September 23, 2008 10:06:15 PM

i have hyperthreding 3.0ghz 2mb cache cpu
i installed a heatsink with fan for the dual core 2.0ghz 1mb cache
i had a heatsink on the 3.0ghz but the fan stopped working
i bought the dualcore heatsink but i noticed that its smaller than the old one
will it work right on the 3.0ghz cpu? :??: 

More about : question heatsinks

September 23, 2008 10:33:18 PM

What cpu are you using specifically? Is it an intel or amd?

As for the heatsink it might work but normally manufactures make heatsinks that do the job for a given processor, so if you are putting a heatsink from a lower heat processor onto a higher heat processor then chances are you are going to run into some sort of heat problems, but as long as the heatsink will fit (ie both LGA 775 or whatever) then i guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

I would save yourself the trouble and just pick up an aftermarket heatsink.
September 23, 2008 10:34:31 PM

Also make sure that when you put the new heatsink on (either the aftermarket or the older one you have) make sure to clean off all of the old thermal paste and apply some new thermal paste.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2008 11:16:42 PM

I don't see this as working. The P4s put out so much more heat compared to the C2D, that the new heatsink would/should have a hell of a time trying to remove that much more heat. As you said yourself, the new one is smaller, I don't see this going well.

Have you tried replacing just the dead fan? If you can't, the best thing to do is get a new HSF and thermal paste.
September 24, 2008 2:47:57 AM

Yeah, what CPUs are you talking about? Are these AMD or Intel?

You have to be careful on which heatsink you get. They are designed specifically for a certain socket. If you are talking bout Intel CPUs...it sounds like you got a heatsink for a 775 socket and are asking if it will fit in a 478 MOBO.
September 26, 2008 1:18:51 PM

GUYS I AM USINNG INTEL HYPERTHREADING CPU 3.0GHZ 2MB CACHE
AND USING THE HEATSINK FOR THE DUAL-CORE 2.0GHZ 1MB CACHE
I INSTALLED IT AND IT FITS BUT THE CPU TEMPERATURE IN NORMAL CONDITIONS IS 55-60 CELISIUS
WHEN I START A GAME IT IS 65-75 C
IS THAT TEMPERATURE HIGH?
AND IS THE CPU IN DANGER?
a c 159 à CPUs
September 26, 2008 1:39:40 PM

No. If your heatsink is all aluminum, then your temps will be higher. I waited for a good price; found a heatpipe copper and aluminum heatsink for only $7 plus shipping at newegg's open box section.
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2008 1:47:56 AM

Re-read my post. The older P4s put out more heat then the newer C2D CPUs. I knew which CPUs you were talking about, and told you to either replace fan, or buy a new HSF. The older P4s are known to throttle themselves if/when they get to hot, I'm sure your CPU is doing that now.

As your swapping these heatsinks around, don't forget to use new thermal paste.
!