XP Pro Admin Question

Howdy all...

Recent install of XP Pro.

Is there a major disadvantage to running as Admin user all the time? I never
setup any users, and I'm the only user of the machine. Are there security
risks from the outside world (internet), or otherwise if I always run as the
Admin?
22 answers Last reply
More about admin question

    Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    > Howdy all...
    >
    > Recent install of XP Pro.
    >
    > Is there a major disadvantage to running as Admin user all the time? I never
    > setup any users, and I'm the only user of the machine. Are there security
    > risks from the outside world (internet), or otherwise if I always run as the
    > Admin?

    The major danger of always running the computer with administrative
    privileges is that any malware that gets in under your user account also
    has full administrative privileges to the machine, allowing it to
    penetrate much more deeply into system files, the registry, and, of
    course, any personal data.

    The built-in Administrator account really isn't intended to be used
    for day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to rename
    it, set a strong password on it and use it only to create another
    account for regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back
    door" in case something corrupts your regular account(s).

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:06:13 -0700, Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:

    > Howdy all...
    >
    > Recent install of XP Pro.
    >
    > Is there a major disadvantage to running as Admin user all the time? I never
    > setup any users, and I'm the only user of the machine. Are there security
    > risks from the outside world (internet), or otherwise if I always run as the
    > Admin?

    There are security risks when running as Administrator or as a user within
    the administrator group. Any malware that comes along can install during
    your logon. It cannot do this when running as a Limited user.

    Ideally, install all your software while logged on as an administrator but
    use a limited account for "everyday" stuff. Sounds good. Unfortunately,
    there is a LOT of software out there that refuses to run on limited
    accounts. There are methods of getting software to work for limited user
    accounts but they work only for most program - not all.

    Here's a link to MVP Rick Rogers page that covers the ins and outs of
    installing software in XP for all users:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

    Bottom line: You're going to have to decide for yourself how to deal with
    this. At the very least, would suggest running a limited account while
    browsing the internet.

    Side note: I usually leave the default administrator account, named
    Administrator alone, and create a second account in the administrator
    group. Under these conditions, the default account "disappears" off of the
    welcome screen and reserved for trouble shooting purposes. Example: if my
    account becomes damaged and inaccessible, I still have "Administrator"
    available and can conduct repairs while logged on with it.

    To access the builtin account Administrator in WinXP Pro, press
    Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the Welcome screen.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Ah! Thanks everyone... I guess this will be my excuse to spend the weekend
    behind the 'puter! :-)

    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:06:13 -0700, Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    >
    >> Howdy all...
    >>
    >> Recent install of XP Pro.
    >>
    >> Is there a major disadvantage to running as Admin user all the time? I
    >> never
    >> setup any users, and I'm the only user of the machine. Are there security
    >> risks from the outside world (internet), or otherwise if I always run as
    >> the
    >> Admin?
    >
    > There are security risks when running as Administrator or as a user within
    > the administrator group. Any malware that comes along can install during
    > your logon. It cannot do this when running as a Limited user.
    >
    > Ideally, install all your software while logged on as an administrator but
    > use a limited account for "everyday" stuff. Sounds good. Unfortunately,
    > there is a LOT of software out there that refuses to run on limited
    > accounts. There are methods of getting software to work for limited user
    > accounts but they work only for most program - not all.
    >
    > Here's a link to MVP Rick Rogers page that covers the ins and outs of
    > installing software in XP for all users:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm
    >
    > Bottom line: You're going to have to decide for yourself how to deal with
    > this. At the very least, would suggest running a limited account while
    > browsing the internet.
    >
    > Side note: I usually leave the default administrator account, named
    > Administrator alone, and create a second account in the administrator
    > group. Under these conditions, the default account "disappears" off of the
    > welcome screen and reserved for trouble shooting purposes. Example: if my
    > account becomes damaged and inaccessible, I still have "Administrator"
    > available and can conduct repairs while logged on with it.
    >
    > To access the builtin account Administrator in WinXP Pro, press
    > Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the Welcome screen.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    oh brother i do have a lot to learn.

    i created a limited user...so now i have to enable the limited user to be
    able to use all the programs i installed?...where?

    "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in message
    > Ah! Thanks everyone... I guess this will be my excuse to spend the weekend
    > behind the 'puter! :-)
    >

    > "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:06:13 -0700, Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Howdy all...
    >>>
    >>> Recent install of XP Pro.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a major disadvantage to running as Admin user all the time? I
    >>> never
    >>> setup any users, and I'm the only user of the machine. Are there
    >>> security
    >>> risks from the outside world (internet), or otherwise if I always run as
    >>> the
    >>> Admin?
    >>
    >> There are security risks when running as Administrator or as a user
    >> within
    >> the administrator group. Any malware that comes along can install during
    >> your logon. It cannot do this when running as a Limited user.
    >>
    >> Ideally, install all your software while logged on as an administrator
    >> but
    >> use a limited account for "everyday" stuff. Sounds good. Unfortunately,
    >> there is a LOT of software out there that refuses to run on limited
    >> accounts. There are methods of getting software to work for limited user
    >> accounts but they work only for most program - not all.
    >>
    >> Here's a link to MVP Rick Rogers page that covers the ins and outs of
    >> installing software in XP for all users:
    >> http://www.rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm
    >>
    >> Bottom line: You're going to have to decide for yourself how to deal with
    >> this. At the very least, would suggest running a limited account while
    >> browsing the internet.
    >>
    >> Side note: I usually leave the default administrator account, named
    >> Administrator alone, and create a second account in the administrator
    >> group. Under these conditions, the default account "disappears" off of
    >> the
    >> welcome screen and reserved for trouble shooting purposes. Example: if my
    >> account becomes damaged and inaccessible, I still have "Administrator"
    >> available and can conduct repairs while logged on with it.
    >>
    >> To access the builtin account Administrator in WinXP Pro, press
    >> Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the Welcome screen.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sharon F
    >> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    What I had done was changed the original Admininstrator name to XXXX, then
    installed all my software email blah blah blah..then began using the machine
    under XXXX.

    Can I work backwards and create a another backup Administrator?

    When I added just a regular user, looks like I will have problems with some
    programs and also have to setup Outlook email etc. all over again?

    I'm off to buy XP Pro Inside Out...

    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:06:13 -0700, Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    >
    >> Howdy all...
    >>
    >> Recent install of XP Pro.
    >>
    >> Is there a major disadvantage to running as Admin user all the time? I
    >> never
    >> setup any users, and I'm the only user of the machine. Are there security
    >> risks from the outside world (internet), or otherwise if I always run as
    >> the
    >> Admin?
    >
    > There are security risks when running as Administrator or as a user within
    > the administrator group. Any malware that comes along can install during
    > your logon. It cannot do this when running as a Limited user.
    >
    > Ideally, install all your software while logged on as an administrator but
    > use a limited account for "everyday" stuff. Sounds good. Unfortunately,
    > there is a LOT of software out there that refuses to run on limited
    > accounts. There are methods of getting software to work for limited user
    > accounts but they work only for most program - not all.
    >
    > Here's a link to MVP Rick Rogers page that covers the ins and outs of
    > installing software in XP for all users:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm
    >
    > Bottom line: You're going to have to decide for yourself how to deal with
    > this. At the very least, would suggest running a limited account while
    > browsing the internet.
    >
    > Side note: I usually leave the default administrator account, named
    > Administrator alone, and create a second account in the administrator
    > group. Under these conditions, the default account "disappears" off of the
    > welcome screen and reserved for trouble shooting purposes. Example: if my
    > account becomes damaged and inaccessible, I still have "Administrator"
    > available and can conduct repairs while logged on with it.
    >
    > To access the builtin account Administrator in WinXP Pro, press
    > Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the Welcome screen.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Havin' fun yet, Rob? ;-)
    --
    ===
    Tom "Pepper" Willett
    | oh brother i do have a lot to learn.
    |
    | i created a limited user...so now i have to enable the limited user to be
    | able to use all the programs i installed?...where?
    |

    | "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in message
    | > Ah! Thanks everyone... I guess this will be my excuse to spend the
    weekend
    | > behind the 'puter! :-)
    | >

    | > "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message

    | >> There are security risks when running as Administrator or as a user
    | >> within
    | >> the administrator group. Any malware that comes along can install
    during
    | >> your logon. It cannot do this when running as a Limited user.
    | >>
    | >> Ideally, install all your software while logged on as an administrator
    | >> but
    | >> use a limited account for "everyday" stuff. Sounds good. Unfortunately,
    | >> there is a LOT of software out there that refuses to run on limited
    | >> accounts. There are methods of getting software to work for limited
    user
    | >> accounts but they work only for most program - not all.
    | >>
    | >> Here's a link to MVP Rick Rogers page that covers the ins and outs of
    | >> installing software in XP for all users:
    | >> http://www.rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm
    | >>
    | >> Bottom line: You're going to have to decide for yourself how to deal
    with
    | >> this. At the very least, would suggest running a limited account while
    | >> browsing the internet.
    | >>
    | >> Side note: I usually leave the default administrator account, named
    | >> Administrator alone, and create a second account in the administrator
    | >> group. Under these conditions, the default account "disappears" off of
    | >> the
    | >> welcome screen and reserved for trouble shooting purposes. Example: if
    my
    | >> account becomes damaged and inaccessible, I still have "Administrator"
    | >> available and can conduct repairs while logged on with it.
    | >>
    | >> To access the builtin account Administrator in WinXP Pro, press
    | >> Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the Welcome screen.
    | >>
    | >> --
    | >> Sharon F
    | >> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hey Tom!

    Yah...I guess I kinda mess things up a tad with the new install of XP
    Pro...went on me happy way installing new software, sending emails etc, and
    using it for a few weeks...then thought...hmmmm maybe I should create a
    regular user now. Oye...almost nothing works as a user. I guess I got some
    reading to do.

    :-)

    Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    > oh brother i do have a lot to learn.
    >
    > i created a limited user...so now i have to enable the limited user to be
    > able to use all the programs i installed?...where?

    It depends upon each individual application. Those specifically
    designed for a mult-user, securable OS, such as WinXP, shouldn't be a
    problem.

    However, you may experience some problems if the software was
    designed for Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was
    improperly designed. Quite simply, the application doesn't "know" how to
    handle individual user profiles with differing security permissions
    levels, or the application is designed to make to make changes to
    "off-limits" sections of the Windows registry or protected Windows
    system folders.

    For example, saved data are often stored in a sub-folder under the
    application's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
    inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions.

    It may even be that the software requires "write" access to parts
    of the registry or protected systems folders/files that are not normally
    accessible to regular users. (This *won't* occur if the application is
    properly written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're
    often left with three options: Either grant the necessary users
    appropriate higher access privileges (either as Power Users or local
    administrators), explicitly grant normal users elevated privileges to
    the affected folders and/or part(s) or the registry, or replace the
    application with one that was properly designed specifically for
    WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    IMO, Rob, you should have stayed with the Administrator account as it was.

    Tom

    | Hey Tom!
    |
    | Yah...I guess I kinda mess things up a tad with the new install of XP
    | Pro...went on me happy way installing new software, sending emails etc,
    and
    | using it for a few weeks...then thought...hmmmm maybe I should create a
    | regular user now. Oye...almost nothing works as a user. I guess I got some
    | reading to do.
    |

    | :-)
    |

    | "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
    | > Havin' fun yet, Rob? ;-)
    | > --
    | > ===
    | > Tom "Pepper" Willett
    | > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
    | > ---
    | > About FrontPage 2003:
    | > http://office.microsoft.com/home/office.aspx?assetid=FX01085802
    | > How to ask a newsgroup question:
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    | > ===
    | > "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
    message
    | > | oh brother i do have a lot to learn.
    | > |
    | > | i created a limited user...so now i have to enable the limited user
    | > be
    | > | able to use all the programs i installed?...where?
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
    | > message
    | > weekend

    | > run
    | > as

    | > during

    | > administrator
    | > Unfortunately,
    | > user

    | > with
    | > while

    | > of
    | > if
    | > my
    | > "Administrator"

    | > |
    | > |

    Beginning to think so too.
    Are you saying it was bad to change it's name as well?...or just not muck
    with user accounts.

    > IMO, Rob, you should have stayed with the Administrator account as it was.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in message
    > | Hey Tom!
    > |
    > | Yah...I guess I kinda mess things up a tad with the new install of XP
    > | Pro...went on me happy way installing new software, sending emails etc,
    > and
    > | using it for a few weeks...then thought...hmmmm maybe I should create a
    > | regular user now. Oye...almost nothing works as a user. I guess I got
    > some
    > | reading to do.
    > |

    > | :-)
    > |

    > | "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
    > | > Havin' fun yet, Rob? ;-)
    > | > --
    > | > ===
    > | > Tom "Pepper" Willett
    > | > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
    > | > ---
    > | > About FrontPage 2003:
    > | > http://office.microsoft.com/home/office.aspx?assetid=FX01085802
    > | > How to ask a newsgroup question:
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    > | > ===
    > | > "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
    > message
    > | > |
    > | > be
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > message
    > | > weekend

    > time?
    > always
    > | > run
    > | > as

    > user
    > | > during

    > | > administrator
    > | > Unfortunately,
    > limited
    > limited
    > | > user

    > outs
    > of

    > deal
    > | > with
    > | > while

    > named
    > administrator
    > off
    > | > of
    > Example:
    > | > if
    > | > my
    > | > "Administrator"

    > | > |
    > | > |

    tom,

    another question,,, what's the aspnet_wp account ? I think it was created
    when I installed IIS and FP extensions(?)

    "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
    > IMO, Rob, you should have stayed with the Administrator account as it was.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in message
    > | Hey Tom!
    > |
    > | Yah...I guess I kinda mess things up a tad with the new install of XP
    > | Pro...went on me happy way installing new software, sending emails etc,
    > and
    > | using it for a few weeks...then thought...hmmmm maybe I should create a
    > | regular user now. Oye...almost nothing works as a user. I guess I got
    > some
    > | reading to do.
    > |

    > | :-)
    > |

    > | "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
    > | > Havin' fun yet, Rob? ;-)
    > | > --
    > | > ===
    > | > Tom "Pepper" Willett
    > | > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
    > | > ---
    > | > About FrontPage 2003:
    > | > http://office.microsoft.com/home/office.aspx?assetid=FX01085802
    > | > How to ask a newsgroup question:
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    > | > ===
    > | > "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
    > message
    > | > |
    > | > be
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > message
    > | > weekend

    > time?
    > always
    > | > run
    > | > as

    > user
    > | > during

    > | > administrator
    > | > Unfortunately,
    > limited
    > limited
    > | > user

    > outs
    > of

    > deal
    > | > with
    > | > while

    > named
    > administrator
    > off
    > | > of
    > Example:
    > | > if
    > | > my
    > | > "Administrator"

    > | > |
    > | > |

    Should have left it alone Rob :-)

    Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    > Howdy all...
    >
    > Recent install of XP Pro.
    >
    > Is there a major disadvantage to running as Admin user all the time?
    > I never setup any users, and I'm the only user of the machine. Are
    > there security risks from the outside world (internet), or otherwise
    > if I always run as the Admin?

    As well as the other responses, if you only have the built-in administrator
    account in use, and it gets corrupted, the ONLY way into your machine is via
    a repair install of XP.

    Rob: See http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

    Tom

    | tom,
    |
    | another question,,, what's the aspnet_wp account ? I think it was created
    | when I installed IIS and FP extensions(?)

    | "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
    | > IMO, Rob, you should have stayed with the Administrator account as it
    was.

    | > Tom
    | >
    | > "Rob Giordano (Crash)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
    message
    | > | Hey Tom!
    | > |
    | > | Yah...I guess I kinda mess things up a tad with the new install of XP
    | > | Pro...went on me happy way installing new software, sending emails
    etc,
    | > and
    | > | using it for a few weeks...then thought...hmmmm maybe I should create
    | > | regular user now. Oye...almost nothing works as a user. I guess I got
    | > some
    | > | reading to do.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | :-)
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
    | > message
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > time?
    | > always

    | > user

    | > limited
    | > limited

    | > outs
    | > of

    | > deal

    | > named
    | > administrator
    | > off
    | > Example:

    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    Cool...thanks for the link.

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:53:01 -0700, Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:

    > What I had done was changed the original Admininstrator name to XXXX, then
    > installed all my software email blah blah blah..then began using the machine
    > under XXXX.
    >
    > Can I work backwards and create a another backup Administrator?
    >
    > When I added just a regular user, looks like I will have problems with some
    > programs and also have to setup Outlook email etc. all over again?
    >
    > I'm off to buy XP Pro Inside Out...

    That first admin account is always the default account - the one that gets
    hidden when you create a second account within the administrator group. So
    no, you cannot backwards fit a new builtin admin account.

    You could create another account in the administrator group. Then copy your
    data, settings, documents over to it. A bit of a bother if you've already
    been using the builtin account for a period of time. Up to you whether it's
    worth the effort.

    Another approach... Keep using the account that you have now. Create a
    second admin account. Leave that one alone so that it is as "clean" as
    possible for troubleshooting. You could use TweakUI for XP to force the
    builtin account (your current one) back on to the welcome screen and to
    hide the one that you've just created.

    I think the setup should be a little more clear about what that special
    account is and encourage you to adjust your user accounts right away. That
    way the builtin account immediately falls off of the welcome screen. Your
    new admin account takes its place. From there, you can experiment with
    tweaking a limited account so that it will at least runs the apps that you
    usually use.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Ah, ok I sorta overstand. I'll do some reading and experimenting.

    Thanks!

    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:53:01 -0700, Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    >
    >> What I had done was changed the original Admininstrator name to XXXX,
    >> then
    >> installed all my software email blah blah blah..then began using the
    >> machine
    >> under XXXX.
    >>
    >> Can I work backwards and create a another backup Administrator?
    >>
    >> When I added just a regular user, looks like I will have problems with
    >> some
    >> programs and also have to setup Outlook email etc. all over again?
    >>
    >> I'm off to buy XP Pro Inside Out...
    >
    > That first admin account is always the default account - the one that gets
    > hidden when you create a second account within the administrator group. So
    > no, you cannot backwards fit a new builtin admin account.
    >
    > You could create another account in the administrator group. Then copy
    > your
    > data, settings, documents over to it. A bit of a bother if you've already
    > been using the builtin account for a period of time. Up to you whether
    > it's
    > worth the effort.
    >
    > Another approach... Keep using the account that you have now. Create a
    > second admin account. Leave that one alone so that it is as "clean" as
    > possible for troubleshooting. You could use TweakUI for XP to force the
    > builtin account (your current one) back on to the welcome screen and to
    > hide the one that you've just created.
    >
    > I think the setup should be a little more clear about what that special
    > account is and encourage you to adjust your user accounts right away. That
    > way the builtin account immediately falls off of the welcome screen. Your
    > new admin account takes its place. From there, you can experiment with
    > tweaking a limited account so that it will at least runs the apps that you
    > usually use.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:53:01 -0700, Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    >
    >> What I had done was changed the original Admininstrator name to XXXX,
    >> then
    >> installed all my software email blah blah blah..then began using the
    >> machine
    >> under XXXX.
    >>
    >> Can I work backwards and create a another backup Administrator?
    >>
    >> When I added just a regular user, looks like I will have problems with
    >> some
    >> programs and also have to setup Outlook email etc. all over again?
    >>
    >> I'm off to buy XP Pro Inside Out...
    >
    > That first admin account is always the default account - the one that gets
    > hidden when you create a second account within the administrator group. So
    > no, you cannot backwards fit a new builtin admin account.
    >
    > You could create another account in the administrator group. Then copy
    > your
    > data, settings, documents over to it.

    Sharon...some of this is beyond my needs, but out of curiousity, how would
    you copy over all of your settings in IE/OE (say you had 50 or more changed
    settings in all the different check boxes), and say you wanted to copy over
    other settings on your pc (eg folder option settings, etc). I would have
    thought you would have to re-do them one at a time. Are you implying that
    you can copy them over as a unit or group, by exporting them, or something
    like that. Please excuse my ignorance...Pete

    A bit of a bother if you've already
    > been using the builtin account for a period of time. Up to you whether
    > it's
    > worth the effort.
    >
    > Another approach... Keep using the account that you have now. Create a
    > second admin account. Leave that one alone so that it is as "clean" as
    > possible for troubleshooting. You could use TweakUI for XP to force the
    > builtin account (your current one) back on to the welcome screen and to
    > hide the one that you've just created.
    >
    > I think the setup should be a little more clear about what that special
    > account is and encourage you to adjust your user accounts right away. That
    > way the builtin account immediately falls off of the welcome screen. Your
    > new admin account takes its place. From there, you can experiment with
    > tweaking a limited account so that it will at least runs the apps that you
    > usually use.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 17:19:31 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > Sharon...some of this is beyond my needs, but out of curiousity, how would
    > you copy over all of your settings in IE/OE (say you had 50 or more changed
    > settings in all the different check boxes), and say you wanted to copy over
    > other settings on your pc (eg folder option settings, etc). I would have
    > thought you would have to re-do them one at a time. Are you implying that
    > you can copy them over as a unit or group, by exporting them, or something
    > like that. Please excuse my ignorance...Pete

    Hi, Pete. There's a few ways to do this.

    You could use the File and Settings Transfer wizard. You're not
    transferring from one machine to another. Instead you're transferring from
    one account to another. A good article about using FAST here:
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    Or you could use System properties> Advanced> User Profiles>Settings: Copy
    To. You cannot be logged on to the account that you are copying from or
    copying to. Workaround: create a "throwaway" account in the administrator
    group. Log on with this throwaway to do the transfer steps. When the Copy
    has completed, delete the throwaway account. More info:
    The "Copy To" Button in the System Properties Dialog Box Is Unavailable
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291555

    Or follow the steps in the MS Knowledge Base article:

    With all of those methods, most - not all - settings will transfer. Some
    will back up email and favorites. Mail settings (all server info and/or
    passwords) will need to be redone. Suggest backing up contents of your mail
    in case they need to be transferred manually. Or in case you run into
    trouble with whatever transfer method you try. IE Favorites can be
    exported and then imported using IE menus.

    Detailed discussion about transferring OE data can be found here:
    http://www.insideoe.com/backup/

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Thanks a lot Sharon...I will check all this stuff out - it looks rather
    complicated. I am always trying to learn new stuff about windows. I went
    to the FAST (in XP) and it looked like it just did pc to pc, I need to check
    it out more - windows firewall immediately tried to block it, when I clicked
    next - and I need to check out the FAST site you mentioned in more detail -
    it looks like profound stuff, ie for the customizing.

    I already know about exporting favorites from IE (bookmark.htm), and the
    ".dbx" files for OE (where the messages get stored), and have transferred
    favorites and mail in the past from my ME to my XP, but I thought that was
    just for transferring or copying to a disc or folder, etc. (ie can you also
    use it to transfer the data to another account). Maybe I'll know more after
    reading some more. I was referring more to the settings, than the favorites
    and mail, but it sounds like the wizard and the copy to stuff you mention
    does both (ie as a profile).

    I will look into this new stuff and write you in a new thread (with "Sharon
    in the subject) if I have further questions. You are a knowledgeable
    person. Thanks again...Pete

    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 17:19:31 -0400, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> Sharon...some of this is beyond my needs, but out of curiousity, how
    >> would
    >> you copy over all of your settings in IE/OE (say you had 50 or more
    >> changed
    >> settings in all the different check boxes), and say you wanted to copy
    >> over
    >> other settings on your pc (eg folder option settings, etc). I would have
    >> thought you would have to re-do them one at a time. Are you implying
    >> that
    >> you can copy them over as a unit or group, by exporting them, or
    >> something
    >> like that. Please excuse my ignorance...Pete
    >
    > Hi, Pete. There's a few ways to do this.
    >
    > You could use the File and Settings Transfer wizard. You're not
    > transferring from one machine to another. Instead you're transferring from
    > one account to another. A good article about using FAST here:
    > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >
    > Or you could use System properties> Advanced> User Profiles>Settings: Copy
    > To. You cannot be logged on to the account that you are copying from or
    > copying to. Workaround: create a "throwaway" account in the administrator
    > group. Log on with this throwaway to do the transfer steps. When the Copy
    > has completed, delete the throwaway account. More info:
    > The "Copy To" Button in the System Properties Dialog Box Is Unavailable
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291555
    >
    > Or follow the steps in the MS Knowledge Base article:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
    >
    > With all of those methods, most - not all - settings will transfer. Some
    > will back up email and favorites. Mail settings (all server info and/or
    > passwords) will need to be redone. Suggest backing up contents of your
    > mail
    > in case they need to be transferred manually. Or in case you run into
    > trouble with whatever transfer method you try. IE Favorites can be
    > exported and then imported using IE menus.
    >
    > Detailed discussion about transferring OE data can be found here:
    > http://www.insideoe.com/backup/
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:34:56 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > Thanks a lot Sharon...I will check all this stuff out - it looks rather
    > complicated. I am always trying to learn new stuff about windows. I went
    > to the FAST (in XP) and it looked like it just did pc to pc, I need to check
    > it out more - windows firewall immediately tried to block it, when I clicked
    > next - and I need to check out the FAST site you mentioned in more detail -
    > it looks like profound stuff, ie for the customizing.
    >
    > I already know about exporting favorites from IE (bookmark.htm), and the
    > ".dbx" files for OE (where the messages get stored), and have transferred
    > favorites and mail in the past from my ME to my XP, but I thought that was
    > just for transferring or copying to a disc or folder, etc. (ie can you also
    > use it to transfer the data to another account). Maybe I'll know more after
    > reading some more. I was referring more to the settings, than the favorites
    > and mail, but it sounds like the wizard and the copy to stuff you mention
    > does both (ie as a profile).
    >
    > I will look into this new stuff and write you in a new thread (with "Sharon
    > in the subject) if I have further questions. You are a knowledgeable
    > person. Thanks again...Pete

    You're welcome, Pete. Now you can see why others have said "leave it as is"
    in this thread. It's a lot of work to get everything re-situated. Still the
    info is good to know if an account corrupts and it won't allow a logon.

    Many user settings are recorded in the registry. XP's registry is broken
    down into several parts or "hives." "NTUSER.DAT" in particular holds info
    relating to one user. There is one active ntuser.dat file for each account.
    When logged on to a third account as outlined in some of those articles,
    the user hive for the source account and destination account are not
    loaded. They can then be copied to complete the transfer of user
    preferences.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Yah. And it turns out I'm an idiot....I didn't muck up the Administrator its
    been there all along just didn't know it was invisible most of the time, I
    musta created my user account correctly by accident or brain fart.

    So I have an empty Administrator account with password.
    And my Rob account with all working software and IE setup etc,...and a
    password.

    whew.

Microsoft Windows XP