Why are there 5 different kinds of AMD CPUs?????

I currently have an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (I built this PC May 2007).

I'm considering upgrading the CPU to a 6400+, if the performance jump is big enough. If not, I'll wait another 6 months or so until my PC is obsolete and then replace my mobo, cpu, ram etc.

So I went to the performance charts and found this:

Quote:
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ EE (F3)
* Orleans,2400/200,NF590,800,Socket AM2,2x 64+64KB,512 KB

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ EE (F2)

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ EE (G1)
* Lima,2400/200,NF590,800,Socket AM2,2x 64+64KB,512 KB

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (F2)
* Windsor-512,2000/200,NF590,800,Socket AM2,2x 64+64KB,512 KB

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ EE (F3)

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2008-q1-2008/Unreal-Tournament-2004,Marque_fbrandx32,398.html

Um, what the heck?????????

Why are there 5 different kinds of the same CPU???

How do I know which one is mine?

What makes it worse is that they're all at different performance levels. So I have no idea how much of a performance difference there is from my 3800+ to a 6400+.

Does anyone know how I can tell which one I have?
42 answers Last reply
More about kinds cpus
  1. I believe some of those are single core and others (x2) are dual cores and you have revision upgrades that sometimes puts it on the charts more than once...
  2. ^+1 CPU-Z

They have different cores and different steppings.
  3. englandr753 said:
    I believe some of those are single core and others (x2) are dual cores and you have revision upgrades that sometimes puts it on the charts more than once...

I have a dual-core.

So how do I know which one is mine?
  4. Paul22000 said:
    I have a dual-core.

So how do I know which one is mine?

Look carefully. It also shows stepping.
  5. dagger said:

Can you elaborate a bit?
  6. dagger said:
    Look carefully. It also shows stepping.

Look carefully where? On the processor itself? oO
  7. The 6400 is a very big jump over the 3800 and is worth the upgrade.

What is the model/mfgr of your motherboard?
  8. No, hes talking about the info from running CPUz. Did you install and run it yet?
  9. While the 6400+ is a big jump, I would want to know the rest of his specs.
    Memory, GPU, PSU, etc..... (And what he wants to do.)
    It could be one of these other areas needs improving as well or even more.

The 5000+ or 5400+ Black edtions are not quite as fast when OC'd but would be less expensive options to get you close for less cash.
  10. englandr753 said:
    The 6400 is a very big jump over the 3800 and is worth the upgrade.

What is the model/mfgr of your motherboard?

ECS GeForce6100SM-M Motherboard

Is that good enough for the upgrade?

Also, I believe my current chip is 89 W. But the 6400 is 125W.

Is it still okay to upgrade?
  11. englandr753 said:
    No, hes talking about the info from running CPUz. Did you install and run it yet?

Ah, gotcha.

Here's what I got:

I have revision BH-F2, so does that mean I have the second one?

Quote:
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+ EE (F2)
  12. No, that would indicate you have the fourth one.

Quote:

Bolded are the key details which you can get from CPU-Z.
  13. zenmaster said:
    While the 6400+ is a big jump, I would want to know the rest of his specs.
    Memory, GPU, PSU, etc..... (And what he wants to do.)
    It could be one of these other areas needs improving as well or even more.

The 5000+ or 5400+ Black edtions are not quite as fast when OC'd but would be less expensive options to get you close for less cash.

Goal: Mostly gaming, WoW, TF2, Bioshock, etc

MOTHERBOARD: ECS GeForce6100SM-M Motherboard

VIDEO: ATI Radeon 3850 HD

POWER SUPPLY: Cooler Master, eXtreme Power 500W, ATX12V V2.01, [Model RP-500-PCAR]

MEMORY: 1 stick of 2GB PC6400 Patriot 800 MHz [Model PEP22G6400EL]

Question:

It says it's running at 334.9 MHz.

Does that mean I'm severely underclocking my ram? (It should say 800 MHz?)
  14. randomizer said:
    No, that would indicate you have the fourth one.

Quote:

Bolded are the key details which you can get from CPU-Z.

forum kittah to the rescue.

Tell you one thing....he needs to get off the single channel ram
  15. turpit said:
    he needs to get off the single channel ram

What do you mean? Is having only 1 stick bad?

Or is "single channel" refer to a certain type of RAM?
  16. Your rig will handle the 6400x2 just fine and I would make the upgrade if it was me.

When you run 1 or odd numbers of ram, dual channel memory sticks will run in single channel. If you have single channel memory then it wont matter, it will run single channel all of the time no matter the configuration.

Google search your memory to see if its single channel ram to be sure. If its dual channel then you can round up another stick and it will run dual mode...
  17. englandr753 said:
    Your rig will handle the 6400x2 just fine and I would make the upgrade if it was me...

Thanks, I will probably upgrade soon then =]

So to recap, two questions I'm still wondering:

About my ram, the CPU-Z says it's at 334 MHz. Shouldn't it say 800 MHz? Is this bad?

And again, about the single channel ram thing. What's that mean?
  18. DDR stands for Double Data Rate - the memory transfers data on the rise and fall of each clock signal, which essentially means it has the bandwidth of single data rate memory twice its speed. So 333MHz DDR memory has the bandwidth of 667MHz SDR memory (if it existed). Manufacturers just use the DDR frequency (also know as effective speed) because it looks better (bigger is better after all ;)), but the RAM is actually running at 333MHz, or there abouts. You are running the RAM under spec, so you are using a memory divider which gives you 333MHz instead of 400MHz (or 800MHz effective).

Now as for single channel vs dual channel...

It has absolutely nothing to do with the RAM itself. The number of possible channels is entirely dependent on the memory controller capabilities and the number of RAM modules you are running. Modern memory controllers are capable of running two channels at once, but that requires an even number of memory sticks, half in one channel, half in the other. Odd numbers of modules will force the memory controller to run in single-channel mode.

Thus all you need for dual channel is another stick of RAM. It should be the same capacity (ie. 2GB), but it doesn't need to be the same speed, as the memory controller will run both at the speed of the slowest module. Ideally then, you want the same speeds too.
  19. Paul22000 said:
    Goal: Mostly gaming, WoW, TF2, Bioshock, etc

MOTHERBOARD: ECS GeForce6100SM-M Motherboard

I just looked on the ECS website for CPU support. They list it under two PCB revisions, but both list the 89watt Athlon X2 6000+ as the highest model supported.

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Support/CPU_Support_Model.aspx?detailid=685&MenuID=69&LanID=9

PCB Version : V1.0/1.0A BIOS : 08/05/23 lists the Athlon X2 6000+ 89watt as the highest model. (edited to correct typo in wattage, I'd typed 98 by mistake).

Make sure you have the right bios installed when you upgrade your CPU. If you haven't flashed a bios before, make sure you follow ECS's instructions very carefully.

The 5800+ G2 revision is supported and it's still available at Newegg for $79:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103274

Your board does not support 125 watt processors. Newegg lists a currently available 125 watt 6000+ but not the 89 watt 6000+ from the ECS support list. You might want to email ECS's tech support for clarification. I wonder if the listing of 89 watts for a 6000+ is in error, or if there was an 89 watt model that once was available? I switched over from P4's in early 2007, but all the PC's I built had 65 watt Windsors -- and they're all in the process of being upgraded to Phenoms (with my gaming/media encoding PC first!). So, I'm not up on all the different voltages of the last Athlon X2's. Maybe someone here knows if there was an 89 watt 6000+ and if it's still available somewhere like Pricewatch.

Different processors in the same family have different core names. For example, you can find Windsor and Brisbane Athlon X2's with the same clock speed (but sometimes different amounts of cache). They might have the same +number too. That's due to a change in process. Windsors are 90nm and Brisbanes are 65nm. There were also 89 watt Windsors and 65 watt Windsors.

Hope this helps.
  20. randomizer said:
    Now as for single channel vs dual channel...

It has absolutely nothing to do with the RAM itself. The number of possible channels is entirely dependent on the memory controller capabilities and the number of RAM modules you are running. Modern memory controllers are capable of running two channels at once, but that requires an even number of memory sticks, half in one channel, half in the other. Odd numbers of modules will force the memory controller to run in single-channel mode.

Thus all you need for dual channel is another stick of RAM. It should be the same capacity (ie. 2GB), but it doesn't need to be the same speed, as the memory controller will run both at the speed of the slowest module. Ideally then, you want the same speeds too.

Why is it so bad though?

If I were to put the exact same ram in my system, but 2 sticks of 1GB instead of 1 stick of 2GB, how much of a performance increase would I see? (Assuming 2 sticks of 1GB of the same exact ram exist, asking hypothetically)
  21. You're looking at no more than 5-10% usually, benchmarks aside. See here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/PARALLEL-PROCESSING,1705.html

EDIT: That is for an Intel system, it could be different for AMD.
  22. yipsl said:

Your board does not support 125 watt processors. .

HOLY ****

Thank GOD I didn't order the CPU yet, I was planning on sleeping on it haha

THANK YOU!!!

JESUS Christ, that would have been an easy $100 mistake right there, wow!

Well then, for that 5800+ Brisbane...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ Brisbane 3.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103274

Will my 3800+ Heatsink work with it?... If not, what are some good heatsinks from Newegg for it?
  23. Good catch Yipsi. That board must have been released at the time frame prior to the 6400+ release.

Do you have the link on that site available? Did you read the BIOS updates and see if the latest BIOS release upgraded support to the 6400?

If it doesnt then heres an 89watt 6000. This will get you a little closer than the 5800, its a little bit of a bump up, every bit helps...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4140383
  24. It will run kinda hot but it'll do...

Maybe a cheap-ish Zalaman pure copper fan?
  25. I see the cpu list here and Yipsi is correct:

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Support/CPU_Support_Model.aspx?detailid=685&MenuID=69&LanID=9

I dont see anything is the BIOS update release to verify being able to go to the 6400 so the link I provided above is the fastest cpu you can buy for your board.

My apologies for the oversite. It was late and I was tired and shouldve been in the bed.

The 6000 is a great deal and a worthwhile upgrade...
  26. I'd probably go with the 5400+ Black Edition. Again, you'd need to buy a decent fan, but the CPU itself would overclock much better.
  27. englandr753 said:
    Good catch Yipsi. That board must have been released at the time frame prior to the 6400+ release.

Do you have the link on that site available? Did you read the BIOS updates and see if the latest BIOS release upgraded support to the 6400?

If it doesnt then heres an 89watt 6000. This will get you a little closer than the 5800, its a little bit of a bump up, every bit helps...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4140383

Ah, there we go! I actually did email them last night to see if the motherboard didn't support 125W (to see if they made a typo or something).

Thanks for the lnk!
  28. amdfangirl said:
    It will run kinda hot but it'll do...

Maybe a cheap-ish Zalaman pure copper fan?

Any ones you recommend?

I went on newegg and went to socket AM2 heatsinks and it gives only 8 results:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010110574%201371028526&name=Socket%20AM2&Order=REVIEWS

Is that right: only 8 heatsinks for AM2 on Newegg??

Or is their AM2 heatsink filtering not correct?
  29. englandr753 said:
    I see the cpu list here and Yipsi is correct:

I dont see anything is the BIOS update release to verify being able to go to the 6400 so the link I provided above is the fastest cpu you can buy for your board.

My apologies for the oversite. It was late and I was tired and shouldve been in the bed.

The 6000 is a great deal and a worthwhile upgrade...

This is all I could find for the BIOS:

Quote:

I have no idea what that even means. Should I even bother updating the BIOS for that?
  30. Malovane said:
    I'd probably go with the 5400+ Black Edition. Again, you'd need to buy a decent fan, but the CPU itself would overclock much better.

In terms of the Supported CPU list, it doesn't say Black Edition anywhere.

- But are they interchangeable? So it's safe to run on my motherboard?

- If so, which one would be the better buy?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ Brisbane 3.0GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor Model ADA5800IAA5DO - OEM - $79.99

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Brisbane 2.8GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core black edition Processor Model ADO5400DSWOF - Retail - $77.00
  31. When CPUz reports your RAM speed at 335MHz it is actually 'double-pumped' so your speed is 670MHz.

The memory divsor of your CPU is ""6"" so ...

2000MHz divided by 6 = 333MHz x 2 = 664MHz ram speed (close enough :P )

AM2 memory divisors can get a little confusing. The X2 5400+ works perfect if you do not overclock ....

2800MHz divided by 7 = 400MHz x 2 = 800MHz ram speed.

If you choose an X2 5600+ (2.9GHz) or X2 5800+ (3GHz) the memory divisor will be an ""8"", so ...

2900MHz divided by 8 = 363MHz x 2 = 726MHz ram speed
    3000MHz divided by 8 = 375MHz x 2 = 750MHz ram speed

NOW .... the good thing here is when you OC to 3.2GHz (should be reachable with maybe a slight bump in voltage) ...

3200MHz divided by 8 = 400MHz x 2 = 800MHz ram speed
  32. randomizer said:
    You're looking at no more than 5-10% usually, benchmarks aside. See here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/PARALLEL-PROCESSING,1705.html

EDIT: That is for an Intel system, it could be different for AMD.

lol

perspective perspective perspective.....

5~10% is a lot or a little.....depending whos talking about it and in what context.... Who do we know who can take 10% and out of one side of his mouth blow it off as negligable, but out of the other side play it up as the second coming when it suits his purposes?

In this context, depending when he purchased the ram, the single channel may have been same price or even more expensive than the dual channel kit. Meaning he could have gained 5 to 10% for nothing or even saved money doing so.
  33. I dont think I would risk trying the black edition to see if it works. I think your better off getting the faster cpu, in my opinion the 6000x2. The price is good and its faster out of the box at 3ghz and if you dont OC, who cares it will probably be fast enough tbh. You might get to 3.2 or 3.3 with that chip so dont go looking to go wild OCing.
  34. englandr753 said:
    I dont think I would risk trying the black edition to see if it works. I think your better off getting the faster cpu, in my opinion the 6000x2. The price is good and its faster out of the box at 3ghz and if you dont OC, who cares it will probably be fast enough tbh. You might get to 3.2 or 3.3 with that chip so dont go looking to go wild OCing.

Damn.

The thing is, it has to be from newegg. I have a $50 Gift Certificate =]

Yeah, I guess I'll skip the Black Edition, because like you said, just in case it doesn't work...

So I guess from the 13 Athlon X2's Newegg has, my best option is the 5800+ then?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ Brisbane 3.0GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor Model ADA5800IAA5DO - OEM - $79.99

Link for all Athlon 64 X2's on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343%201050717007&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS

If so, what would be a good heatsink to pair it with?
  35. Well, I think the 5400 BE would work. However, if you are leery of that, the 6000+ is only $92 on newegg + free shipping, and it comes with a heatsink:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103272

It's on your ECS approved processor list from what I can tell.
  36. Perfect. It looks as if they just listed this one. No reviews and it didnt show up even 1st thing this morning.

Good timing. So what are you waiting for? Get to ordering!
  37. englandr753 said:
    Perfect. It looks as if they just listed this one. No reviews and it didnt show up even 1st thing this morning.

Good timing. So what are you waiting for? Get to ordering!

Lol, that is INSANE.

Is someone at newegg reading these forums? Haha

*shifty eyes*
  38. Yes, that 6000+ was not there when I did my post. They only had the 125 watt version. I wouldn't put it past Newegg to keep up with forums, but their supply chain is not that resposive. LOL

It's just fortunate that it showed up. Good luck with your upgrade. Me, I want to see if I can overclock my triple core next weekend to the fabled stable 2.7. Might have to get a new heatsink though, I'm only using the one that came with the retail CPU.
  39. If you live near fry's electronics, they have the 5200 with ecs 4 dimm nvidia board for $75 (expires today).
  40. Good ole' Frys. You can depend on them to give you a good chip with a cheap board every once in a while. I usually sell the ECS boards on ebay to recover even more of my money.

So far I havent received any negative feedback yet!! Lucky me...
  41. o1die said:
    If you live near fry's electronics, they have the 5200 with ecs 4 dimm nvidia board for $75 (expires today).

That's actually how I built this PC: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ / ECS Motherboard - $90 @ Fry's. And that was in May 2007. Been working great ever since! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance AMD Socket Product