Best graphics card currently avaliable by model and brand

forbesholden

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Hi, :hello:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best graphics card currently avaliable to buy. And also, once the model has been determined, which brand should I buy, as obviously they will all have their own cooling systems / specifications. I did already look at the performance charts, but these sureley are not conclusive as they only offer an insight into the actual processor performance? Any ideas?

Thanks

andrewcc

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Well, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,1987.html is going to be the best place for you. It gives you the best performing card at several different price levels. This way you can base your pick on your budget. If you just want the top of the line card, well.....find the one that costs the most, and you'll be in the right ballpark.

As to manufactuer, Evga, Asus, XFX have some of the best warrenties/Customer service departments I've dealt with. Beyond those, a dual slot cooler is usually better than a single slot if you have the space. Other than those two points, the cards are all essentially the same unless you get a factory overclocked card (which will obviously be faster, and most likly more expensive).

Oh, yeah....as rockyjohn says below.....I assumed you were looking for a gaming card. If you're not, and more into making a home theatre box or doing graphics work, than the list I pointed you to isn't going to be worth much. Good catch on that one Rocky.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Are you trying to find a card to build a sysem around or do you have a system now to put card into? If the later, provide details so we know what limits there might be.

Also - is this primarily for gaming or other purposes. For instance, whether gaming or other applications - particularly something like video editing - make a huge difference. There are professional cards that run circles around gaming cards for different applications - and can cost thousands of dollars.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
"Best" is a very vague term. Depending on what sort of thing you're looking for, there's a wide range of what could be the "best."

What would make this a lot easier is if you told us what you wanted to do with it; what programs (games, movie editing software, whatever, name it) and what settings and performance you expect, as well as your budget. There's a wide variety of video cards out there for a reason: there's a wide variety of niches to fill.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008

1+

forbesholden

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I already have a system to put it in, I built it recently and managed to fry my graphics card playing Crysis within a month :pfff: , so I though I would actually try spending some money on a new graphics card instead of overclocking a cheaper one (it was fine during benchmarks but then i played Crysis and well....). And I would be need my graphics card to be primarily a gamer card rather than anything else.
My current system has the following spec:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Motherboard
Intel Core Duo 2 E8200
(No graphics card atm)
2 x 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer
Hitachi Deskstar 500GB
Apevia 500W Transparent Aluminium PSU
NZXT Tempest Case

Thanks

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
For me the best value is the Evga 9800GX2, I was able to buy it at a reasonable price of $290.

For that price is the best price/performance right now.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
If you want to max out Crysis, the 4870X2 is pretty much your only hope. Neither the 9800GX2 or GTX 280 can really stand up once you get to the particularly high resolutions with AA, (often getting single-digit framerates) while the 4870X2 can be playable at some parts.

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
not sure 500w is enough for the 4870x2 though? don't know a ton about it but that will probably be pushing it.

What resolution are you gaming at? that will impact what is the best card for you as well?

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
550W I believe was the minimum for a 4870X2, though I don't know about amperage numbers. A solid 600W or better PSU should do the trick, just make sure it's got a good rep, 80+ efficiency, enough PCI-E connectors and a high amperage. Brands like Corsair, Thermaltake, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Antec and FSP are often praised for good PSUs.

skywalker9952

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
A 4870X2 might also light up some fireworks in your PSU. Your looking at ~$100 on a new PSU as well if you go with the 4870X2. Your budget would be really helpful. The 4870X2 is the best video card available, but may not be what you need. You rig looks like a mid end build and suggests you aren't into spending premium money for premium components. If that is in fact the case may I suggest a 4850 for $150 after rebate from gigabyte:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125224

But if you are into spending $580 on a video card + $100 on a PSU then the 4870X2 and a new PSU are the way to go. Of course that upgrade probably cost more then the rest of your rig.

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
also there is no sense in spending huge amounts if your resolution isn't at the top. you can save money on graphics card and psu that will still max everything out.

so for best info we need:

budget
resolution on monitor

thanks!

Chawncy

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Maybe not the best one out there, but here's a pretty good deal on a nice one.

HIS Radeon HD 4870 512MB PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card for $193 after rebate + free shipping
NewBiiz.com (formerly eWiz) offers the HIS Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 256-bit PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card, model no. H487F512P, for $213.13 with free shipping. This $20 mail-in rebate cuts it to $193.13. That's $77 off our mention from a month ago and the lowest total price we've seen. It supports CrossFire and features a 2560x1600 max resolution, 750MHz core clock speed, 1800MHz memory clock, dual DVI outputs with HCDP, HDMI adapter, and more. Deal ends August 31.
Hotness: Posted 7 hrs, 55 mins ago Tell a friend More PCI Express...