Sign in with
Your question

SSD performance over HDD + what SSD for me?

Last response: in Storage
December 8, 2009 10:06:09 PM

hi all

quick question, im looking at getting a ssd to use for gaming. i currently have 2 western digital, 1 is 750gb the other 640gb drives one is used for the operating system, the other i have games and other kinds of software on. any way, if i was to create a raid 0 ( can i do this with 2 different capacity drives?) and grab a ssd for games, what kind of performance would I see?

the ssds im looking at have 200mb read / 260mb write. looking ocz brand. intel also would be good.

(i actually need help to find a good drive as i dont know what to look for, so ill make this part of the post aswell, save internet space :)  )

any help would be good as im just a little confused on this subject
a b G Storage
December 8, 2009 11:13:01 PM

I don't know if you can raid them but the only difference you will see in games is the possibility of a very slight increase in load times because most games install the majority of files onto the OS drive directory in documents whether you like it or not so unless you want that SSD to be your Primary drive I see no point for this. And your FPS won't increase at all and neither will application performance, the SSD will only open things, close things, and load things faster.
m
l
December 8, 2009 11:31:43 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
I don't know if you can raid them but the only difference you will see in games is the possibility of a very slight increase in load times because most games install the majority of files onto the OS drive directory in documents whether you like it or not so unless you want that SSD to be your Primary drive I see no point for this. And your FPS won't increase at all and neither will application performance, the SSD will only open things, close things, and load things faster.

thanks for the reply

i see that i need it due to stuttering in games as it is loading and such while i am playing that is why i am asking, not for a fps increase.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 9, 2009 6:17:03 PM

If you actually want your maps and levels of your games to load faster than yes, a faster storage device will help, if you want more fps and applications actually performing tasks better than you need a better GPu, CPU, Ram...etc.
-My recommendation is by an SSD for your OS and Games. Than use your other two mammoth hard drives for other applications which you don't really care about how fast they load and the other hard drive for storage, data, files, media...etc
m
l
December 9, 2009 10:14:09 PM

dont worry found what caused the stuttering, my cpu if a little fried, had to declock to 3.06 ghz
m
l
!