Help with power supply problems.

pingu12

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Ive just installed my new PSU (Corsair TX 650W) after my old 1 died on me, Ive plugged everything in and then pressed the on button. All the fans start powering up and then after about 0.5seconds everything cuts out? I could only think of a few problems, either something is short cuirciting, or it is underpowered, or it could be worse and something could be fried!!?
My spec is as follows:

Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad @ 2.4Ghz
Antec 900 Case
Asus P5N32 E-Sli Plus Mobo
Corsair 2Gb XMS2 PC6400
EZCool 650W PSU
BFG 8800 Ultra
Seagate 160Gb 7200rpm SATA HDD

650W should be enough power for this shouldnt it? Please can you give me your ideas or suggestions on what to do.

thanks

650W is more than enough. This could be an overload or short. Disconnect everything not required to POST (including your hard drive) and see if you can at least get that far. If so, then add one thing back at a time (with power OFF, of course), until the symptoms return; you will have found the defective component. If it won't even POST, then your mobo may have a short. You can try taking everything out of your case. If that works, re-mount everything in your case, taking care that the mobo is on standoffs, and that there are no extra standoffs screwed into the case where there is not a mounting hole. Finally, run a strip of tape along the back edge, where loose PCI slot covers may be hitting something.

ericmrwebb

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
I had the same problem. Finally replaced the CMOS battery. The PSU was also done for, but those two replacements fixed the problem.

pingu12

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
ok i still have the stock intel cooler :S, thanks for ur ideas ill try them out and get back to u asap with the results

pingu12

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
no luck so far i have tried removing and re-attaching the stock cooler, replaced the CMOS battery and unplugged the power too my GFX card (which then beeped at me), hdd, optical drive; so that the only power cable that was left was the mobo and it still did the same thing. Any other suggstions :|

pingu12

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
*Edit, the fans stay on for about 1second, and i read that if u remove the stock cooler the thermal pad is destroyed, i did not reaplly any thermal material, does this sound like it could be overheating?