Maxtor Basics portable storage 250Gb external not working

takenra

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Hi,

I have a maxtor 250Gb 2.5" external USB drive (powered from USB only). It was connected to a PC running Vista and according to Vista had finished copying files, but it would not let me disconnect the drive. I left it connected for another 30 minutes after trying to eject it while doing something else and then just pulled the plug as I still couldn't disconnect the drive normally. While I know its not the best way to do it, having killed a flash drive this way, given that the computer hadn't done anything for 30 mins I figured any processes running on the drive would have finished.

Now when the drive is plugged into the computer, the light on the front comes on and it starts making a funny repeating noise that sounds like something is slipping (although sounds more electronic than mechanical) which lasts for about 5 mins before stopping. The drive is not recognised by the computer so I can't get to the files. While the files aren't critical it would be good to get them back.

While I would like to avoid this, in a worst case scenario, could I open the case and plug the drive directly into the computer and see if the drive itself is ok.

Any suggestions on what to do, gratefully received.

TheViper

Distinguished
Check it on another computer first if you can.

Also, set up the hardware policy so that writing is instant and not batched for later writing by doing the following:

1. Open Device manager.
2. Right click your external disk drive and select properties.
3. Select policies tab.
4. Select Quick Removal.

pathasse

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
I dropped mine and had to open it. Sometimes it happens. You can always get an external enclosure. or in your case possibly salvage your current enclosure if you have to tear it apart.

takenra

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I tried using a different computer but same issues. I think either the electronics in the USB connector or the drive itself has gone.

Anyone know how to open the case to get at the drive itself? While ideally I'd like to be able to reuse the case, if its not possible to salvage it, I'll just get a new case.

MsX

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
I have the same problem. I know the drive is ok as on system restore to an earlier time opens ok for a while (time enough to shift your files) I think windows is blocking for some reason, and gives error codes.

G

aw_chris

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Hi, Did either of you manage to recover from this problem? I now have what sounds like the same issue and desperately need a solution. I really hope that it is electronics and not the actual platters / heads that are damaged :(