Sign in with
Your question

too many amps on single 12v rail?

Last response: in Components
September 24, 2008 2:50:39 AM

Forgive me if I sound completely ignorant, as I'm not well-versed in power supplies. I've been thinking about purchasing a 610w PC Power & Cooling PSU in preparation for a video card upgrade (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005). This PSU has 49a on a single 12v rail. I've recently read that it may not be safe too have such high amperage on a single rail, due to the risk of a short causing a fire, melted wires, or other damage.

Is this something to worry about? For that matter, what could cause such a short to begin with? Apparently plenty of people use these PSUs with no problem, and they're very highly rated, but I'm just trying to be safe.

More about : amps single 12v rail

September 24, 2008 2:52:47 AM

Too much power through single rail... That's what they were worried about in the olden times, so they required artificially splitting rails. It's been a long time since then, large single rails will work fine. Don't worry about it. :p 
September 24, 2008 8:15:09 AM

Pretty much any PSU can cause a fire if it fails in that way. But that is the reason never to buy a cheap PSU :)  If you get a quality PSU you shouldn't have to worry, although nothing is impossible.
Related resources
September 24, 2008 11:13:02 AM

let me continue what lucuis was saying

that IS a quality psu. go for it, you can't lose
September 24, 2008 2:13:33 PM

eklipz330 said:
let me continue what lucuis was saying

that IS a quality psu. go for it, you can't lose

I must agree with the Joker.
There is no such thing like too many amps on the 12v rail.

Reminds of and old saying regarding women....
September 24, 2008 2:24:44 PM

The amperage on a rail only tells you the amount of power it potentially can deliver. And a shortcut with 5 amps will melt something just as it would do with 25 amps; if the device fails and thus doesn't shut off it's the same...
Just as the others said, make sure you've got a good quality device and you'll be fine.
September 24, 2008 10:59:55 PM

As mentioned above, the best safety precaution is to buy a good-quality power supply. PCPC is the Mercedes of power supply makers, so I wouldn't worry about that choice.
!