Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard/RAM/CPU problem (Desperate HELP)

Last response: in Motherboards
October 24, 2008 6:28:23 PM

Hi all. i registered here because i have problems with my new pc for 2 months already. i don't know what to do anymore...

i have a new:
Gigabyte GA-EG31M-S2 (Rev.01)
Intel E5200 , 2.5GHz
Kingston Dual Kit 800, 2x1gb

i'll try to be as short as i can:

i installed vista and i was getting 2-3 Blue screens per day.
i went back with reformatting to XP. i was getting unexpected restarts once every 2-3 days.
so i figured out there is certainly a problem with the hardware and not with the software. someone told me it's definately from the ram/mb and i think it is.

i tested the RAM with memtest86 v3.4 and it finds errors by test #6. but this happens aleatory. i can scan the memory 3 times in a row...2 times it gets errors the 3rd one is perfect. this is weird.

i went to the shop first time with the guarantee and they told me everything is fine. i went the 2nd time and they updated my bios and scanned the sticks and told me it's good. i came back home, i scan it..it has errors. i changed a few settings in the bios but the problem errors with memtest still occur aleatory.

i reformated and came back to vista yesterday, because i know for sure that vista is the best test. i was so happy until tonight since i had a blue screen again.

so i really don't know what to do. if i'll give'em the hardware tot est and they catch again a period when it doesn't detect the problem they'll say i'm crazy.

is there any incompatibility with my components?
should i change something in bios? (i raised the voltages a bit) i'm so confused....
please any advice is welcome
thank you
a c 229 V Motherboard
October 24, 2008 6:57:05 PM

Please provide BIOS version and model of your PSU. Did you verify that all voltages are OK?

If you're running the modules at 800Mhz, then the voltage should be at 1.95v, as specified by the manufacturer: "Each module pair has been tested to run at DDR2 800MHz at low latency timing of 5-5-5-15 at 1.95V. The SPD is programmed to JEDEC standard latency 667Mhz timing of 5-5-5-15 at 1.8V."
October 24, 2008 7:06:07 PM

BIOS Version: F2
PSU: Corsair 450VX
HDD: Seagate 320GB

i don't know the exact voltages of the RAM. the options in the BIOS are: normal, +0.1, +0.2, +0.3, +0.4. i guess the normal is 1.8V ...i'm using it right now by +0.2.

i will provide you with any other answers if needed. i'm just confused. i'm waiting for another bsod.. anyway, they are not that often as before.
i have 1 minidump file. i can upload that if it's worth.
thanks
Related resources
October 24, 2008 7:55:45 PM

i also ran the windows memory diagnostic tool (i just found out about it)
it has detected problems, but there is no report or anything. it just says the pc has hardware problems...
a c 229 V Motherboard
October 24, 2008 9:52:50 PM

I was asking about the PSU voltages, but I assume that the shop verified them. When you went to the shop, did they run memtest? Have you tried to test each stick one at a time (power off the PSU before adding or removing them)? A few years ago I had a similar memory issue and I finally traced it to a stick that had a bad contact. After removing it and inserting it again a couple times, memtest no longer failed.
October 24, 2008 10:36:46 PM

i don't know the exact voltages. i'll check them, but it's a brand new 80$ PSU.
i don't know if to trust memtest anymore...

i checked each stick both with memtest and windows diagnostic tool
they are ok...i checked them both....they are ok. it's completely aleatory this phenomenon. if i'll check them tomorrow i bet i will get errors again.

i borrowed (a few weeks ago) 2 other ram sticks from a friend and i still got a BSOD...so i guess is something from the motherboard. i don't know what

if it's the slot/ram controller...then why is the test one time without errors, another time with errors?
a c 240 V Motherboard
October 24, 2008 11:37:15 PM

Verify that your ram is supported on your motherboard. Go to the kingston web site, and access their ram configurator. Enter your mobo, and get a list of supported ram sticks. If your exact ram is on the list---good.

You need to run memtest for a number of passes, and even for a few hours if your ram is suspect.

If you get a failure, try to isolate the problem by running one stick at a time, and in different slots.

If you can, run prime95 which loads the cpu and ram in a different way. Be certain to select the stop on error option.
October 25, 2008 7:42:02 AM

i couldn't find the ram configurator, but i doubt that's a problem. it's a regular KVR800D2N5K2/2G kit. the motherboard supports it...everything's fine

i woke up this morning (left the windows diagnostic tool over the night running), after 22 passes there were no errors, although yesterday it found hardware problems :|

after a few minutes since i got into vista i got a BSOD

i tested everything with prime95 and none of the tests had errors. it's so weird. is it possible to be the CPU?
a c 229 V Motherboard
October 25, 2008 12:46:14 PM

I'd suspect the motherboard more than the CPU. What error code and associated data is displayed in Event Viewer after the BSOD?
October 25, 2008 9:25:47 PM

hmm..where exactly should i look? i opened event viewer, but there are a lot of categories

i found something these events that might help?

Configuring the Page file for crash dump failed. Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x8b2ae4bf, 0xaa035bcc, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

a c 229 V Motherboard
October 26, 2008 12:30:08 AM

The bugcheck indicates that you have a hardware issue. Can you try running the system with only one stick and see if it still crashes? If so, then try with the other stick. It would be much easier if you had access to a competent shop that could identify what component is defective. For testing purposes, do you have access to another PSU?

If "Spread Spectrum" is enabled, try disabling it to see if it helps.

On a stable system, memtest never finds errors, no matter how long you let it run.
October 26, 2008 5:38:25 AM

i ran the whole system with 2 other sticks of ram and it still crashed. so it's not my RAM.
i guess if i will run it with one stick at once i will find in the best case which of the memory slots is bad.
i have my old psu. it's an ordinary cheap deluxe one. i will run the system with that for a few days. thanks very much. really appreciated. i'll keep you updated
October 26, 2008 9:41:24 AM

ok. so i switched the psu with my old one. i got another blue screen. so i guess the psu is out of question.

it's between MB or CPU ..i guess the MB

i found something like this in the event viewer:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

and this was the report after restart:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: a
BCP1: 00000004
BCP2: 00000002
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 818F09D9
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini102608-01.dmp
C:\Users\Pablo\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-22136-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Pablo\AppData\Local\Temp\WERAC07.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x04...

oh..btw...i left home and let the memtest run...he did 5 passes while i was away and no errors. and the previous screen above was after 10minutes i entered windows. so it's strange...

although i'm sure it's the motherboard, i don't know how to prove them (the shop/service) it's malfunctioning, since they scan the system as me and get no errors...
a c 229 V Motherboard
October 26, 2008 1:24:03 PM

It most likely is the motherboard, but the CPU could also be faulty. Are you doing anything specific when it crashes in Windows? If you leave the system with the shop, it should crash under the same conditions.
October 26, 2008 1:32:33 PM

yeah i know. but they told me they left it over the night running with 3d mark and nothing happened.
there's no specific application when it crashes. it's completely random. sometimes i'm downloading, listening music, excel, word, messenger. usual stuff like this
if it's the CPU...what could be faulty? it's cache memory?
a c 229 V Motherboard
October 26, 2008 2:12:17 PM

It may sound like a weird suggestion, but since it didn't fail at the shop, can you run it elsewhere to see if it crashes (like at work or at a friend's place)? What external devices are connected to that system? Does it crash if no external devices are connected to it (including the Ethernet cable that was probably not connected at the shop)? I also assume that the shop used their own keyboard and mouse instead of yours.
October 26, 2008 4:10:14 PM

it sounds weird indeed. but i suspect it didn't fail just because of luck... i left the pc with several applications and downloads launched for a couple of hours now and it's fine....so i think it's just luck/bad luck

i have an ordinary keyboard and an usb genius mouse. i doubt it might be their cause.
a c 229 V Motherboard
October 26, 2008 8:54:27 PM

Something has to be wrong. If it doesn't fail at the shop and it fails at your place, then you have to look at what's different.
October 28, 2008 8:18:19 AM

i found something new...

do you have any idea if there is an error with the sensor? i guess it's not normal to be 1.9v on one core and 1.14 on the other
a c 229 V Motherboard
October 28, 2008 11:16:31 AM

What are the voltages according to the BIOS? Several voltages are out of spec, but I have no clue if SpeedFan can report them reliably. If the voltage on one core was that high, the CPU would probably be dead by now. Doesn't Gigabyte offer an application that can display voltages and other info in Windows?
!