Zire 72 bluetooth... now what?

November 23, 2004 3:07:56 PM

Hi all,

I've just got my zire 72 as a warranty replacement for the zire 71 and I
read that it has bluetooth on it. Now what? I don't ever plan on buying a
phone to hook it up to since I've already purchased a cell phone. What's
the deal with the wifi aspect of this pda, how can I use this?

Phil...

More about : zire bluetooth

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 2:29:22 AM

"Phil Williamson" <p_williamson@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've just got my zire 72 as a warranty replacement for the zire 71 and I
> read that it has bluetooth on it. Now what? I don't ever plan on buying
> phone to hook it up to since I've already purchased a cell phone. What's
> the deal with the wifi aspect of this pda, how can I use this?
>
> Phil...

Bluetooth is NOT WiFi. Bluetooth is a wireless standard that can be used to
connect devices in a (very) localized area. You can get a Bluetooth adapter
for your PC or you can get a Bluetooth Access Point for your network and
connect to the web. You won't be able to walk into a local WiFi Hotspot and
connect using Bluetooth. Most if not all of these sites are using 802.11
networking which is NOT the same as Bluetooth.

I believe you can get a WiFi add-on card for the Zire 72 and use it to
connect wirelessly to a home or business network.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 11:07:00 PM

Hello Phil,

Paul from palmOne here. Congrats on your new Zire 72. You don't
necessarily need a phone to find uses for Bluetooth. You can also
connect to other bluetooth enabled devices, such as cameras and other
handhelds, to share files wirelessly. Or, you can access the Internet
through your desktop computer's network connection.
And, as TC says, the Zire 72 is capable of wifi with a wifi card.
This allows you to connect anywhere you have wifi access - at home,
office, hotels, cafes and airports using wifi.
- Just a little more info for you.

Best

Paul

--