Tags:
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 9, 2009 1:50:49 AM

Hey everyone!

First post :) 

I plan on building my own PC for the first time, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about organizing my storage. I plan on getting a relatively low-capacity (approx. 32GB) SSD, and a relatively high-capacity (500+GB) standard HDD. I've looked around and it seems like SSD's are awesome in terms of boot times and responsiveness, so I figured it would be a good idea to put Windows (and maybe Ubuntu) on it, and then put my data and files and such on the HDD.

Are there any issues with keeping the OS separate from the rest of the files and data, or this setup in general?

Also, I've seen some stuff talking about how to partition drives; putting the swap file on its own partition, putting the OS on multiple partitions, etc. But I'm not sure how to go about it for this particular setup; so any advice there is greatly appreciated.

And one more thing: I'm currently running Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) on my laptop, and I'd like to "move" it to the one I'm building. And by that I mean I would remove the OS from my laptop and then install it on the newly-built desktop using the original installation disk/product key. Is this legal/possible?

Thanks in advance for the help.

More about : partitioning organizing ssd hdd time build

a b G Storage
December 9, 2009 4:37:50 AM

There are no issues keeping your OS separate from your files and data. Make sure to tell all your programs to save on your HD; this involves things like changing My Documents' location.

If your copy of Windows 7 isn't an OEM version, you can move it to your new computer. Legally however, you're obliged to uninstall it from your laptop.
December 9, 2009 12:02:04 PM

Lifehacker has a really useful guide for dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 7 while having a partition that they both share. Im sure you can adapt this guide and instead of making a storage partition on your SSD, just have your storage be on the HDD.

http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+boot-windows-7-and-u...
!