mATX build question

SonicSid

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Hello THF,

I'm in the process of putting together a build for a budget mATX gaming rig. The hardware I've chosen thus far concerning my question is as follows:

1) ASUS P5Q-EM Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
2) EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX vc
3) COOLER MASTER Elite 340 RC-340C case

My question is in regard to space. Specifically, will this monster of a video card fit? It's an inch and a half longer than the board, which shouldn't be a problem provided it will clear the south bridge heat sink. It looks as though the case layout will allow the card to clear the drive bays, but it's impossible to tell for sure from the images I've found.

Does anyone here have experience with installing a 9800gtx in a micro board? Regarding this particular board, my main concern is that the heat sink is taller than the PCIe slot and wont allow the card to seat.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Sid

I built with the exact case several months ago, CM Elite 340 RC-340C. I have installed a 9600GT as well as a mammoth dual slot 8800GTS 640 w/humongous cooler. Be sure and have RAM with 'normal' height heatsinks. Any of the RAM with the super high heatsinks will not work, or fit, in the case. I used the ASUS P5E-VM HDMI Intel G35 Micro motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131237

For example only. If you are using RAM with heatsinks like these, they are too high and will not fit in the case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267

Edit: A modular PSU would work well. I used an Antec non modular 550w and having a lot of spare cables are a bit of a 'space' problem.

SonicSid

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Thanks badge. Exactly the sort of info I was hoping to find. To clarify, the 9800gtx is 1 1/2" longer than either of those cards. It's 10 1/2" compared to 9" for the two you mentioned. As long as it clears the bridge, the extra length should not be an issue, correct?

Oddly enough, I had considered that same RAM with the only difference being a faster speed of DDR2 1066 for OC possibilities. (Incidentally, I've decided to go with the quad Q6600 cpu, but I'm still partial to 32 bit XP over Vista so, for the time being, I'm limiting my system OS wise.) I have since opted for the Crucial ballistics DDR2 1066 due to the height issue. Thank you for the confirmation.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the Antec psu. Again, great minds think alike as I was actually considering a non-modular Antec model of 650w. EA650 to be precise. Decided instead to go with the Antec NeoPower 650.

Cheers!

Sid

I would open the case up and check the clearance on the 8800GTS 640 dual slot that I put in there a few days ago, but my wife is using the system and she has a bunch of junk surounding it currently :eek: . The 8800GTS fit easily and that's with the 6 pin power plug sticking out the back end, so there is room beyond the length of that card to work with. One other thing, I use two DVD RW because we do a lot of Photoshop with clinical photographs burning a lot of CDs with the system. There is no space between the two DVD rw's and they get a little hot. My wife brought my attention to how hot the finished CD was after burning. No way to get a fan up there at the top of the case. The back of the DVD players is not far from the back of the PSU. That small space is where any extra cables from the PSU have to go. It's a bit crowded, but other than the DVD heat problem the rest of the system runs cool enoigh. E8400 with Zalman 9500 cooler = 39-42C idle temps. All in all it's a very nice system and my wife like the small build on her home office desk. I have her using Vista 64 now :lol: . Oh yeah, be sure to use normal height RAM, those tall heatsinks will not clear inside the case. Here's what I have in the case.

E8400
Vista 64
ASUS P5E-VM HDMI Intel G35 Micro MB
8800GTS 640
4 x 1 GB G. Skill PC6400
2 x DVD RW
Antec 550w standard non modular PSU
Zalman 9500 HSF
2 x 120mm Antec Tri Cool case fans plus 1 80mm intake side fan
CM Elite 340 Micro case

It's is packed pretty tight.

SonicSid

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
From the images online it seems there should be plenty room for extra VC length based on the location of the MB mounting holes in the case. I think I'm OK there. May cover a couple of sata sockets but this board has six, so I can probably make it work. I will only have one DVD drive and I don't use it nearly as extensively as you do. As for heat, I'm definitely going to add 2 120mm BB fans and a CPU cooler.

Thanks again for the help, badge.

Sid

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

I did a build somewhat similar, well the idea anyways is.

E3110
xp
ASUS P5E-VM HDMI Intel G35 Micro MB
8800gts 512 [full fledged g92 core]
2*1 GB crucial ballistix [too good of a deal to pass up]
1 DVD RW
1 raptor x 150gb [just b/c i could] [plus watching it spin up and down, is mesmerizing]
1 WD1500ADFD 150gb raptor
1 seagate es.2 250gb
Silverstone 500W EEF, w/ short cable version.
Thermaltake blue orb 2 [i like blue, not sure why, i just do]
1 80mm tt fan, 2 60mm tt fans, and one vnatec 60 mm, fan
Thermaltake lanbox [black]

My only real con is that In order for everything to be rock solid stable I run my gpu fan at 70% or higher, usually i just do the 100%, I know that might shorten it's life, but I forgot the other application that allow you to set it based on its temp...I just use rivatuner, I know there are some other ones, but i can't remember the names...

SonicSid

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I set Rivatuner to run the fan up to 100 from 50 only for 3d apps. Kinda kills 2 birds with a shotgun. I plan on the dual channel 2x1g ballistix for this build. Gonna wait for a sale though. Need to get the card and the psu before the end of the day tomorrow or the psu deal runs out and the cards will be back-ordered. again.

Yeah, I just dont need 5 drive bays and 4 pci slots. Never have, actually.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
yeha but my airflow despite soo many fans doesn't compare to the superior airflow of that cm case u r using so that gpu i ahve gets hot, so i needed a way to adequately disspate the heat, since it's only the gpu that gets wayyy too hot...

Did you try the onboard graphics at all? I didn't, but I may in the future. We are working with close up clinical photograps in photoshop. Like the surface of a tooth, a chip or any discolorment. The occlusion or bite and curvature of teeth and their alignment. Also, facial structure. So, I give her the 8800GTS and Vista 64. Makes for sharp, clear pictures on a 19" widescreen workstation-type setup. The onboard GPU has a built in HDMI connector, but the current monitor we use does not. Maybe use the feature in the future. I wonder how 'sharp' that on board graphics processor can go and if it would serve my needs? Probably. Is the onboard GPU DX10 capable with the Vista 64 OS?