Sign in with
Your question

Setting up my homebuild(need OS help)

Last response: in Systems
July 24, 2008 1:13:04 PM

So I plan on going to 64-bit vista with my system but is it ok to set up the system using XP?

More about : setting homebuild

a b B Homebuilt system
July 24, 2008 1:45:35 PM

Be warned. You cannot upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS.
You must do a complete fresh install if the version of XP you are using is 32 bit. So, if you don't want to lose everything and start completely over, you might as well start with the Vista 64 first.
If if is a 64 bit version of XP, yeah you can install it first, then do a 64 bit Vista upgrade.
But you know, for what it is worth, I always prefer to a fresh install of any OS over an upgrade.
July 24, 2008 1:59:42 PM

why set it up with one OS only to switch to another? Just do the vista and be done.
Related resources
July 24, 2008 2:19:34 PM

^+1
If its a new build go straight to Vista 64. If it's already build, backup your stuff and do a fresh install.
July 24, 2008 2:27:00 PM

ehh, I had a XP disk on hand and not a vista. I figured I should just get 64bit vista but if it wouldn't have mattered in the end I could have begun setting up the system a little more in depth and gotten the vista disk whenever. Do you guys recommend a specific version/store to get vista from?
a b B Homebuilt system
July 24, 2008 2:32:05 PM

Get the OEM version (System builder's pack) at Newegg.com.
Stores sell the retail version which is more expensive.

July 24, 2008 2:36:54 PM

yeah that was my plan, but didnt want to influence the answer to my question =P

Now the real question I had was should I really be concerned with the difference between Home premium and ultimate?
July 24, 2008 2:58:30 PM

Don't forget, if you buy the OEM version you are your own support desk. That's why it's cheaper than the retail version.
July 24, 2008 3:10:08 PM

rockford said:
Don't forget, if you buy the OEM version you are your own support desk. That's why it's cheaper than the retail version.

Do you actually know anyone that has called MS for support? I don't.
July 24, 2008 3:13:02 PM

Poor MS support guy, must be a lonely, unsatisfying life...
July 24, 2008 3:16:34 PM

hairycat101 said:
Do you actually know anyone that has called MS for support? I don't.

Not everyone who posts here is a genius know-it-all like you or me! :) 
July 24, 2008 3:22:44 PM

well why would you go to MS support if you could just come to these forums? ^_^
July 24, 2008 3:26:45 PM

rockford said:
Not everyone who posts here is a genius know-it-all like you or me! :) 

you would have to be the first to call me a genius. Most call me dumb-@$$... Still, the phone bank at the big companies is usually full of people with accents so strong you can't understand them anyways. And they usually tell you to do things that have no relation what-so-ever to the problem you are facing. Yes, you are better off to take your problems to this forum.
July 24, 2008 3:33:05 PM

true, maybe that was their plan from the very beginning?

but still, is there really an $80 difference between 64bit ultimate and 64bit home premium?
July 24, 2008 3:42:22 PM

I called MS for support. I think it was in 2006. I purchased a copy of XP x64.
Spell check did'nt work in OutLook Express. I talked to several people for hours. The first problem was that none of them spoke english very well. The second problem was that after all that time they didnt have a clue as to what was happening. I find out later that because the way MS wrote XP x64 you can not get spell check in outlook express. You have to do a work around. Dont you think they would have know that? What a waste of time.

I got side tracked..
Here are the different versions of Vista. Personally I dont need Ultimate. Home Premimun has everything I need. You will have to make your own decision as to which one you need.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-...
a b B Homebuilt system
July 24, 2008 3:51:51 PM

+1 for Vista OEM version. There are only a few companies that have good support (imo): EVGA, Gigabyte, Falcon Northwest, Newegg.
July 24, 2008 3:57:15 PM

Yes, OEM. I agree.
I only posted the link to high light the different editions
July 24, 2008 4:26:40 PM

thanks for all the replies, I had read that already, just didn't know if there were any hidden things different between the 2 OSs. Thanks for all the help ^_^
!