Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 4870 won't post - power supply ample

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2008 12:33:09 AM

I have a Visiontek 4870 and a Thermaltake 700W Toughpower PSU (listed on ATi's site as compatible with the 4870). This is a brand new computer build. After plugging in everything - two 6-pin cables into the card itself - I turned it on. The fan spins at max speed for a moment, then stops, then spins, then stops, etc. The first, third, and fourth LEDs flash constantly. I get no display on my monitor.

I have tried:

Using the Y-cables that came with the card.
Using the 8-pin to 6-pin converter along with a native 6-pin cable as recommended by the power supply documentation.
Using the 8-pin to 6-pin converter along with one supplied Y-cable.
Using one Y-cable along with a native 6-pin cable.
Swapping each cable to the other slot on the card for each situation above.
Plugging in a 4-pin cable to my motherboard (the documentation says it provides power to the GPU) and unplugging it.

Everything else "works": The HDD and all fans, including CPU fan, spin up and stay on. The CD-ROM drive works fine.

I have NOT tried messing with the RAM yet since the card's diagnostic LEDs seem to indicate a problem with the card itself. Any ideas? It's not completely dead, apparently, so I reaaaaaly don't want to RMA this thing.
August 15, 2008 2:31:47 AM

Have you reset the card itself? Reconnected all your lines to/from lcd? Tried a different gpu? Different psu? Made sure your mobo bios is compatable? These come to mind first to me. It could be a faulty anything at this point, since its never posted, and you havnt accessed the bios. Also, check your power connection to your mobo
August 15, 2008 3:40:19 AM

From what I gathered from another forum

"There are four LED's on the 4870/4850. I'm not sure what the order is per card but here are descriptions of each:

D1601 - Shows overheating

D1602 - Power connector #1 removed

D1603 - Power connector #2 removed

D1604 - GPU fail "

Related resources
August 15, 2008 6:20:01 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Have you reset the card itself? Reconnected all your lines to/from lcd? Tried a different gpu? Different psu? Made sure your mobo bios is compatable? These come to mind first to me. It could be a faulty anything at this point, since its never posted, and you havnt accessed the bios. Also, check your power connection to your mobo

Unfortunately, I don't have access to any other spare parts such as a different PSU or GPU. It's late now, but tomorrow I plan on dismantling and rebuilding the whole damn thing (PSU wise anyway) just to see if I missed anything. Otherwise, everything is compatible.
August 18, 2008 11:52:31 AM

Ok i had the same problem. This is how i solved it
1. make sure your video card is sitting in the slot properly
2. make sure the power connectors are hooked up properly
3. if the problem persists then try clearing your bios through jumper and battery removal
4. if it still doesn't work then your pc might be shorting some where, there is an easy fix to that, place a jumper in the motherboard cmos section at 1-2 position, that will get the system going.
5. try indiviual parts, starting with the basic ones and the adding more once at a time.
hope this helps
!