Sign in with
Your question

Cannot boot XP without NT Boot Floppy

Last response: in Windows XP
December 8, 2010 3:24:28 AM

I cannot boot XP Pro SP3 to normal mode without a NT boot floppy disk. When the boot floppy is loaded, everything works fine. Without it I get the same BSOD error message. The error is:

Stop: 0x7B (0xF78A2524, 0xC0000034, 0x0, 0x0)

I can start in safe mode, but the system hangs for an extended period on mup.sys.

Also, I cannot boot to the XP Pro Retail CD without receiving a similar BSOD error when the console gets to the “Starting Windows” message. The difference is 0xF78D2524.

It took me a while to get to this point, and since everything works fine if I have the boot floppy I know it should be a simple fix. The boot floppy was formatted on a XP Home lappy through USB, and I copied NTLDR, NTDetect.com and Boot.ini from the lappy as well. I did modify the boot.ini to read XP Pro as the operating system.

This all started with a virus, so something is probably corrupt, but I have no idea what it is. I have more background info if it will help.

More about : boot boot floppy

December 8, 2010 5:05:25 AM

Stop: 0x000000000007B / NTLDR
check cable & socket your HDD & check partisi with software disk tool !

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

first : backup your important file & boot form Flopy/usb install gaian use recovery disk !
m
l
December 8, 2010 11:18:30 AM

henydiah said:
Stop: 0x000000000007B / NTLDR
check cable & socket your HDD & check partisi with software disk tool !

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

first : backup your important file & boot form Flopy/usb install gaian use recovery disk !

I can boot into the normal mode without any issues as long as I have the boot disk, so I know it isn't a hardware issue. Even so, I have checked all connections and changed ports/cables. This did not help.

When I boot, my partitions are intact. They were also intact when the hard drive was plugged into the lappy.

I have backed up my files. What is "Gain Use Recovery Disk"?
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2010 12:15:24 AM

install fresh system !
your XP system + software + driver use recovery disk
m
l
December 19, 2010 3:04:42 PM

I was able to load recovery console and boot to that. I ran the MBR repair toll and that fixed it :) 
m
l
!