Sign in with
Your question

Calling all owners of Asus Rampage II extreme mobo - help!

Last response: in Overclocking
August 24, 2009 9:27:53 PM

Hi. Super noob here.

I need some help because I don't know what I'm doing. I have overclocked my i7 920 to 3.6 (19X200 bclk) but have managed to do this only by reducing dram frequency to 1200. In fact I have 3X2 1600 ddr3 ram, but with the cpu overclocked as stated I can't use the memory at this frequency (I'd be doubly grateful if someone could explain why not).

Anyway, someone has told me to turn the ram voltage up to 1.65 - by which i suppose he means the dram voltage in bios and to set memory multiplier from x6 to x8 and do the same with the uncore multiplier. Fine. My question is: where do i find this multiplier in the asus bios?! I don't think there is one!

Please, can someone point out the blindingly obvious to me and help me get my ram up to speed whilst maintaining this overclock.
September 15, 2009 2:40:13 PM

Great question, I've ordered a Rampage II Extreme with an i7 920 and am curious about this as well.
September 15, 2009 2:58:45 PM

when the ram gets too much power and unstable it shuts down, you gotta turn it down when u clock the cpu cuz you're overclocking it all, not jus the processor, so its best to turn it way down, get your cpu where u want it, the go back up as much as you can with the ram.
Related resources
September 15, 2009 5:32:10 PM

Hey

Aparently, it doesn't have a memory multiplier; I don't think you can choose the frequency yourself. Rather, there are pre-assigned frequencies which you can pick from.

It's a great board - really, so easy to overclock the cpu with.

Have fun!
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2009 3:52:38 PM

On older asus boards you have several dram frequencies to pick from - and those are your Ram speeds on different multipliers. It may be similar on your rampage - those speeds should change when you change the bclk, check it.
March 13, 2010 3:40:09 PM

hey EXTREME noob here.
i want to overclock my i7 920 to 3.6GHZ on rampage II extreme
my case is rly well ventilated..so what do i have to do to achieve what i want?
May 15, 2010 6:20:03 PM

Get a lot of fans and a good cpu cooler
June 4, 2010 8:22:46 PM

Well there are alot of variables first up your base clock to 180 and your cpu multi to 20 which will give you 3.6 which I am at myself. BUT to start with drop your memory down as low as it will go or 1066 or close to that. I am at 1.10v cpu 1.35v qpi and 1.64v dram. but you may be able to do yours with lower cpu volts not every cpu are equal. Hope this helps you.
!