HP dx2400 with E7200 CPU Stuck at 1.6GHz

graphicequaliser

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I have just bought a new Hewlett Packard dx2400 with the E7200 CPU, 500GB HDD, etc... It constantly shows that it is running at 1.6GHz, despite the CPU and BIOS identifying that its stock speed is 2.53GHz. The HP BIOS is really bad in that you cannot change anything at all in terms of speeds, clocks and multipliers. The chipset is Intel® G33 Express and this has 2 FSB settings - 800MHz and 1333MHz. I have read that you easily (with no danger) step the FSB up to 1333MHz and the E7200 will run at over 3GHz quite happily and solidly at this FSB frequency. How do I go about getting it to stock speed and beyond with this HP pc? TIA,

graphicequaliser

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

And to add to this, google "intel speedstep"

graphicequaliser

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Perhaps I've overlooked something here, which must be blindingly obvious to you lot. Care to let me in on the secret? Shouldn't my E7200 run at 2.53GHz when a demanding application is running?

graphicequaliser

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I know it should. But the HP BIOS makes this pc impossible to readjust! It's stubbornly stuck at 6X FSB, and there's nothing in the BIOS for changing the FSB multiplier! Yowch!

graphicequaliser

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I have no idea what the BIOS brand is, but it is woefully inadequate for tweakers. I am using XP's System Properties, General Tab to show me the clock speed snapshot.

Kari

Splendid
ok i think xp system properties doesn't refrehs itself download CPU-Z and use it for system monitoring instead

edit and HPs biosses are custon made by HP to prevent any tampering of the settings, so noobs don't brake their systems and HP gets to sell more expensive ones for those who really want power

graphicequaliser

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
OK. Thanks for your help. I really wish one could spec one's own office pcs, instead of letting the boss get whatever the best deal is at the time!

The other thing I heard about the Intel® G33 Express chipset (which is what this HP uses) is that you can safely take the FSB to 333MHz instead of the stock 266MHz with the E7200 CPU. However, I can find no way of doing this with the HP. Am I stuck in the crawler lane?

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005

Short answer is yes, you can't edit OEM BIOS settings such as FSB.

Kari

Splendid
I repeat myself: HPs biosses are custon made by HP to prevent any tampering of the settings, so noobs don't brake their systems and HP gets to sell more expensive ones for those who really want power...

I have Asus p5k-vm mobo, it uses the same G33 chipset, it's been running at 450 FSB just nicely for past year. But this is a custom build with asus's own bios

I would use CPU-Z to check the CPU speed as has been suggested above. When you put a good load on the CPU (like Prime95 or something), CPU-Z should show your CPU going up to full speed while the load is applied.

Your only overclocking option with a locked BIOS would be a CPU pin mod. You can use google to find instructions for your particular CPU.

graphicequaliser

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Thanks for your advice. I'll let you know how I got on when I return to the pc on Monday. I'll try CPU-Z and I'll look at motherboard jumper settings too.

You should probably spend some quality time on google before you decide to do anything. Try searching for 1333 FSB BSEL mod E7200 or something. Remember - DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! I don't even know if this would work with your motherboard. I believe your motherboard would also have to support 1333MHz CPU's for this to work.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
SPEEDSTEP ! GIYF Google is your Friend. As mentioned above, if loading the CPU does ot make it run at the correct speed, get HP to fix it.

graphicequaliser

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
The HP dx2400 had a power scheme set, which aggressively cut the FSB multiplier down to lower values than stock. Setting a less stringent power scheme solved the problem and I have now got a very fast PC! This E7200 CPU is astounding! It can outperform a Q6600 under certain conditions! Yummy!

TRENDING THREADS