General X3 720 OC Question

I'm leaning heavily toward a modest - 10-20% - overclock of the CPU, but am unsure if I will do it soon after the completion of my build. I'm a little scared of messing up the installation of the AMC and especially using thermal compound. Would it be prudent to install the AMC before installing the motherboard, regardless if I overclock right away?
2 answers Last reply
More about general question
  1. There are many step-by-step tutorials available on the Internet that can help you out with the AMC installation and thermal compound usage...
    http://www.jsyte.com/tutorials/replacehsf

And it would be better if you install the AMC before installing the mobo as you wouldn't have to remove your mobo to again install the AMC...
  2. VinnyChase said:
    I'm leaning heavily toward a modest - 10-20% - overclock of the CPU, but am unsure if I will do it soon after the completion of my build. I'm a little scared of messing up the installation of the AMC and especially using thermal compound. Would it be prudent to install the AMC before installing the motherboard, regardless if I overclock right away?

Yes, if your case allows you to install the CPU and heat-sink before installation of the motherboard. Clearance is the only issue. On some aftermarket heat-sinks and fans they are to large in some cases to clear while attached to the motherboard. Let us know. On the thermal paste put a drop the size of a piece of rice in the center of the CPU and then attache your heat-sink. The pressure will spread out the thermal-paste. :D
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Thermal Compound