What should I upgrade? CPU/Mobo or just CPU? Please Read.

Cymus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
My current system is as follows: Am2 Athlon 4200 X2 @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 GB XMS 2 Corsair Ram @800 Mhz, Nvidia Geforce XFX 9800 GTX, M2n4 SLI Motherboard, Onboard Realtek Audio, if I'm missing anything let me know.

What should I upgrade? I don't feel like I'm getting the best performance, I feel that my CPU is bottlenecking my graphics card a good amount and could simply use a boost increase. My questions are, should I upgrade? Should I get the best Am2 6400+ Dual core @ 3.2 ghz or should I skip it and get a new Mobo/Cpu combo? My Mobo isn't an OCing mobo either or I would have oced it. Should I get intel or Am2+/Phenom or what? Input would be greatly appreciated. I don't do anything but play games and myspace, download music, watch movies. What processor would make my GFX card not bottleneck for a budget gamer's wallet? Anything $300 and below is all right. I don't have that much money, but enough to buy some adequate upgrades if need be.

Cymus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Sorry, forgot to specify what kind of games I play. I play all the latest games. Example: Bioshock, Call of duty 4, (COD WAW when it comes out),Crysis.. You get it.. The latest games are the ones I'm interested in the most. Thanks!

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Here is your CPU support list.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M2N4-SLI

and here are some prices.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343%201050717007&name=Athlon%2064%20X2
You could get a Athlon 64 X2 6400+ or a 6000 for pretty cheap.
If you want to spend more money right now some of the Phenoms are pretty inexpensive for a budget quad core build but you would need a new motherboard.A great motherboard for the Phenoms is the 790GX boards and even though these are designed for ATI graphics cards you could use your 1 Nvidia card in it.This would run you about $300 for both a Phenom and a 790GX board upgrade.
Price wise you would be better off just sticking with what you have and upgrade your CPU right now.In the games that you mentioned getting a Phenom would show no improvement (You would get better performance from a faster dual core) as these titles are not quad optimized as far as I know.However you would be able to run a virus scan and have a better Windows experience overall.So the Athlon X2 6400+ or the 6000+ for now would be your best bet.

Cymus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I'm saying, what would compliment my 9800 GTX best and make it so I have NO slow downs at all. I'll wait for a few more posts, so far you're all just pretty much saying get a new processor. So I'm leaning towards that so far. Thanks for the posts so far.

Cymus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I just want a processor that will not bottleneck my graphics card. I never plan to SLI, but my am2 4200 doesn't cut it. =(