Problem installing WD7501AALS HDD in Dell AMD

regalwhiskey

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I'm trying to install a Western Digital 750GB Black Caviar HDD and it seems or acts like it does not have enough voltage or amps from the Power Supply P5 connector. When I connect this line and try to boot the system,The system trys to boot to windows but goes dim and freezes at the microsoft copywrite.(OSVistaPrem) If I then unplug (hot) the new storge drive, windows will boot to the primary OS drive. I'm thinking the problem might be in the Dell 305W power supply by triggering an overload sensor or something that reduces current flow, or maybe I just got a defective bad drive.
I've also heard that this drive is not compatable with all SATA ll drive controller chips.?
I've hooked the SATA ll data cable to the Sata ll drive port 1 on the mobo while the primary drive is connected to port 0. (correct?)
I don't know how to diagnose this problem, so I've also written WD for answers and your comments and reply's here are greatly appreciated.
This my first HDD install.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That drive probably only uses about 10 Watts (unless it's faulty). Check your BIOS Setup screens where the Boot Priority Sequence is set. It should NOT try to use the new drive as a boot device. What you describe almost sounds like it is trying to use that HDD during the boot sequence, but cannot because it is not a bootable device. By the time the system displays the Microsoft splash screen, it already should have started up the drives and verified that they are usable.

You do not have a SATA version incompatibility problem. All SATA II controllers can handle both original and second-version SATA drives. The only incompatibility problem that pops up sometimes is trying to use a newer SATA II drive with an older SATA controller - sometimes that particular combo needs help.

regalwhiskey

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
8.4W of power consumption. I entered setup and only allowed the Primary HDD to boot and second boot drive will be the DVD. All other drives are disabled. The bios is not recognizing the new drive as present. The SATA ll disk drive 1 is on (allowed) and I just reinstalled (flashburned) the latest Dell BIOS. The same problem and symptoms exists. WD has not yet answered my request for assistance so im still open to answers or suggestions. THX

P.S. I'm assuming I can't do a fomat and partition job on this new drive untill the BIOS recognizes it and the primary OS drive will see it in Storage Disk Management.
I just mounted it and plugged it in out of the box.with no other prep. THX

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A brief reminder: when you update (flash) a BIOS chip the next step is to force it to reset - the procedure of removing the battery and shorting the BIOS reset pins for 5 seconds, then replace the battery. Then you have to boot into BIOS and set all the options that you want to have different from default.

Now, it is very telling that your BIOS cannot even "see" the HDD. That means one of three things:

1. Your mobo is faulty and its SATA controller port is dead. Is the other drive that still works on a SATA port? Try connecting the new drive to that port, with that cable, to see if it shows up in BIOS.
2. You have bad data or power cables to the new drive.
3. The HDD itself is dead. Can you try it in another machine? Maybe you need to talk to Tech Support at WD, not Dell.

regalwhiskey

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Cables and ports are all OK. The HDD is not dead but maybe defective. I touch the power connector and can fell vibration so Its probably spinning. I have a power cable extension in route, so I'll connect this new drive to another power source line (P9) just to be sure a PS sensor is not limiting the watts and voltage supply to the P3-P5 circuit.
I thank you for your reply's as I'm now fairly sure this WD HDD needs to be returned.

regalwhiskey

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Yes HDD was defective.
Western Digital replaced it quickly. It now performs flawlessly but cost $5.99 for the return shipping on a new defective drive. Also it was replaced with a reconditioned drive and a 3 Year warranty, not 5 years.