Messed with BIOS now HD is noisy

whit80

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
I was experimenting on my PC BIOS, changing a few settings to try to get better performance in some games. My SATA hard drive settings were set to Legacy and and changed that to Native, and I changed the mode to AHCI. I also changed the performance enhance setting in BIOS from Turbo to Extreme. These changes did not help me, however, and the system would not boot (couldn't see the hard drive). I changed everything back and the system boots normally now, except I noticed that the hard drive was considerably noisier than before. It used to be pretty much silent, but now I really notice it chattering when it is accessing data. I find it hard to believe that what I did to the BIOS settings could affect the hard drive but who knows. Anyone have any ideas what may have happened. Or maybe just coincidently my hard drive is about to fail, even though it is only a few months old. Thanks for any help.

Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard v1.6 BIOS FB
EVGA GeForce GTX 275 PCI Express Video Card
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Kit Desktop Memory
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
HP 22X DVD Burner SATA Model 1170i
AuzenTech AZT-FORTE X-Fi Forte 7.1 PCI Express Sound Card
ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit sp2

G

Sounds like the hard drive is having to do a lot more work -- maybe you inadvertently changed something like a delayed write-back setting. Or reduced Windows' virtual memory size.

If no-one here can help a visit to Western Digital's site might reveal a FAQ -- or possibly you could e-mail a tech there.