Jmicron Controller Bios Error

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
When I boot my computer I get an error stating detecting drives, no any drives found. I'm recently noticing this now and I have had my motherboard for a while now. Is this something new or did i always have this but never noticed it? Also wanted to mention that I am using only SATA devices no IDE devices.

Do you have any drives connected to the JMicron controller? If not then that's normal. As to whether or not the dialog has always been there, it's hard to say. You may have had it disabled and then a BIOS flash may have enabled it by default. If you don't want to see this message, go into your BIOS and disable the JMicron controller. By doing this, not only will you no longer be annoyed by the message, it will also speed up your boot time as it will no longer pause to search for drives connected to it.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007

Thanks for your help. My next question is what gets connected to the Jmicron controller? Does a floppy drive count?

You haven't provided me with the make and model of your motherboard, but I can answer the question with some certainty. It is a IDE and/or SATA controller. Intel has dropped support for IDE controller in all of their newer chipset (if I remember correctly from the P965 up), so motherboard manufacturers have had to add third party controllers to provide support for IDE drives. Most of these controller actually provide support for both types (SATA/IDE). Usually the SATA ports supplied by the third party controllers are colored differently from the Intel controllers. Hope that answers your question.

If you need more specific information, provide you motherboard make and model.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I have an Asus Rampage Formula. I have my specs listed in the more info section.

Well I just found out that the Jmicron controller only controls the IDE connections in this motherboard. I have never used IDE so it is kinda weird that I am noticing that error now. The only explanation I have is that I recently flashed my bios and maybe the error never showed in the previous bios.

First off, it really isn't an error technically. Since the controller is enabled, it scans for drives connected to it, and since it doesn't find any, thus the dialog.

As for the BIOS flash that may explain it. It's possible that either you had it disabled (or it was disabled by default) and when you flashed it, the new BIOS has the JMicron controller is enabled by default. Explaining why you never seen the error before.

Again as I mentioned, if you would like to reduce boot time and/or the dialog annoys you, just disable the controller in the BIOS.

arasamy

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009

I wanted to know if theres is any chance for the mother board to detect the drives conected to de IDE but with the jmicron disabled. I ask this because I have an Asus P5KC and it haves sound problems with the jmicron enabled.

When I disable it, the pc doesnt detect the drives, neither the hard drive or the cd-rw I have connected to the IDE, and the red light of the computer "thinking" stays on all the time.

Thanks

Wow this is an old thread.

As for your question aRaSamy, without downloading your manual, I would have to say that with the JMicron controller disabled, the IDE controller will be disabled. Intel dropped support for IDE around the 975X chipset if I remember correctly. So motherboard manufacturers who wanted to add support were left with using third party controllers. Many used the controller from JMicron as it added additional SATA ports as well as an IDE port. I don't think you can selectively disable only the SATA, the entire controller is either enabled or not. There are a couple of ways to attack your problem. Obviously the noise created by the JMicron controller is dirtying your audio signal. You didn't specify whether you are using digital out or analog out, but for the time being I will assume analog. First off you could have a faulty ground to your speakers, coupled with extra noise from the controller causes the noise your hearing. If you think this could be a possibility, try/borrow another set of speakers to see if that eliminates the problem. If you are convinced your speakers aren't part of the problem, the other options available are:

1. Get a SATA optical drive, they are cheap, and replace the IDE HDD with an SATA drive.

2. Buy a PCI-IDE controller card. This should remove the noise of the controller from the motherboard thereby eliminating the noise you are hearing while still being able to use your IDE devices.

Hope that helps.

arasamy

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Cant thank you enough for answering my question...

well... for the audio I use an external card, from the icemat siberia headset. Is connected via USB, the noise that I have, is not all the time... I play counter strike, and after playing some time the audio crashes, I still here some things but distorsioned, like if the audio were twice the speed. But if I keep playing the sound come to normal like in a minute, only I lost some frags because of not having sound xD.

I have a SATA HDD as the master, the IDE is just an old slave that has some data that I use, but is not really necesary...

So I'll pass all the data from de IDE to the Sata and just take the IDE out.

I wonder if the problems with the sounds is just because the JMicron or other problem... What do you think??

Sorry if I didnt really specify my problem in my first reply, but I doubted some one will answer me...

Thanks