Questions to Stability of build.

Wrecked

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Hey, I want to copy the configuration, and build the system as listed in this page on tomshardware....

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-295,2123-2.html

It can certainly bring the FPS, but I have a few questions.

1. Is this build stable? More specifically, the I7 920 there has been overclocked to 4.00 GHz, will I be able to run MMO's, First Person Shooters, Titanquest, and Civ 4 titles all without any issue? By that I mean the games running continuously for 16 hours or more, without any crashes. My current system can do this (though it is now 3 years old) without any problems, however it is running an all stock configuration. I like a system to be fast, but not if it's going to be unstable, then it's just worthless. I see that this build is "viable", but would it hold up similar to my old system? Or would it just run the games for an hour or less, then crash out? Also, would this system continue to be operational 3, even 2 years from now without anything burning out?

2. The linked review above is now over 6 months old. Does anyone know of a testbed article with a stable setup that can run a Quad SLI GTX 295 setup better?

3. Can anyone in the forums, or at Toms give me the specific settings used to overclock the testbed system referenced in the link above? If it is found to be stable, I want to match the settings exactly so that nothing burns out. (Other than compensating for any idiosyncrasies in my particular chips)

Anyways that's about it. I'm just curious if this "testbed" isn't ultimately stable, but was used to simply show how high the fps "could" get if you had such a setup. If that's the case, then I don't want to go down this route.

Thanks!

--Wrecked

The problem with trying to copy an existing build is that your particular motherboard may work better - or worse - than the original. The CPU likewise. You could win the CPU lottery and get a chip with a low VID. This would give more OC headroom. Or you may get a chip with a high VID and end up with a poor overclocker.

The usual way to cure stability problems is simply decrease the OC settings. And only you can decide how long you test for stability. I test for 24 hours.

Wrecked

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Ah, I see what you are saying, and I may very well start with that, so thanks for the tip. But suppose I am happy with it being somewhat backed off from the test system, what then can I expect? Will it do what I expect based on my questions from the original post?

--Wrecked