My Windows XP Professional Laptop is Possessed

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Windows XP
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2005 3:32:54 AM

It's a Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop with Windows XP Professional

I'll be typing anything (in any application or project) and the cursor
(focus) will arbitrarily jump to a different part of the screen --
sometimes outside of the project to an icon or something on the
desktop! People looking over my shoulder have witnessed this very
strange behavior in disbelief. I have absolutely no idea why -- or
even when it started to do this. I don't think it's related to the
hardware. I changed the mouse and it still does the same thing. I'll
be typing a formula in a spreadsheet, turn away briefly to resume
typing -- and find that I am screwing up the formula in a different
cell! ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!

I have got Macafee virus protection (updated), firewall, Ad-Aware
(updated) etc. etc.

Has anyone else experienced this insanity?????

Thanks for any suggestions.

RBollinger

More about : windows professional laptop possessed

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2005 9:59:19 AM

Sounds like you are skimming the touchpad.

Try turning it off.

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
"robboll" <robboll@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It's a Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop with Windows XP Professional
>
> I'll be typing anything (in any application or project) and the cursor
> (focus) will arbitrarily jump to a different part of the screen --
> sometimes outside of the project to an icon or something on the
> desktop! People looking over my shoulder have witnessed this very
> strange behavior in disbelief. I have absolutely no idea why -- or
> even when it started to do this. I don't think it's related to the
> hardware. I changed the mouse and it still does the same thing. I'll
> be typing a formula in a spreadsheet, turn away briefly to resume
> typing -- and find that I am screwing up the formula in a different
> cell! ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!
>
> I have got Macafee virus protection (updated), firewall, Ad-Aware
> (updated) etc. etc.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this insanity?????
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> RBollinger

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2005 1:19:07 PM

Open XP's "Help and Support" and type: TEXT SERVICES , and hit enter.
Then click on "Turn text services off or on". You need to turn-off text
services.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"robboll" wrote:

| It's a Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop with Windows XP Professional
|
| I'll be typing anything (in any application or project) and the cursor
| (focus) will arbitrarily jump to a different part of the screen --
| sometimes outside of the project to an icon or something on the
| desktop! People looking over my shoulder have witnessed this very
| strange behavior in disbelief. I have absolutely no idea why -- or
| even when it started to do this. I don't think it's related to the
| hardware. I changed the mouse and it still does the same thing. I'll
| be typing a formula in a spreadsheet, turn away briefly to resume
| typing -- and find that I am screwing up the formula in a different
| cell! ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!
|
| I have got Macafee virus protection (updated), firewall, Ad-Aware
| (updated) etc. etc.
|
| Has anyone else experienced this insanity?????
|
| Thanks for any suggestions.
|
| RBollinger
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2005 12:50:55 AM

Manny Borges wrote:
> Sounds like you are skimming the touchpad.
>
> Try turning it off.

Was going to say the same thing. Had the exact problem with a Toshiba
notebook a couple of years ago. Turning off the touchpad did the trick.

Regards
Echy
Melbourne, Australia
www.visitvictoria.com