Sign in with
Your question

GA-P35-DS3R Rev 1.0 with 8g RAM?

Last response: in Memory
October 25, 2008 11:02:33 AM

Hello TomsHardware! I did a search but could not find much about the 8gig front. I would like to upgrade to 8gig from 2gig memory.

Motherboard: GA-P35-DS3R Rev 1.0
CPU: Q6600 O/C 3.2
Current memory: Crucial XMS2 PC8500 2gigs
Upgrade memory: 8gigs
OS" Vista Ultimate x64

I sent an email to Gigabyte and their reply was "it should work" I was just wondering if anyone here has done it or seen it done.
If this is not recommended is there something else I should consider for instance 8gig of PC6400 or PC 8000? With memory on the cheap I would really like to get my system into 8gig of ram.

The link below is the memory compatibility list for the motherboard.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/mothe...

More about : p35 ds3r rev ram

a b } Memory
a c 129 V Motherboard
October 25, 2008 11:23:09 AM

I am running 8gigs of Patriot on that board without any issues. You may need an extra +0.1(so if its rated for 2.1 you may[not always] need 2.2) volts when running memory in all 4 slots. I did not, but on my old board 4 sticks needed more.
October 25, 2008 11:35:49 AM

quick fix my memory is Corsair not Crucial lol those damn details get me everytime!

Thanks Nuke! I checked your profile and saw that you are running DDR2 800 so hopefully with the help of a few more posters I will find out about the
PC 1066 if not I might just bite the bullet and hope it works!
Related resources
a b } Memory
a c 129 V Motherboard
October 25, 2008 9:27:02 PM

Remember with a Core2 based cpu's memory bandwidth is not too much of an issue. I personally did not notice the difference from 667 to 800(the percentage in speed improvement is rather low), i just went 800 when i got rid of my old 667 sticks and went with all 2 gig sticks.

I would try 1066, but i think it would be a bit of a stretch for my memory, but you never know.

Corsair memory is good stuff.
October 29, 2008 6:52:57 PM

From the following link I just cant decide lol. I mean if the 1066 stuff works then great and it comes in the dominator flavor. If it is just not necessary then I could go for the 6400 stuff and cut my price in half but its not the dominator flavor. I got the cash I just cant decide. Let me know what you think!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
November 1, 2008 8:24:27 AM

Wow I was just about to post a similar question with a very similar board the GA-P35C-DS3R ahahaha..

Running Windows XP Media Center 2005 with 2GB of PC6400 (1x2GB) by GEIL.

I was thinking of adding some more ram. Maybe around 2GB more to fill up the other two DDR2 slots. (TOTAL OF 4GB (1X4GB))

Would this be as easy as inserting the modules and just booting up the PC?

Or would I have to tweak the board or Windows (if so, please tell me what I would have to do to get all 4GB working)

I have not yet chosen what RAM Id be getting.

I have seen 4gb on vista automatically. but I will go vista when i upgrade my 8600. so sticking with xp for now.

a b } Memory
a c 129 V Motherboard
November 1, 2008 12:25:59 PM

dragonbain, I can not comment on 1066 memory or even what memory works best as i have only tried a few sets on this board.

One was a set of 512 Crucial rendition(my friend had the 1 gig stuff and it NEVER worked right on the p35 DS3L, Some elpida stuff worked great after that) a set of 1024(2 gig kit) Patriot Extreme. I now have 2 sets of Patriot Extreme 2gig sticks(8 gigs). I also tried some OCZ stuff(platinum something or other) and it worked fine.

captainoats, I have mixed memory on this board without issues. If your ram runs at 1.8 in most cases there is no tweaking needed. High performance needs more voltage and sometimes 4 sticks needs a tad more(+0.1 from whatever you need to run it). I did need the extra bit on the 512 + 512 + 1024 + 1024 combination.

Windows will require no tweaks for the extra memory, but windows XP(and 32 bit Vista) will not be able to use all the memory. 32-bit OS's can only address a total of 4 gigs of memory, this includes other components with memory like your video card. As such, you may only see 3 - 3.75(less with multi video card systems and some components) gigs of memory with 4 gigs installed.
November 11, 2008 8:59:47 PM

I have a gigabyte GA-P35-S3G with 8gb of ram running at 1066... It has worked fine but I did have some issues with overheating. If the CPU fan is pulling air across it should be fine.
!