 280 OC editions in tri-SLI. I was trying to decide between dual and quad core, and now I'm 90% sure I want a quad core. I was initially going to get the Q9550 2.83 GHz.

But now, I feel like even if I do OC it, it will be bottlenecking the cards. So, what would be a good quad core cpu that would not bottleneck these cards? Maybe the Q9650? A QX? Or would Q9550 be fine?

I'd prefer a CPU in the couple hundreds range, not the $1000+ ones. As long as the quad core isn't bottlenecking the 3 GTX 280s, and is a great CPU all-in-all, I'm perfectly happy.

Thanks a bunch :bounce:
10 answers Last reply
More about what good combo please help
  1. Quote:
    I'm building a system with 3 GTX 280 OC editions in tri-SLI. I was trying to decide between dual and quad core, and now I'm 90% sure I want a quad core. I was initially going to get the Q9550 2.83 GHz.

    But now, I feel like even if I do OC it, it will be bottlenecking the cards. So, what would be a good quad core cpu that would not bottleneck these cards? Maybe the Q9650? A QX? Or would Q9550 be fine?

    I'd prefer a CPU in the couple hundreds range, not the $1000+ ones.


    I would go for the ultimate ePenis effect and and get an e8600 and try for 5Ghz. Put the screws to three times GTX280.

  2. I am sorry but you will most likely have to wait for 2 months and get the $1,000 3.2 Ghz Intel Core i7.
  3. I'd rather have a quad core, and I unfortunately don't have the time to wait for the overly expensive i7. Anything you guys could suggest now that would be good? Q9650 maybe? I will overclock if necessary, but can only go so far, because even tho my case has like 10 fans, the gtx 280s are selfish and use up like 7 just to keep at fair temps.

    Should I just stick with Q9550 and OC it as far as I can with that cooling, or get something better off the bat?
  4. Get an extreme CPU ( a 9 series for sure) - the most expensive you can get.

    Plus a kilowatt PSU ... at least.

    Put 6 more fans in it too.

    Or go cheap with more fun, risk, and argueably just as good a result.

    Stick a Q6600 in a decent SLI system with water ( try for 4Ghz then) and 2 X 4870X2's with 2 X 2Gb sticks of fast ram. Might save a bucket load of cash too.

    Go for 2 VRaptors in RAID0 ...
  5. You want 3 x GTX 280 OC @ $1500.00 and spend $200.00 on a processer?
  6. +1 Q9650 minimum!
  7. I think you've got more money than sense. Why dont you just run two GTX280's, and spend the extra dosh on a decent CPU.
  8. knotknut said:
    You want 3 x GTX 280 OC @ $1500.00 and spend $200.00 on a processer?


    Have you ever gamed in your life? Seriously, why don't you take a $1500 QX9770 with a GT8800, and tell me if you get even 1/5 of the fps 3 gtx 280s would give me.

    Oh and btw, the Q9650 is $550.
  9. Reynod said:
    Get an extreme CPU ( a 9 series for sure) - the most expensive you can get.

    Plus a kilowatt PSU ... at least.

    Put 6 more fans in it too.


    OH OH OH and add a flame sticker to the side of the computer case!

    Adds 5 horsepower! ..I mean.. 5 FPS! LOLOLOL.

    Seriously though. $10 says you get 25% fewer FPS running that tri-SLI.

    If you're playing anything but RTS, run that ultimate e-peen that Badge suggested. Clock speed is king.
  10. The OP mentioned that he is doing this just because of the benchmarks in the game Crysis.
    Myself I think that it is completely absurd to spend $1,000 for 2 more graphics cards just to play this one silly game with high frames per second.In most of the benchmarks on other games this will be a complete waste and show no,only slightly more or less improvement in frames per second.
    I also think that after 2 or 3 weeks of playing this game that he will get bored with it and feel bad for wasting an extra $1,000.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Bottleneck Quad Core