Windows No Disk Error

A friend recently had the hard drive crash on his Dell. I replaced the hard
drive and got all the Windows XP updates. Installed anti-virus and Ad-Aware.
I installed several in a row before rebooting so I am not quite sure when
the problem started. I think it was after a AdAware install but not sure.
The message pops up after Windows boots and after Admin account has loaded.

Error Msg:

Windows No Disk
There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive.

Cancel - Try Again - Continue.

Any help as what to look into besides re-install. I plan on going into
msconf and turning stuff off until I hopefully can find the culprit.

Thx,
--
Tip
www.gotips.net

    You have to go into the bios and tell it the hard drive is the first drive to
    load first. Right now its going to the cd or floppy. In windows xp hit the
    delete key soon as the machine starts up and go in there and change the boot
    sequence to first C:/ drive, second CD, third Floppy.

    matthew

    Tip wrote:
    > A friend recently had the hard drive crash on his Dell. I
    > replaced the hard drive and got all the Windows XP updates.
    > Installed anti-virus and Ad-Aware. I installed several in a
    > row before rebooting so I am not quite sure when the problem
    > started. I think it was after a AdAware install but not
    > sure. The message pops up after Windows boots and after
    > Admin account has loaded.
    > Error Msg:
    >
    > Windows No Disk
    > There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into
    > drive.
    > Cancel - Try Again - Continue.
    >

    > Any help as what to look into besides re-install. I plan on
    > going into msconf and turning stuff off until I hopefully
    > can find the culprit.
    > Thx,
    > --
    > Tip
    > www.gotips.net

    When you installed Windows did you have any drives attached to
    the computer? How about a Zip Drive (internal or external),
    flash drive or card reader? Check to see if Windows was
    installed on a drive other than C and C has been assigned to a
    removable drive. You might want to take a look at this article:

    "There Is No Disk in the Drive" Error Message When You Start
    Your Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330137

    If this is the source of your problem, then your going to have
    to decide if your friend can live with Windows not residing on
    the C drive. If not, you're going to have to reinstall Windows
    with nothing connected to the computer except the mouse,
    keyboard and monitor. Changing the system drive to C is
    possible but, in my opinion, not worth all the effort.

    You can also take a look in Event Viewer for error messages
    associated with this problem. They may give you a clue as to
    exactly which drive is the culprit.

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    Tip wrote:
    > A friend recently had the hard drive crash on his Dell. I
    > replaced the hard drive and got all the Windows XP updates.
    > Installed anti-virus and Ad-Aware. I installed several in a
    > row before rebooting so I am not quite sure when the problem
    > started. I think it was after a AdAware install but not
    > sure. The message pops up after Windows boots and after
    > Admin account has loaded.
    > Error Msg:
    >
    > Windows No Disk
    > There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into
    > drive.
    > Cancel - Try Again - Continue.
    >

    > Any help as what to look into besides re-install. I plan on
    > going into msconf and turning stuff off until I hopefully
    > can find the culprit.
    > Thx,
    > --
    > Tip
    > www.gotips.net

    Following up on my earlier response, I came across a number of
    references that suggest iTunes or QuickTime might be
    responsible for this error message.

    Take a look here for more info:

    Nepatsfan

    If this is a Dell computer with a fresh OS install make sure you go to Dell
    Downloads, you can use the service tag number off the PC to get to the
    downloads specifically for that PC. You want to make sure you have the
    latest Chipset drivers installed for the MOBO and it wouldn't hurt getting
    the latest flash bios.
    Guy

    If this is a Dell computer with a fresh OS install make sure you go to
    Dell
    Downloads, you can use the service tag number off the PC to get to the
    downloads specifically for that PC. You want to make sure you have the
    latest Chipset drivers installed for the MOBO and it wouldn't hurt
    getting
    the latest flash bios.
    Guy

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:03:01 +0100, mstout2001 wrote
    (in article <FAC5A7F6-B519-4132-8BF0-E9E9B0374F23@microsoft.com>):

    > You have to go into the bios and tell it the hard drive is the first drive to

    > load first. Right now its going to the cd or floppy. In windows xp hit the
    > delete key soon as the machine starts up and go in there and change the boot
    > sequence to first C:/ drive, second CD, third Floppy.
    >
    > matthew

    Who are you - Andrew the Eejit's equally gormless identical twin?!

    1) The BIOS has nothing whatsoever to do with the operating system.

    2) Delete is *NOT* the key used to enter the BIOS on every system in
    existence. HP, for example, use F2. Dell (at least the last Dell I had) used
    F10, IIRC.

    3) Your answer is also irrelevant. Unless he'd left an unbootable floppy in
    the drive, and the floppy was set first, would it apply. Unbootable CDs are
    glossed over and do not effect a system's ability to continue POSTing. If he
    hasn't left a floppy in the drive, and the floppy isn't set to be the first
    boot device, then it isn't an issue.

    "Nepatsfan" <> wrote in message news:jqCdnWNWSOwm_43eRVn-uw@comcast.com...
    > Tip wrote:
    >> A friend recently had the hard drive crash on his Dell. I
    >> replaced the hard drive and got all the Windows XP updates.
    >> Installed anti-virus and Ad-Aware. I installed several in a
    >> row before rebooting so I am not quite sure when the problem
    >> started. I think it was after a AdAware install but not
    >> sure. The message pops up after Windows boots and after
    >> Admin account has loaded.
    >> Error Msg:
    >>
    >> Windows No Disk
    >> There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into
    >> drive.
    >> Cancel - Try Again - Continue.
    >>

    >> Any help as what to look into besides re-install. I plan on
    >> going into msconf and turning stuff off until I hopefully
    >> can find the culprit.
    >> Thx,
    >> --
    >> Tip
    >> www.gotips.net
    >
    > When you installed Windows did you have any drives attached to the
    > computer? How about a Zip Drive (internal or external), flash drive or
    > card reader? Check to see if Windows was installed on a drive other than C
    > and C has been assigned to a removable drive. You might want to take a
    > look at this article:
    >
    > "There Is No Disk in the Drive" Error Message When You Start Your Computer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330137
    >
    > If this is the source of your problem, then your going to have to decide
    > if your friend can live with Windows not residing on the C drive. If not,
    > you're going to have to reinstall Windows with nothing connected to the
    > computer except the mouse, keyboard and monitor. Changing the system drive
    > to C is possible but, in my opinion, not worth all the effort.
    >
    > You can also take a look in Event Viewer for error messages associated
    > with this problem. They may give you a clue as to exactly which drive is
    > the culprit.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Nepatsfan

    Update:

    I went over today with my bag of software and checklist expecting the worst.
    (Re-install of XP).

    Clicked on My Computer and noticed the hard drive was set as F:, The C:
    drive was listed as removable media (usb camera). I moved the camera from C:
    to G: and problem was solved. Hard Drive is now listed as F: but that
    doesn't really matter to me or friend so all is well. I wasn't looking
    forward to fixing the problem but was Very happy I got it all figured out in
    about 15 minutes. Guess next time I will pay more attention when installing
    and unplug any USB devices not needed till after the XP install. Live and
    learn.

    Thanks Nepatsfan that is just what I needed.
    :-)

    --
    Tip
    www.gotips.net

    Tip wrote:
    > "Nepatsfan" <> wrote in message
    >> Tip wrote:
    >>> A friend recently had the hard drive crash on his Dell. I
    >>> replaced the hard drive and got all the Windows XP updates.
    >>> Installed anti-virus and Ad-Aware. I installed several in a
    >>> row before rebooting so I am not quite sure when the
    >>> problem started. I think it was after a AdAware install
    >>> but not sure. The message pops up after Windows boots and
    >>> after Admin account has loaded.
    >>> Error Msg:
    >>>
    >>> Windows No Disk
    >>> There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into
    >>> drive.
    >>> Cancel - Try Again - Continue.
    >>>

    >>> Any help as what to look into besides re-install. I plan on
    >>> going into msconf and turning stuff off until I hopefully
    >>> can find the culprit.
    >>> Thx,
    >>> --
    >>> Tip
    >>> www.gotips.net
    >>
    >> When you installed Windows did you have any drives attached
    >> to the computer? How about a Zip Drive (internal or
    >> external), flash drive or card reader? Check to see if
    >> Windows was installed on a drive other than C and C has
    >> been assigned to a removable drive. You might want to take
    >> a look at this article: "There Is No Disk in the Drive"
    >> Error Message When You
    >> Start Your Computer
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330137
    >>
    >> If this is the source of your problem, then your going to
    >> have to decide if your friend can live with Windows not
    >> residing on the C drive. If not, you're going to have to
    >> reinstall Windows with nothing connected to the computer
    >> except the mouse, keyboard and monitor. Changing the system
    >> drive to C is possible but, in my opinion, not worth all
    >> the effort. You can also take a look in Event Viewer for
    >> error messages
    >> associated with this problem. They may give you a clue as
    >> to exactly which drive is the culprit.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> Nepatsfan
    >
    > Update:
    >
    > I went over today with my bag of software and checklist
    > expecting the worst. (Re-install of XP).
    >
    > Clicked on My Computer and noticed the hard drive was set as
    > F:, The C: drive was listed as removable media (usb camera).
    > I moved the camera from C: to G: and problem was solved.
    > Hard Drive is now listed as F: but that doesn't really
    > matter to me or friend so all is well. I wasn't looking
    > forward to fixing the problem but was Very happy I got it
    > all figured out in about 15 minutes. Guess next time I will
    > pay more attention when installing and unplug any USB
    > devices not needed till after the XP install. Live and
    > learn.
    > Thanks Nepatsfan that is just what I needed.
    > :-)
    >

    > --
    > Tip
    > www.gotips.net

    You're welcome. Glad to hear you got it fixed.

    Nepatsfan
  9. i have a laptop presario 2100 compaq
    when i turn it on it says disk error restart computer.
    what do to do?
  10. Actually i tried the priority hitting delete befo' xp started but a problem now is, the no disc window is showing up on my screen every 5/10 seconds. Please reply 2 me on sidharth.kumar12345@gmail.com

Disk Error Windows XP