Your question

General X3 720 OC Question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Thermal Compound
Last response: in Overclocking
August 28, 2009 5:33:34 AM

I'm leaning heavily toward a modest - 10-20% - overclock of the CPU, but am unsure if I will do it soon after the completion of my build. I'm a little scared of messing up the installation of the AMC and especially using thermal compound. Would it be prudent to install the AMC before installing the motherboard, regardless if I overclock right away?

More about : general 720 question

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2009 6:20:23 AM

There are many step-by-step tutorials available on the Internet that can help you out with the AMC installation and thermal compound usage...
http://www.jsyte.com/tutorials/replacehsf

And it would be better if you install the AMC before installing the mobo as you wouldn't have to remove your mobo to again install the AMC...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2009 6:24:32 AM

VinnyChase said:
I'm leaning heavily toward a modest - 10-20% - overclock of the CPU, but am unsure if I will do it soon after the completion of my build. I'm a little scared of messing up the installation of the AMC and especially using thermal compound. Would it be prudent to install the AMC before installing the motherboard, regardless if I overclock right away?

Yes, if your case allows you to install the CPU and heat-sink before installation of the motherboard. Clearance is the only issue. On some aftermarket heat-sinks and fans they are to large in some cases to clear while attached to the motherboard. Let us know. On the thermal paste put a drop the size of a piece of rice in the center of the CPU and then attache your heat-sink. The pressure will spread out the thermal-paste. :D 
!