Sign in with
Your question

ASUS 8800GT Glaciator cooler fan speed manual adjust?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 14, 2008 10:01:28 PM

Ok, I recently got an ASUS 8800GT with the new(ish) Glaciator cooler (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) and I've read around in different threads/forums and apparently everyone else is having the same problem with not being able to manually adjust the fan speed. Ntune and rivatuner don't even present the option to set fan speed... It has a 2-wire connection from the fan to the card itself... so i'm guessing thats why there is no option to manually set the fan speed.

Thing is, I can't hear the fan at all, and I always like to set my GPU fans too 100%, at least for in 3d apps. I would really like to find some way to make the fan spin 100%, even if it's permanently set that way... any ideas would be much appreciated! thanks
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2008 1:01:39 AM

If it has only 2 leads it's a good chance that it's running at 100%. Or you can cut the leads and connect it to a 4 pin molex from the PSU (red to red, black to black). It's a bit of work, but it will run at 100%. I do not recommend you doing this unless you know what you are doing.
August 15, 2008 4:20:11 AM

Your local computer parts dealer should have a Molex to 3-pin male adapter, you can use it (with some force) to mod your 2pin into going full speed. Make sure red goes to red, black goes to black, and you should be all right.
Related resources
August 15, 2008 8:32:44 PM

thanks, I'll give it a try here soon and we'll see how it goes...
February 10, 2010 4:45:32 AM

steiner666 said:
Ok, I recently got an ASUS 8800GT with the new(ish) Glaciator cooler (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) and I've read around in different threads/forums and apparently everyone else is having the same problem with not being able to manually adjust the fan speed. Ntune and rivatuner don't even present the option to set fan speed... It has a 2-wire connection from the fan to the card itself... so i'm guessing thats why there is no option to manually set the fan speed.

Thing is, I can't hear the fan at all, and I always like to set my GPU fans too 100%, at least for in 3d apps. I would really like to find some way to make the fan spin 100%, even if it's permanently set that way... any ideas would be much appreciated! thanks

!