Multiple SATA controllers on MB

SDg81

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Hello and tia for consideration to this discussion. I have purchased a new mb and it features two SATA controllers. One controller is a Gigabyte controller with 2 SATA ports and the other is an AMD SB750 controller with 6 SATA ports. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P. My questions is how to best utilize these controllers. I have 4 hard drives installed (all SATA) on this system utilized by task:

Primary 36G Raptor just for the operating system (XP sp3),

a drive for my tv tuner card recording tv,

a drive for active (almost always) downloads from bit-torrent and/or usenet,

and a drive just for storage.

Should I allocate the drives between the two controllers and if so with what emphasis? Or should I load all the drives on one controller to avoid necessitating the two to dance--or communicate with each other. I've googled this somewhat, but either don't know how to properly phrase the question or there just isn't much discussion in this regard. Any ideas? Oh yeah, and I've noticed that when I watch tv and am using the time-shifting feature, and am back by any more than one minute, then the picture jumps (slightly) which I assume is the difficulty of recording at 4gigs/hr and playing back. The time shift temp file is on the primary and cannot be moved to coincide with the hard drive I am recording to, so I guess there is a certain duality in that stress on the system. Once again, I appreciate feedback or points to links which can help me better understand how to best manage multiple hard-drives and writing tasks with multiple controllers.

Finally, the system:
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
AMD Phenom X4 945 3.0
MSI N9600 GT 1G
4G of OCZ 1066, but running at 800 (why?) GANGED mode

The Gigabyter controller is a little faster, though not really a big difference unless you are running RAID. The best thing about 2 controllers though is if you want, you can use one for RAID, and one for regular drives. I would just put all my drives on the AMD controller and forget about it.
As far as your memory goes, sounds like you have the memory in the wrong slots.
They should be in the first 2 slots closest to the processor. When you put them in the correct slots, your memory will run at 1066 in the UNGANGED mode. When you use a Phenom processor, the UNGANGED mode is the default mode, and the faster mode.

SDg81

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

Thank you for your response, I didn't see it 'till this evening...was expecting an email notification, so you say just throw everything on one controller when possible. OK, and thanks again.

Oh, btw, memory is located properly, I set it to ganged mode to see if it helped the system with regard to the tv tuner/recording issues i have. The question i posed was why at 800 instead of 1066, which it does not run at in either mode. If you have a simple solution and it's not inconvenient please elaborate, but I know I can google that and come up with lots of stuff. Once again, thanks for the response.