will 2 6 pin pcie power conectors work on a 4870x2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonj320

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
hi, im going to buy a 4870x2 soon and i noticed that it needs 1 6pin and 1 8pin pcie power conector. my psu is a 700w OCZ with 2 6pin pcie conectors. i think 700w will b enough to handle it, but do i need to buy a new one just for the 8 pin conectors??? i dont want to spend money on a new psu if i dont have to. thanks

No.
You will need bouth a 6 pin and an 8 pin PCIe power connector pluged into your 4870x2 for it to work.
Many come with adaptors for systems that do not have a PCIe 8 pin connector.
If the one you decide to purchace does not, you will need something like This.

jperkins79

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
The power connector adaptor outlw6669 stated WILL NOT work with the card I have, the 4870x2 2GB made by Sapphire (which is in fact ATI-AMD's own brand) as the shaped blocks within the socket package do not match the bespoke 4870x2's connector. Am I the only one with this problem?

The card worked fine in a friends computer as he has the correct power adaptor for it but I am unsure of where he got it, maybe it was supplied with the card originally? He is now using the power adaptor for his new XFX 6870 2GB graphics card which did not come with an 8 pin power adaptor but it most certainly requires one so I'm guessing he just didn't bother to remove it from the PC with the 4870x2 I bought from him when he swapped it out for his new card.

Usually power adaptors are supplied with cards if they are non-standard, which will make them nearly impossible to source elsewhere, even from a third party, multi-purpose computer cable supplier.

You will have to contact the manufacturer of the card or find an alternative PSU adaptor which matches the non-standard socket on the 4870x2 2GB graphics card and from the results of my web searches, they will most likely be extremely hard source if not supplied by the original manufacturer of the graphics card in question.

The standard type of 6 pin to 8 pin GPU power adaptors for PSUs with 6 pin native graphics card power cables also WILL NOT work as the GPU power plug on the end of the adaptor cable is the same as that of the 2 x Molex to 8 pin GPU power adaptor outlw6669 mentioned.

Dynamode 6 pin PCI-E to 8 pin PCI-E 2.0 Adapter part number PCC-6P-8P-PCIE is a classic example of what should be a standard conversion cable but this will not fit the 8 pin power socket on the 4870x2 2GB.

I'm also looking for an adaptor that will fit this card and I'm hoping that resurrecting this thread will help. If I ask my friend to take the one that came with my card out of his computer he will be in the same position I am right now and he is useless finding computer parts at the best of times.

Here's hoping!

Rapturoso

The adapter outlaw linked to is for the 8-pin 12v motherboard connector on all modern ATX motherboards. It doesn't fit video cards because it's not for video cards. He shouldn't have linked to that connector, he should have linked to something like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.