RegClean

I understand that MicroSoft used to distribute as an optional download a
registry cleaner utility "RegClean", but have ceased to distribute this
product. Can anyone tell me why the change? Is it unreliable/dangerous, or
some other reason? I have found an alternative source for it, but wonder if
I should use it.

Thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about regclean

    Do not use it. Due to the fact that it is not compatible with Windows XP it
    has been removed from the Microsoft web sites.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    "Jack Sheet" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I understand that MicroSoft used to distribute as an optional download a
    >registry cleaner utility "RegClean", but have ceased to distribute this
    >product. Can anyone tell me why the change? Is it unreliable/dangerous,
    >or some other reason? I have found an alternative source for it, but
    >wonder if I should use it.
    >
    > Thanks

    RegClean is not compatible with Winodws XP.
    You do not need a registry cleaner with Windows XP
    at all.

    Example:

    Errors that the RegClean utility finds after you install Microsoft Office
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299958

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Jack Sheet wrote:
    > I understand that MicroSoft used to distribute as an optional download a
    > registry cleaner utility "RegClean", but have ceased to distribute this
    > product. Can anyone tell me why the change? Is it unreliable/dangerous, or
    > some other reason? I have found an alternative source for it, but wonder if
    > I should use it.
    >
    > Thanks

    RegClean was designed for Win9x operating systems, and didn't work real
    well on them. It's been discontinued and unsupported for years, now. I
    certainly wouldn't advise trying to use it on a modern OS.

    What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
    all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using a registry cleaner? If you
    do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would be far better
    to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the specific key(s)
    and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why use a shotgun when a
    scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the manually changing of one or
    two registry entries is far less likely to have the dire consequences of
    allowing an automated product to make multiple changes simultaneously.

    The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
    loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
    confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
    each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
    using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
    experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
    Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
    of the inexperienced user.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    or stability.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Jack

    One thing that you should know about RegClean 4.1a.. run in Win 9x, it
    didn't do a whole hell of a lot, a lot less than you would think, and is
    even less effective in XP.. there is no performance advantage to running it
    now..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Jack Sheet" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I understand that MicroSoft used to distribute as an optional download a
    >registry cleaner utility "RegClean", but have ceased to distribute this
    >product. Can anyone tell me why the change? Is it unreliable/dangerous,
    >or some other reason? I have found an alternative source for it, but
    >wonder if I should use it.
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks to all who responded - much as I suspected.
    I guess the time has come for me to learn to understand the windows
    registry. Any freebie resources on the net that will tell me about this? Or
    failing that, a recommendation of what I might have to shell out for?

    Windows registry is a black art for me. I remember the good ol' days of
    Windows 3.1, when I could understand the Autoexec.Bat file and the
    Config.sys file, and the high point was installing Quem386 and the 4DOS
    command interpreter to substitute for MSdos. Then came Windows 95 and the
    only improvement that I *noticed* (as an end user) was the recycle bin. No
    doubt it made it easier for the programmers, but for me it was a major
    headache, because I was used to PKZipping up all my programmes to free up
    disk space and only unzipping them as required (of course that was in the
    days when disk space was a rare resource). Trouble with that was that this
    nasty old windows registry could no longer find the programs that I zipped
    up, so keeping tabs on that (and in those days the registry went wild like a
    horseraddish root) was a nightmare because I had to remember not to do
    anything with registry entries that referred to zipped programmes (I had a
    phobia about doublespacing the hard drive). Back then I could remove a
    program by deleting it. Now I have to run an uninstal program and still
    remain unsure whether everything has gone.

    I find it strange that I should have to go to the effort of learning about
    the guts of the windows registry. When my car goes wrong I get the garage
    to fix it. When my shower goes wrong I get the plumber in. I don't go to
    the trouble of learning motor mechanics, nor plumbing (although that seems
    to be where the big money is, maybe I should). I choose to spend my time in
    other pursuits that interest me. Sure I PAY for the motor mechanic and
    plumber, and perhaps therein lies the rub. Perhaps I should find a local
    computer whiz and pay him a retainer. But somehow it does not seem quite the
    same, and not sure why not. Letting them at your puter seems a bit
    personal, perhaps, and the irritation that there should be a need for it
    still grates.

    start here http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/658
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    > Thanks to all who responded - much as I suspected.
    > I guess the time has come for me to learn to understand the windows
    > registry. Any freebie resources on the net that will tell me about this?
    > Or failing that, a recommendation of what I might have to shell out for?
    >
    > Windows registry is a black art for me. I remember the good ol' days of
    > Windows 3.1, when I could understand the Autoexec.Bat file and the
    > Config.sys file, and the high point was installing Quem386 and the 4DOS
    > command interpreter to substitute for MSdos. Then came Windows 95 and the
    > only improvement that I *noticed* (as an end user) was the recycle bin. No
    > doubt it made it easier for the programmers, but for me it was a major
    > headache, because I was used to PKZipping up all my programmes to free up
    > disk space and only unzipping them as required (of course that was in the
    > days when disk space was a rare resource). Trouble with that was that
    > this nasty old windows registry could no longer find the programs that I
    > zipped up, so keeping tabs on that (and in those days the registry went
    > wild like a horseraddish root) was a nightmare because I had to remember
    > not to do anything with registry entries that referred to zipped
    > programmes (I had a phobia about doublespacing the hard drive). Back then
    > I could remove a program by deleting it. Now I have to run an uninstal
    > program and still remain unsure whether everything has gone.
    >
    > I find it strange that I should have to go to the effort of learning about
    > the guts of the windows registry. When my car goes wrong I get the garage
    > to fix it. When my shower goes wrong I get the plumber in. I don't go to
    > the trouble of learning motor mechanics, nor plumbing (although that seems
    > to be where the big money is, maybe I should). I choose to spend my time
    > in other pursuits that interest me. Sure I PAY for the motor mechanic and
    > plumber, and perhaps therein lies the rub. Perhaps I should find a local
    > computer whiz and pay him a retainer. But somehow it does not seem quite
    > the same, and not sure why not. Letting them at your puter seems a bit
    > personal, perhaps, and the irritation that there should be a need for it
    > still grates.

    Possible reading material.

    Windows XP Booklist

    Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out 2nd ed ISBN 0-7356-2044-X
    www.microsoft.com/mspress
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Resource Kit 3rd ed ISBN 0-7356-2167-5
    www.microsoft.com/mspress
    Microsoft Windows Command-Line ISBN 0-7356-2038-5
    www.microsoft.com/mspress
    Windows XP Pro 2nd ed The Missing Manual ISBN 0-596-00898-8
    www.missingmanuals.com
    Windows XP in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition ISBN 0-596-00900-3 www.oreilly.com
    Windows XP Annoyances for Geeks, 2nd ed ISBN 0-596-00876-7 www.oreilly.com
    Windows XP Hacks, 2nd ed ISBN 0-596-0000918-6 www.oreilly.com
    Windows XP Solutions ISBN 0-7645-6773-X www.wiley.com/compbooks/pcmag
    Windows XP Speed Solutions ISBN 0-7645-7814-6
    www.wiley.com/compbooks/pcmag
    Guide to Home Networking ISBN 0-7645-4473-X www.wiley.com/compbooks/pcmag
    Hacking Windows XP ISBN 0-7645-6929-5 www.TweakXP.com

    Downloadable Guides

    XP Tweak Guide (TweakGuides_XPTC.zip) from www.TweakGuides.com
    Windows Registry Guide (registryguide2003.exe) from www.winguides.com
    Error Message for Windows (MSWinErr.zip) from www.gregorybraun.com

    The BIOS

    The BIOS Companion ISBN 0-9681928-0-7 www.electrocution.com
    Breaking Through The BIOS Barrier ISBN 0-13-145536-2 www.rojakpot.com

    PC Hardware in a Nutshell ISBN 0-596-00513-X www.oreilly.com

    "Jack Sheet" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Thanks to all who responded - much as I suspected.
    > I guess the time has come for me to learn to understand the windows
    > registry. Any freebie resources on the net that will tell me about this?
    > Or failing that, a recommendation of what I might have to shell out for?
    >
    > Windows registry is a black art for me. I remember the good ol' days of
    > Windows 3.1, when I could understand the Autoexec.Bat file and the
    > Config.sys file, and the high point was installing Quem386 and the 4DOS
    > command interpreter to substitute for MSdos. Then came Windows 95 and the
    > only improvement that I *noticed* (as an end user) was the recycle bin. No
    > doubt it made it easier for the programmers, but for me it was a major
    > headache, because I was used to PKZipping up all my programmes to free up
    > disk space and only unzipping them as required (of course that was in the
    > days when disk space was a rare resource). Trouble with that was that
    > this nasty old windows registry could no longer find the programs that I
    > zipped up, so keeping tabs on that (and in those days the registry went
    > wild like a horseraddish root) was a nightmare because I had to remember
    > not to do anything with registry entries that referred to zipped
    > programmes (I had a phobia about doublespacing the hard drive). Back then
    > I could remove a program by deleting it. Now I have to run an uninstal
    > program and still remain unsure whether everything has gone.
    >
    > I find it strange that I should have to go to the effort of learning about
    > the guts of the windows registry. When my car goes wrong I get the garage
    > to fix it. When my shower goes wrong I get the plumber in. I don't go to
    > the trouble of learning motor mechanics, nor plumbing (although that seems
    > to be where the big money is, maybe I should). I choose to spend my time
    > in other pursuits that interest me. Sure I PAY for the motor mechanic and
    > plumber, and perhaps therein lies the rub. Perhaps I should find a local
    > computer whiz and pay him a retainer. But somehow it does not seem quite
    > the same, and not sure why not. Letting them at your puter seems a bit
    > personal, perhaps, and the irritation that there should be a need for it
    > still grates.

    Thanks, and thanks Harry also.
    That will keep me quiet for a bit

> [...]
    >> uninstal program and still remain unsure whether everything has gone.
    >>
    >> I find it strange that I should have to go to the effort of learning
    >> about the guts of the windows registry. When my car goes wrong I get the
    >> garage to fix it. When my shower goes wrong I get the plumber in. I
    >> don't go to the trouble of learning motor mechanics, nor plumbing
    >> (although that seems to be where the big money is, maybe I should). I
    >> choose to spend my time in other pursuits that interest me. Sure I PAY
    >> for the motor mechanic and plumber, and perhaps therein lies the rub.
    >> Perhaps I should find a local computer whiz and pay him a retainer. But
    >> somehow it does not seem quite the same, and not sure why not. Letting
    >> them at your puter seems a bit personal, perhaps, and the irritation that
    >> there should be a need for it still grates.

    What about products such as PCrescue?

    > The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of the
    > computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    > device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    > registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning loose
    > a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully confident that
    > he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of each and every
    > change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people using automated
    > registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most experienced
    > computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all. Experience has
    > shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands of the
    > inexperienced user.
    >
    > The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge and
    > Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain your
    > registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and experience to
    > safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner, no matter how
    > safe they claim to be.

    Hi Jack - Just an FYI - if you going to be screwing around with your
    Registry, then at least get Erunt/Erdnt, and run it before you do any Reg
    clean or Registry modification. You'll then have a true restore available
    to you. Read below to see why you might not just using a Reg cleaner's (or
    Regedit's Import, for that matter) restore:

    Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/index.htm I've set it up to
    take a scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis,
    and a Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt, and for some
    useful information about this subject.

    This program is one of the best things around - saved my butt on many
    occasions, and will also run very nicely from a DOS prompt (in case you've
    done something that won't let you boot any more and need to revert to a
    previous Registry) IF you're FAT32 OR have a DOS startup disk with NTFS
    write drivers in an NTFS system. (There is also a way using the Recovery
    Console to get back to being "bootable" even without separate DOS write NTFS
    drivers, after which you can do a "normal" Erdnt restore.) (BTW, it also
    includes a Registry defragger program). Free, and very, very highly
    recommended.

    FYI, quoting from the above document:

    "Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to make a
    complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry
    (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can the
    exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old
    one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current
    registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new registry keys.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    "Bob Davis" <rjdjr@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > What about products such as PCrescue?

    I thought that jv16 looked like an interesting tool. Dunno how it ranks
    with the competition.

Download Registry Cleaner Microsoft Windows XP