To 9800 GTX SLI and 8800 SLI owners

shening

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
How is SLI in newer games, Crysis, COD4, Assasins Creed, gears of war etc.

My main question is, do you have problems in newer games with microstuttering ? Because i see the benches and the results are very promissing but it doesnt show if there are a lot of stuttering problems.

Thanks

Sebastian

pauldh

Illustrious
I can't speak for anyone else, but microstuttering has not been a big issue with my SLI 8800GT setup in Crysis or COD4. I was thrilled with the performance and gaming experience. Need for Speed Pro street on the other hand, it was very noticeable and quickly annoying.

Overall, I feel it's blown out of proportion with people who have never even seen it using it as fuel in a multi GPU bashing fire. BUT, my song would/will change if a game I wanted to play (and could really use the performance boost of SLI in) suffered greatly from it. So I can't fault anyone who has the issue for being ticked and vocal about it.

pauldh

Illustrious
no problem.

BTW, I should add, the microstutter issue, as I have observed, will not at all keep me away from using or recommending dual GPU solutions. Matter of fact, dual GPU's are often the best bang for various price ranges IMO (assuming compatible mobo).

monsta

Splendid
No problem here with microstuttering running Quad SLI. My buds 9800GTX+ SLI doesnt have that problem either.Getting fast ram and lots of it and a fast CPU will reduce microstutter. I wouldnt let any miscrostutter issues keep me away from it IMO just like pauldh.

pauldh

Illustrious

:D Yeah, pretty much my reaction to the whole blowout too until I started playing NFS Pro Street. I played the retail, but you should try the demo anyway and see if you notice the problem.

OK, I'll give it a go as soon as work commitments allow. :)