Hard Drive not detected suddenly (please help ASAP! )

colorfulfly

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Hello everyone

Suddenly, my P5Q motherboard will not detect my WD5000AAKDS WD 500 GB SATA II 7200 RPM 16 MB harddrive. It would go to the Blue screen where I could press DEL and go to Bios or "TAB" which actually brings me no where. And if I do not press anything, it takes me to the system recovery page. No matter what I click, I cannot get fully in to Windows Vista. It would go to the Windows Vista loading screen for one second and then restart my computer. This is a new computer and I have been using it for about 5 days without any problems. This problem only started about 4-6 hours ago.

Some please help me fix this issue as soon as possible. =[

FYI, the screen that tells me "no hard drive detected" is all black with white text. It only shows up for a short period of time. I have called Asus Tech support and they told me it is either a HDD issue or Ram timing issue.

This is what I have:

Asus P5Q Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

OCZ DDR2 4GB D/C Kit PN - OCZ10004GK PC2-8000 Platitnum Edition Dual Channel

WD5000AAKDS WD 500 GB SATA II 7200 RPM 16 MB

Asus Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

Samsung 22x DVD+RW 22x DVD-RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe Rewriter

Antec Nine Hundred

Antec Earth Watt 650W

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Have you tried testing the HDD with something such as SeaTools? It should work with most HDDs. You will have to install both the HDD and the software in another computer to use it but it will tell you if your drive is working or not.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Is it showing in the BIOS under Main? Also many BIOS's have an option to run a HDD test (using SMART) that may give you more info. Can't find a good picture of the menu layout for that particular MoBo so Ican't say for sure if it has the HDD test capability.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
You, if you have another system you can test with could try to detect it in that other system.
All the disk hard drive utilities in the world will not help if the system bios does not see the drive, esp seatools for a wd drive. lol
it might be RMA time.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Were you getting this "Blue screen" before? Or this "no hard disk detected" message? Because if not than Im guessing you somehow restored bios to default settings, as the first one is just an Asus logo screen by default displayed instead of POST screen, the other is a message that no PATA drive is found, which is logical as your disk is SATA. Both can be disalbled in BIOS but the bottom line is IS THE DRIVE VISIBLE IN BIOS SETUP?

leeso

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I've got about the same setup and problem. I got Maxtor 500G drive as a storage drive that was working fine till now (only a few months old now). This morning i boot up and try to search stuff on my storage drive but my computer has absolutely no clue about its existence. BIOS does not find this hdd either. Neither does my other computer.

The hdd doesn't sound broken (no ringing sound/cracking sound when i shake the drive). All i hear when i shake it is a noise i'd think comes from the disk rotation. A whistle-like very thin sound. If the drive is plugged it fires up pretty normally, i can feel the disks rotating if i hold the hdd in my hand and it doesn't make any alerting sounds.

Might be the electronics that have just got burnt/broken? Would be easy to fix just to replace the chip outside the hdd with an identical one? Any assumptions how much it would cost to get this repaired?

P5Q pro mobo

Seth John

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
When you replaced the hard drive. Did you remove the adapter on pins from the old hard drive and put it on the new drive when you installed it. Or is that the adapter that you bought new.

Paddo-Head

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
hey everyone,

Today my freecom hdd with USb 3.0 was deliverd.
So i was trying it out and it dind work. Allthough it does work when i connect it to an USB 2.0 port.
You would say my 3.0 port is borken. But my mouse (USB 2.0) works fine in the USB 3.0 port. I started searching the web and tryd several things. Updating USB drivers, changing bios settings etc. But after a while I was listening to music and my HDD was still connected in the USB 3.0 port. I stated noticing the sound of an USB connecting and disconnecting. So i opend windows 7 configuration screen on the hardware section 'printers and devices' and I started to the the device popping up and disconnecting again. So i thought maybe i could install some drivers for my external hard drive(HDD). When the HDD popped for about one sec i managed to right click it and inspect it. It seems there were no drivers availible. So i searched the web for the drives so I could manually install them. There were no drivers availible for download becouse the drivers were uptodate. So i stated searching for updates for the HDD. And BAM there is was the update for the device itself (No driver update but a device (Makes searching better)) So the next problem is. The HDD dind connect to the computer for more than one sec. So I started to think how to update this HDD while i can't connect it. Than the idea popped up. The problem was that the HDD dind work on an USB 3.0 but DID work on USB 2.0. So I connected the HDD to my USB 2.0 port and installed the update. After the installation I disconnected the cable from my computer and connected it AGAIN to USB 2.0. It worked. So now I connected the HDD cable to the USB 3.0 port and for a moment i thought NOO *** happens again. But than after one disconnect the device started installing the proper driver (Yes the one that is no were to be found on the web). And that is how i fixed my External hard drive USB 3.0 problem.

Device used:
HARD DRIVE XS 3.0
Part numbers 34134, 34137, 34138

Update found: http://www.freecom.nl/Support/Product <-- Select the right product.

As it costed me more than an hour to find out what the prob was. I thought Id share this with you.
I hope it can help some of you!

Have a nice day,

Lars.

Lou17

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Remove the hard drive from your computer and put it in another computer as a secondary HD. Boot up the system and if you can see the contents of the "Bad" hard drive copy your data to the primary HD, then on Win Vista or Win 7 go to RUN - cmd e:\drive (bad one) chkdsk /f this will fix the problems on the hard drive 90% of the time. Put the FIXED hard drive back into your computer and start it up. You should not get the hard drive not found error.
Lou

Lou17

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
The OP opened this thread in 2008 and almost 4 years later solved it one way or the other...
Is it true that you solved the problem?

I was referring to 'time' and if the OP (@colorfulfly) didn't solve the problem then they should have posted more than the (1) ONE time.

As far as solving the problem(s) for the OP then huh and no. Most of these issues (drive detection) are because the drive isn't formatted from the Disk Manager for added drives, or the OS install lacked the driver(s) (F6) or the drive is connected to a data only SATA port vs native chipset and bootable. A BSOD @ boot can be as simple as AHCI/RAID vs IDE and all the way through failed hardware. So one persons problems (permutations) isn't necessarily another's.

Folks with similar or even the same problems need to start their own thread.

bentremblay

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Save your time.
Buddy here didn't mention that this article is "Check for loose connections!" Which, actually, is often a real good thing to do.

Addendum: I see no solutions herein.
I see guys sqabbling about where a new post is needed ... doubling the thread's length, but not providing no solution.
/*double sigh*/
p.s. yes I know that this post is old. But when it happens ... you take what you can find. (My PC was dual boot until a few minutes ago.)

bentremblay

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Not so much a solution as a diagnostic tip:
How's this: if BIOS can't detect the device then it's gotta be a hardware fault.
Cabling (disconnect / reconnect) or device failure (should be rare; never doesn't hurt).

^5

TRENDING THREADS