Overclocking using the Asus EPU-Engline.

lee-gamer

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
As you may all know on all AsusP45 boards there is the EPU-Engine which allows the user to save energy while performing little task or nothing.

The Problem with the EPU-Engine is that your CPU must be at stock speed that is no overclocking.
So my questions is it recommended to use it for Overclocking as it can do by using the Turbo Mode Setting?

I have a P5Q-E + Pentium D 945 3.4 GHz but I'm projecting to buy the Q9400 or the Q9550.

I know the Pentium D is not good at overclocking since it consume a lot of power and generate a lot of heat.
The EPU-Engine just keep it cool.

Hope you guys with much experience will help out????

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Personally I always opt for BIOS overclocking than EPU engine. By using BIOS, you can manually control all aspect of overclocking - frequency, voltage, timing, etc.

The EPU engine does not support overclocking. The EPU is supposed to help reduce power consumption by reducing the VRM used in regulating the CPU voltage. When the CPU is at idle, and EIST kicked in, EPU can help by reducing the number of idle VRMs.

However when overclocking, most, if not all of the VRMs are regulating the Vcore. Therefore EPU is practically useless under overclocking.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I use an ASUS P45. I tinkered with the EPU engine for awhile but I eventually just disabled it. It was causing some wierd stability issues.

If you plan on overclocking then dont even worry about it, as it becomes disabled anyways unless in Turbo like you said and then its completely pointless and just a resource hog. But if you arent OCing, then it wont hurt to keep it on, but these "energy saving/green" programs and what not dont produce noticble results.

lee-gamer

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
You can overclock with EPU-Engine. You just has to configure the Turbo Mode setting where you can increase or decrease the following:
Vcore voltage
Chipset voltage
CPU Frequency

You can overclock but by a little merge.

All I want to know is if this is a good method.

lee-gamer

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
Well yeah I experienced it in the morning as got a BSOD when I pudh the CPU to 10% more which is a gain of 20GHz.

Well I think I have to give up on overclocking since I like the EPU-Engine and it is very useful to save energy as normally the pentium D use about 130w but with the EPU on Max Power Saving it is about 40w which is a save of 90w..

That's incredible.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I believe Intel's speed step technology would save a lot more power than the EPU. You can still overclock the CPU, but when its not being heavily used, it will drop back down in clockspeed.

lee-gamer

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
Maybe but I doubt that Intel speed step will be that effective.
Normally I see that when the CPU is not under load the the CPU multiplier is dropped to a lower level, but the FSB remain the same but with the EPU both goes down.