Backup disk from a hidden partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

richp413

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hello,
how do I create a backup disk from a hidden partition. If the hard drive totally crashes the backup on the hidden partition is useless.
thanks, rich

Solution
tig, he may be asking about the OS recovery partition.

richp413, the computers I have seen with a hidden recovery partition have a sheet in the documentation that explains how to create recovery media. You can also do a full clone of the hard drive, which will capture even the hidden partition using a program such as Ghost.

I'm guessing that's what you are asking about, that's really the only time one would have a hidden partition.
That's something to think about when deciding to hide a partition.

Un-hide the partition.

Start>Run>Gpedit.Msc>User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Explorer>(right-Click on)"Hide these drives in My Computer">Properties>

Set to "Not Configured" or "Disabled"

tig, he may be asking about the OS recovery partition.

richp413, the computers I have seen with a hidden recovery partition have a sheet in the documentation that explains how to create recovery media. You can also do a full clone of the hard drive, which will capture even the hidden partition using a program such as Ghost.

I'm guessing that's what you are asking about, that's really the only time one would have a hidden partition.

Solution

richp413

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Yes, that is exactly what I was asking. I did not find any documentation about creating a recovery media. It seems the computer company's have found another way to save a dime. They send no back up with laptops. Thanks for your help. I will look for a clone program.
rich

Status
Not open for further replies.