RegClean

August 27, 2005 7:59:13 PM

I understand that MicroSoft used to distribute as an optional download a
registry cleaner utility "RegClean", but have ceased to distribute this
product. Can anyone tell me why the change? Is it unreliable/dangerous, or
some other reason? I have found an alternative source for it, but wonder if
I should use it.

Thanks

More about : regclean

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:59:14 PM

Do not use it. Due to the fact that it is not compatible with Windows XP it
has been removed from the Microsoft web sites.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

"Jack Sheet" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I understand that MicroSoft used to distribute as an optional download a
>registry cleaner utility "RegClean", but have ceased to distribute this
>product. Can anyone tell me why the change? Is it unreliable/dangerous,
>or some other reason? I have found an alternative source for it, but
>wonder if I should use it.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:59:14 PM

RegClean is not compatible with Winodws XP.
You do not need a registry cleaner with Windows XP
at all.

Example:

Errors that the RegClean utility finds after you install Microsoft Office
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299958

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jack Sheet" wrote:

| I understand that MicroSoft used to distribute as an optional download a
| registry cleaner utility "RegClean", but have ceased to distribute this
| product. Can anyone tell me why the change? Is it unreliable/dangerous, or
| some other reason? I have found an alternative source for it, but wonder if
| I should use it.
|
| Thanks
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:59:14 PM

Jack Sheet wrote:
> I understand that MicroSoft used to distribute as an optional download a
> registry cleaner utility "RegClean", but have ceased to distribute this
> product. Can anyone tell me why the change? Is it unreliable/dangerous, or
> some other reason? I have found an alternative source for it, but wonder if
> I should use it.
>
> Thanks

RegClean was designed for Win9x operating systems, and didn't work real
well on them. It's been discontinued and unsupported for years, now. I
certainly wouldn't advise trying to use it on a modern OS.

What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using a registry cleaner? If you
do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would be far better
to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the specific key(s)
and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why use a shotgun when a
scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the manually changing of one or
two registry entries is far less likely to have the dire consequences of
allowing an automated product to make multiple changes simultaneously.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user.

The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
or stability.

I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:59:14 PM

Jack

One thing that you should know about RegClean 4.1a.. run in Win 9x, it
didn't do a whole hell of a lot, a lot less than you would think, and is
even less effective in XP.. there is no performance advantage to running it
now..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Jack Sheet" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I understand that MicroSoft used to distribute as an optional download a
>registry cleaner utility "RegClean", but have ceased to distribute this
>product. Can anyone tell me why the change? Is it unreliable/dangerous,
>or some other reason? I have found an alternative source for it, but
>wonder if I should use it.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:23:03 PM

Thanks to all who responded - much as I suspected.
I guess the time has come for me to learn to understand the windows
registry. Any freebie resources on the net that will tell me about this? Or
failing that, a recommendation of what I might have to shell out for?

Windows registry is a black art for me. I remember the good ol' days of
Windows 3.1, when I could understand the Autoexec.Bat file and the
Config.sys file, and the high point was installing Quem386 and the 4DOS
command interpreter to substitute for MSdos. Then came Windows 95 and the
only improvement that I *noticed* (as an end user) was the recycle bin. No
doubt it made it easier for the programmers, but for me it was a major
headache, because I was used to PKZipping up all my programmes to free up
disk space and only unzipping them as required (of course that was in the
days when disk space was a rare resource). Trouble with that was that this
nasty old windows registry could no longer find the programs that I zipped
up, so keeping tabs on that (and in those days the registry went wild like a
horseraddish root) was a nightmare because I had to remember not to do
anything with registry entries that referred to zipped programmes (I had a
phobia about doublespacing the hard drive). Back then I could remove a
program by deleting it. Now I have to run an uninstal program and still
remain unsure whether everything has gone.

I find it strange that I should have to go to the effort of learning about
the guts of the windows registry. When my car goes wrong I get the garage
to fix it. When my shower goes wrong I get the plumber in. I don't go to
the trouble of learning motor mechanics, nor plumbing (although that seems
to be where the big money is, maybe I should). I choose to spend my time in
other pursuits that interest me. Sure I PAY for the motor mechanic and
plumber, and perhaps therein lies the rub. Perhaps I should find a local
computer whiz and pay him a retainer. But somehow it does not seem quite the
same, and not sure why not. Letting them at your puter seems a bit
personal, perhaps, and the irritation that there should be a need for it
still grates.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:23:04 PM

start here http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/658
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> Thanks to all who responded - much as I suspected.
> I guess the time has come for me to learn to understand the windows
> registry. Any freebie resources on the net that will tell me about this?
> Or failing that, a recommendation of what I might have to shell out for?
>
> Windows registry is a black art for me. I remember the good ol' days of
> Windows 3.1, when I could understand the Autoexec.Bat file and the
> Config.sys file, and the high point was installing Quem386 and the 4DOS
> command interpreter to substitute for MSdos. Then came Windows 95 and the
> only improvement that I *noticed* (as an end user) was the recycle bin. No
> doubt it made it easier for the programmers, but for me it was a major
> headache, because I was used to PKZipping up all my programmes to free up
> disk space and only unzipping them as required (of course that was in the
> days when disk space was a rare resource). Trouble with that was that
> this nasty old windows registry could no longer find the programs that I
> zipped up, so keeping tabs on that (and in those days the registry went
> wild like a horseraddish root) was a nightmare because I had to remember
> not to do anything with registry entries that referred to zipped
> programmes (I had a phobia about doublespacing the hard drive). Back then
> I could remove a program by deleting it. Now I have to run an uninstal
> program and still remain unsure whether everything has gone.
>
> I find it strange that I should have to go to the effort of learning about
> the guts of the windows registry. When my car goes wrong I get the garage
> to fix it. When my shower goes wrong I get the plumber in. I don't go to
> the trouble of learning motor mechanics, nor plumbing (although that seems
> to be where the big money is, maybe I should). I choose to spend my time
> in other pursuits that interest me. Sure I PAY for the motor mechanic and
> plumber, and perhaps therein lies the rub. Perhaps I should find a local
> computer whiz and pay him a retainer. But somehow it does not seem quite
> the same, and not sure why not. Letting them at your puter seems a bit
> personal, perhaps, and the irritation that there should be a need for it
> still grates.

August 27, 2005 11:23:04 PM

Possible reading material.

Windows XP Booklist

Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out 2nd ed ISBN 0-7356-2044-X
www.microsoft.com/mspress
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Resource Kit 3rd ed ISBN 0-7356-2167-5
www.microsoft.com/mspress
Microsoft Windows Command-Line ISBN 0-7356-2038-5
www.microsoft.com/mspress
Windows XP Pro 2nd ed The Missing Manual ISBN 0-596-00898-8
www.missingmanuals.com
Windows XP in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition ISBN 0-596-00900-3 www.oreilly.com
Windows XP Annoyances for Geeks, 2nd ed ISBN 0-596-00876-7 www.oreilly.com
Windows XP Hacks, 2nd ed ISBN 0-596-0000918-6 www.oreilly.com
Windows XP Solutions ISBN 0-7645-6773-X www.wiley.com/compbooks/pcmag
Windows XP Speed Solutions ISBN 0-7645-7814-6
www.wiley.com/compbooks/pcmag
Guide to Home Networking ISBN 0-7645-4473-X www.wiley.com/compbooks/pcmag
Hacking Windows XP ISBN 0-7645-6929-5 www.TweakXP.com

Downloadable Guides

XP Tweak Guide (TweakGuides_XPTC.zip) from www.TweakGuides.com
Windows Registry Guide (registryguide2003.exe) from www.winguides.com
Error Message for Windows (MSWinErr.zip) from www.gregorybraun.com

The BIOS

The BIOS Companion ISBN 0-9681928-0-7 www.electrocution.com
Breaking Through The BIOS Barrier ISBN 0-13-145536-2 www.rojakpot.com

PC Hardware in a Nutshell ISBN 0-596-00513-X www.oreilly.com

"Jack Sheet" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thanks to all who responded - much as I suspected.
> I guess the time has come for me to learn to understand the windows
> registry. Any freebie resources on the net that will tell me about this?
> Or failing that, a recommendation of what I might have to shell out for?
>
> Windows registry is a black art for me. I remember the good ol' days of
> Windows 3.1, when I could understand the Autoexec.Bat file and the
> Config.sys file, and the high point was installing Quem386 and the 4DOS
> command interpreter to substitute for MSdos. Then came Windows 95 and the
> only improvement that I *noticed* (as an end user) was the recycle bin. No
> doubt it made it easier for the programmers, but for me it was a major
> headache, because I was used to PKZipping up all my programmes to free up
> disk space and only unzipping them as required (of course that was in the
> days when disk space was a rare resource). Trouble with that was that
> this nasty old windows registry could no longer find the programs that I
> zipped up, so keeping tabs on that (and in those days the registry went
> wild like a horseraddish root) was a nightmare because I had to remember
> not to do anything with registry entries that referred to zipped
> programmes (I had a phobia about doublespacing the hard drive). Back then
> I could remove a program by deleting it. Now I have to run an uninstal
> program and still remain unsure whether everything has gone.
>
> I find it strange that I should have to go to the effort of learning about
> the guts of the windows registry. When my car goes wrong I get the garage
> to fix it. When my shower goes wrong I get the plumber in. I don't go to
> the trouble of learning motor mechanics, nor plumbing (although that seems
> to be where the big money is, maybe I should). I choose to spend my time
> in other pursuits that interest me. Sure I PAY for the motor mechanic and
> plumber, and perhaps therein lies the rub. Perhaps I should find a local
> computer whiz and pay him a retainer. But somehow it does not seem quite
> the same, and not sure why not. Letting them at your puter seems a bit
> personal, perhaps, and the irritation that there should be a need for it
> still grates.

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:00:05 AM

Thanks, and thanks Harry also.
That will keep me quiet for a bit

> [...]
>> uninstal program and still remain unsure whether everything has gone.
>>
>> I find it strange that I should have to go to the effort of learning
>> about the guts of the windows registry. When my car goes wrong I get the
>> garage to fix it. When my shower goes wrong I get the plumber in. I
>> don't go to the trouble of learning motor mechanics, nor plumbing
>> (although that seems to be where the big money is, maybe I should). I
>> choose to spend my time in other pursuits that interest me. Sure I PAY
>> for the motor mechanic and plumber, and perhaps therein lies the rub.
>> Perhaps I should find a local computer whiz and pay him a retainer. But
>> somehow it does not seem quite the same, and not sure why not. Letting
>> them at your puter seems a bit personal, perhaps, and the irritation that
>> there should be a need for it still grates.

August 29, 2005 9:10:21 AM

What about products such as PCrescue?

> The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of the
> computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
> device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
> registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning loose
> a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully confident that
> he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of each and every
> change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people using automated
> registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most experienced
> computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all. Experience has
> shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands of the
> inexperienced user.
>
> The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge and
> Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain your
> registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and experience to
> safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner, no matter how
> safe they claim to be.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 4:29:43 PM

Hi Jack - Just an FYI - if you going to be screwing around with your
Registry, then at least get Erunt/Erdnt, and run it before you do any Reg
clean or Registry modification. You'll then have a true restore available
to you. Read below to see why you might not just using a Reg cleaner's (or
Regedit's Import, for that matter) restore:

Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/index.h... I've set it up to
take a scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis,
and a Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.t..., and for some
useful information about this subject.

This program is one of the best things around - saved my butt on many
occasions, and will also run very nicely from a DOS prompt (in case you've
done something that won't let you boot any more and need to revert to a
previous Registry) IF you're FAT32 OR have a DOS startup disk with NTFS
write drivers in an NTFS system. (There is also a way using the Recovery
Console to get back to being "bootable" even without separate DOS write NTFS
drivers, after which you can do a "normal" Erdnt restore.) (BTW, it also
includes a Registry defragger program). Free, and very, very highly
recommended.

FYI, quoting from the above document:

"Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to make a
complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry
(for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can the
exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old
one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current
registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new registry keys.

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

"Jack Sheet" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o ziiYp0qFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
> [...]
>>> have to run an uninstal program and still remain unsure whether
>>> everything has gone.
>>>
>>> I find it strange that I should have to go to the effort of learning
>>> about the guts of the windows registry. When my car goes wrong I
>>> get the garage to fix it. When my shower goes wrong I get the
>>> plumber in. I don't go to the trouble of learning motor mechanics,
>>> nor plumbing (although that seems to be where the big money is,
>>> maybe I should). I choose to spend my time in other pursuits that
>>> interest me. Sure I PAY for the motor mechanic and plumber, and
>>> perhaps therein lies the rub. Perhaps I should find a local
>>> computer whiz and pay him a retainer. But somehow it does not seem
>>> quite the same, and not sure why not. Letting them at your puter
>>> seems a bit personal, perhaps, and the irritation that there should
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 3:36:25 AM

"Bob Davis" <rjdjr@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> What about products such as PCrescue?

I thought that jv16 looked like an interesting tool. Dunno how it ranks
with the competition.
!