My Windows XP Professional Laptop is Possessed

It's a Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop with Windows XP Professional

I'll be typing anything (in any application or project) and the cursor
(focus) will arbitrarily jump to a different part of the screen --
sometimes outside of the project to an icon or something on the
desktop! People looking over my shoulder have witnessed this very
strange behavior in disbelief. I have absolutely no idea why -- or
even when it started to do this. I don't think it's related to the
hardware. I changed the mouse and it still does the same thing. I'll
be typing a formula in a spreadsheet, turn away briefly to resume
typing -- and find that I am screwing up the formula in a different
cell! ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!

I have got Macafee virus protection (updated), firewall, Ad-Aware
(updated) etc. etc.

Has anyone else experienced this insanity?????

Thanks for any suggestions.

RBollinger
3 answers Last reply
More about windows professional laptop possessed

    Sounds like you are skimming the touchpad.

    Try turning it off.

    --
    Manny Borges
    MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

    The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    -- Marty Feldman
    "robboll" <robboll@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > It's a Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop with Windows XP Professional
    >
    > I'll be typing anything (in any application or project) and the cursor
    > (focus) will arbitrarily jump to a different part of the screen --
    > sometimes outside of the project to an icon or something on the
    > desktop! People looking over my shoulder have witnessed this very
    > strange behavior in disbelief. I have absolutely no idea why -- or
    > even when it started to do this. I don't think it's related to the
    > hardware. I changed the mouse and it still does the same thing. I'll
    > be typing a formula in a spreadsheet, turn away briefly to resume
    > typing -- and find that I am screwing up the formula in a different
    > cell! ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!
    >
    > I have got Macafee virus protection (updated), firewall, Ad-Aware
    > (updated) etc. etc.
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced this insanity?????
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.
    >
    > RBollinger

    Open XP's "Help and Support" and type: TEXT SERVICES , and hit enter.
    Then click on "Turn text services off or on". You need to turn-off text
    services.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Manny Borges wrote:
    > Sounds like you are skimming the touchpad.
    >
    > Try turning it off.

    Was going to say the same thing. Had the exact problem with a Toshiba
    notebook a couple of years ago. Turning off the touchpad did the trick.

    Regards
    Echy
    Melbourne, Australia
    www.visitvictoria.com