Windows 7 Install stops during "completing installation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenJ

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
The three dots beyond completing installation continue to move, but the progress bar hasn't moved all night. It's been twelve hours. Should I manually shut down and reattempt install?

Solution
Yes, you should. The way you can tell if you should just try again is if you don't hear any hard drive activity and the progress bar isn't moving.
is it a clean install or an upgrade?

have heard tales of an upgrade taking a huge length of time depending on how much data you have on your hard drive

i have never measured it accurately but a clean install on my pc takes under 15 minutes--(i7 920 @ 4.2ghz --80gb x25-m ssd and 12gb ram) so if its a clean install even on a slower pc it should still complete in under 45 minutes i would say

RenJ

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
I reattempted installing windows, and after two shaky unsuccessful tries, I've gotten it to install (said install took under an hour, huzzah!), but now the system freezes after start up.

It runs fine in all three safe modes, nothing seems wrong other than the freezing. I've gotten a blue screen twice (Kernal_data_inpage error, i believe. It goes by too fast to see anything but "kernal" up top)

Could this be due to a bad install of Windows or is something else going on here?

RenJ

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit on a Gateway M285-E. 1024RAM ~1.8GHz processor.

Cannot currently check system log as a third stop error has struck, and on restart the laptop decided to run a disk check, currently stuck at 53 percent, (282280 of 300954 index entries processed)...

EDIT; "Correcting error in index $I30 for file 234964. Insufficient disk space to correct errors. in index $I30." now it's moved on, "recovering orphaned file..." will update when disk check completes...

RenJ

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
34752128 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
Adding 13 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters file.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system that could not be corrected.

78046207 KB total disk space.
20307064 KB in 51927 files.
36880 KB in 11727 indexes.
31496 KB in bad sectors.
380687 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
57290080 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
19511551 total allocation units on disk
14322520 allocation unit available on disk.

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

After this the laptop restarted, and everything seemed fine until right before the welcome screen, i was left with a black screen and this in a dialogue box:
The file or directory C:\Windows\winsxs is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.
I press "Ok" and am left with the black screen. I'm assuming a yet another reinstall is necessary?

RenJ

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Re-Attempting clean install with advisory of an online how-to, seems i didn't delete partitions last time around and have done so this time. Here's to it helping this time around.

RenJ

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
I guess i should have got back to this thread about it. I've been using my laptop all night, everything is in working order and i'm enjoying myself (knock on wood!) it seems it was lack of deleted partitions that screwed it up. Thanks to the feed back i received!

Status
Not open for further replies.