Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Backup disk from a hidden partition

Last response: in Windows XP
December 8, 2010 12:08:27 AM

Hello,
how do I create a backup disk from a hidden partition. If the hard drive totally crashes the backup on the hidden partition is useless.
thanks, rich
December 8, 2010 5:05:13 PM

That's something to think about when deciding to hide a partition.

Un-hide the partition.

Start>Run>Gpedit.Msc>User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Explorer>(right-Click on)"Hide these drives in My Computer">Properties>

Set to "Not Configured" or "Disabled"
Score

Best solution

December 9, 2010 1:37:06 PM

tig, he may be asking about the OS recovery partition.

richp413, the computers I have seen with a hidden recovery partition have a sheet in the documentation that explains how to create recovery media. You can also do a full clone of the hard drive, which will capture even the hidden partition using a program such as Ghost.

I'm guessing that's what you are asking about, that's really the only time one would have a hidden partition.
Related resources
December 9, 2010 11:14:29 PM

hang-the-9 said:
tig, he may be asking about the OS recovery partition.

richp413, the computers I have seen with a hidden recovery partition have a sheet in the documentation that explains how to create recovery media. You can also do a full clone of the hard drive, which will capture even the hidden partition using a program such as Ghost.

I'm guessing that's what you are asking about, that's really the only time one would have a hidden partition.

Yes, that is exactly what I was asking. I did not find any documentation about creating a recovery media. It seems the computer company's have found another way to save a dime. They send no back up with laptops. Thanks for your help. I will look for a clone program.
rich
Score
December 17, 2010 12:51:27 AM

Best answer selected by richp413.
Score
December 19, 2010 10:36:51 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!