Sign in with
Your question

New X2 6000+...I would have waited if I had known...

Last response: in CPUs
September 25, 2008 8:36:24 PM

So today I found out that there's a new X2 6000+...clocked at 3.1 rather than 3.0 and is 65nm rather than 90nm....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103272

Anyone know how this one fares to the older 6000+???...I got the older one like 2 months ago (and am sooo mad that this just came out...if only I had known...)

More about : 6000 waited

September 25, 2008 8:57:33 PM

I think the one you have is probably better. you have the 90nm one with 2x1mb of l2 cache. The new 6000+, like all other 65nm brisbanes, is 2x512 l2 cache with a slightly higher clock speed to compensate with the higher cache (slightly) lower clock. The only advantage to the new one is that it's 89W instead of 125W (which means lower temps). As long as your board can handle the higher TDP, and you have decent airflow through your case, you're not losing anything by having 90nm.
a c 87 à CPUs
September 25, 2008 8:58:33 PM

Probably about the same, although the older one might be a bit faster. Remember that the 65nm chips have slower L2 cache speeds, and need a small frequency boost to overcome this. This means that a 3GHz dual core 65nm x2 should be just a bit slower then a 3GHz dual core 90nm x2. Seeing as both are so close to the 3.2-3.4GHz ceiling that the x2 has, I wouldn't expect either to overclock better.

Seeing as all should be close to the same, I'd let price/availability dictate which I get.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 25, 2008 9:09:49 PM

What about heat? Wouldn't the lower heat give it a bit more room to OC?
September 25, 2008 9:28:58 PM

maybe a tad, but like 75454b said, these chips (even with proper cooling) probably won't clock past 3.4GHz. Even with liquid cooling, I'd say the best you
September 25, 2008 9:29:25 PM

maybe a tad, but like 75454b said, these chips (even with proper cooling) probably won't clock past 3.4GHz. Even with liquid cooling, I'd say the best you'd get would be about 3.6Ghz
September 25, 2008 9:30:08 PM

maybe a tad, but like 75454b said, these chips (even with proper cooling) probably won't clock past 3.4GHz. Even with liquid cooling, I'd say the best you'd get would be about 3.6Ghz (maybe, if you have a golden chip)
September 25, 2008 9:36:30 PM

I like
September 25, 2008 9:36:42 PM

I like your style
September 25, 2008 9:36:55 PM

I like your style of posting.
September 25, 2008 9:39:40 PM

jay_l_a said:
I like your style of posting.

sry, I clicked back b/c I was too lazy to edit my message. I thought it'd only post once. oh well.
September 25, 2008 9:51:57 PM

i like too :) )
September 25, 2008 10:43:47 PM

It's kinda of like....
September 25, 2008 10:44:05 PM

duff beer :sol: 
a b à CPUs
September 25, 2008 10:50:04 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's any faster than what you got. It's kinda disappointing that the Brisbane were kind of a step back from the Windsor as far as IPC. Anyway I'm waiting to see if my board will be able to take AM3 CPUs. Man if AM3 CPUs aren't compatible with my board I'm gonna be PO d.
September 26, 2008 12:23:08 AM

It looks like the unofficial leaked road maps only provide 2 CPU's in December designed for boards with DDR2. They will be discontinued at the end of Q1 2009, so there's a small window for upgrades on AM2+ boards that can handle 125 watts. None of the 95 watt 45nm CPU's will support DDR2.

The later Denebs, the Propus, Hexa and Rana code named CPU's will all be DDR3, thus AM3 only. Unless the leaked road maps are wrong, it seems that AMD is running into problems getting both DDR2 and DDR3 to work with the same CPU's.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-phenom-naming,6397...

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/23/...

Xbitlab's 3 weeks older article still mentions dual memory controllers on the Propus (but Propus won't have L3 cache).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20080902110807...

Reports like these are why I gave in and switched motherboards and CPU last weekend. The X2 4600+ was limiting my graphics card too much and when I upgrade to Deneb or Hexa, I'll just get a new motherboard and RAM and switch this over to an HTPC.

If the price/performance of AM3 and DDR3 isn't worth it just 6 months after this upgrade, I'll just wait for a year until prices come down and I'm sure that whatever replaces AM3 board that replaces the 780G is stable with affordable RAM.

Deneb is only expected to be about 10% to 20% faster than B3's and that may only be the ones with L3 cache. I wonder if AMD will still be selling B3's into next spring and summer?
September 26, 2008 5:12:23 AM

well i guess im glad that I got my cpu then :)  ...especially since I got a wicked deal on it by getting it with a combo and promo code :) 
September 26, 2008 7:46:09 AM

ahslan said:
well i guess im glad that I got my cpu then :)  ...especially since I got a wicked deal on it by getting it with a combo and promo code :) 

You should get a new PSU next. Maybe it's just me, but I never had luck with Raidmax PSU's. Have fun with your new system.

I wish the economy wasn't tanking out. I'd love to have a 3.0 gigahertz Deneb next spring. Looks like I'll be happy with my 8750 for awhile. If you're not married, just wait till you are. My wife needs her PC to be as up to speed as mine, and our 8 year old wants his kept up too (not that Spore or Fate are that intensive -- had to register his Spore under my name and e-mail as he's 2 years under the games' ratings).

September 28, 2008 3:39:07 AM

I know I should've gone with a different brand but when I bought the psu, it was such a ridiculously cheap deal and I based my purchase mostly on the positive ratings it had on newegg (and its sexy semi-modular cables)....hopefully it doesnt fail me anytime soon...

September 28, 2008 12:12:51 PM

ahslan said:
I know I should've gone with a different brand but when I bought the psu, it was such a ridiculously cheap deal and I based my purchase mostly on the positive ratings it had on newegg (and its sexy semi-modular cables)....hopefully it doesnt fail me anytime soon...

Johnny Guru's a good site to go to for reviews.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/

Even a company with a bad rep because of barebones PSU's can have a good model that stands out. Most companies don't make their own PSU's, only a few do, but other companies rebrand. One old fashioned method to test quality is to heft a PSU in one's hand. I compared a Raidmax PSU from a barebones I built last year to the Antec True Power I replaced it with, and it was light as a feather in my left hand compared to the Antec in my right.

I've demonstrated the heft method to friends who wanted to buy the cheapest PSU at Fry's too and convinced them to go a bit better in quality. I never use barebones PSU's, though I might if I ever buy an Antec case with an Earthwatts or something similar.

Seasonic is a good company, they made all 3 of the Antec PSU's I have at home. Coolermaster got bad reviews for budget PSU's but back when Tom's had a PSU wiki, they were rated in the lowest "don't buy" tier along with Raidmax -- except for the one PSU I bought based on reviews in PC magazines that was rated one tier higher.
a c 87 à CPUs
September 28, 2008 2:55:15 PM

Although not as accurate as Jonnyguru, the "heft" method does (usually) work. In case its not obvious, the reason is that quality simply weighs more. More metal in the heatsinks, more resistors/capacitors, etc simply add more weight to the overall product.

This isn't to say that a light weight PSU can't work, or that a tier 5 PSU won't work either. But if you have $1000+ worth of parts, why take that chance? (and that doesn't include the software/family pictures...)
September 28, 2008 8:46:19 PM

ahslan said:

Are you implying you are going to continue using the PSU till it fails? 'Cause I would budget in to replace it with something decent within a year or so. The potential damage it could cause to your other components if it does blow up doesn't bare thinking about.

I have had a cheap PSU blow up on me (just a non-name PSU bundled with a case). It took out a RAM stick as it went (thankfully under warrenty). Are you willing to risk a HD head crash or similar?? :cry: 

Bob
September 29, 2008 4:56:03 PM

sepayne21 said:
sry, I clicked back b/c I was too lazy to edit my message. I thought it'd only post once. oh well.

Your posting style
September 29, 2008 4:56:20 PM

Your posting style
It is so great
September 29, 2008 4:56:43 PM

Your posting style
It is so great
But getting red thumbs-down
September 29, 2008 5:08:44 PM

Your posting style
It is so great
Will be your fate
September 29, 2008 5:44:09 PM

Your posting style
It is so great
Will be your fate
Burma Shave
October 1, 2008 5:02:32 PM

well, the only time I've had trouble with a psu was when i had my x-qpack and the psu got damaged when traveling...at that was after 3 years of having it...
!