Cannot log in after recovering from corrupt system error

mani

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2004

Hi,
My friends computer was getting "Windows XP could not start because the
following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" error.
I followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us and recovered. When
trying to log in, was being prompted that he needs to Activate Windows. When
I click on either Yes or No to that dialog, the log in screen comes back up.
Can go into Safe Mode but cannot use System Restore. Was getting an error
occured and needs to close. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hi,

Follow the steps here in Safe mode:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Activation

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mani" <Mani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> My friends computer was getting "Windows XP could not start because the
> following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
> error.
> I followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us and recovered.
> When
> trying to log in, was being prompted that he needs to Activate Windows.
> When
> I click on either Yes or No to that dialog, the log in screen comes back
> up.
> Can go into Safe Mode but cannot use System Restore. Was getting an error
> occured and needs to close. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks

mani

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2004

Hi Rick,
Thanks for replying. I could not find the keys that are listed in your
website. I also did a search in registry for the Cryptography key but did
not find any in HKEY_USERS. What's puzzling me when I click on System
Restore to complete the last step of Microsoft's guide I get System Restore
encountered a problem and needs to close. I could not make anything out of
the technical report it created. I thought maybe System Restore is
stopped/disabled in services and tried to open Services and got Microsoft
Management Console has encountered a problem and needs to close. Thinking
that all the problems are related to the Microsoft Activation. One more
information is the computer is a Dell computer where XP came installed on it.
Therefore no need to use a crack.
Thanks again

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Follow the steps here in Safe mode:
> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Activation
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Mani" <Mani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > My friends computer was getting "Windows XP could not start because the
> > following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
> > error.
> > I followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us and recovered.
> > When
> > trying to log in, was being prompted that he needs to Activate Windows.
> > When
> > I click on either Yes or No to that dialog, the log in screen comes back
> > up.
> > Can go into Safe Mode but cannot use System Restore. Was getting an error
> > occured and needs to close. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks

Hi,

You wouldn't want to use System Restore at this point anyhow, as the points
were from before the registry corruption. You should just disable, then
restart System Restore to clear the corrupt points.

What happened when you tried to reregister the .dll files?

--

> Hi Rick,
> Thanks for replying. I could not find the keys that are listed in your
> website. I also did a search in registry for the Cryptography key but did
> not find any in HKEY_USERS. What's puzzling me when I click on System
> Restore to complete the last step of Microsoft's guide I get System
> Restore
> encountered a problem and needs to close. I could not make anything out
> of
> the technical report it created. I thought maybe System Restore is
> stopped/disabled in services and tried to open Services and got Microsoft
> Management Console has encountered a problem and needs to close. Thinking
> that all the problems are related to the Microsoft Activation. One more
> information is the computer is a Dell computer where XP came installed on
> it.
> Therefore no need to use a crack.
> Thanks again
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Follow the steps here in Safe mode:
>> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Activation
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Mani" <Mani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > My friends computer was getting "Windows XP could not start because
>> > the
>> > following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
>> > error.
>> > I followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us and recovered.
>> > When
>> > trying to log in, was being prompted that he needs to Activate Windows.
>> > When
>> > I click on either Yes or No to that dialog, the log in screen comes
>> > back
>> > up.
>> > Can go into Safe Mode but cannot use System Restore. Was getting an
>> > error
>> > occured and needs to close. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> > Thanks

mani

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2004

When I reregistered the files, a dialog box came with succeeded message.
Since it's not working, my friend wanted me to format the hd and reinstall
xp. When I did that, I don't get an option to enter the product key. I
proceeded to update sp2. After the update, genuine windows utility was
downloaded to check so that the computer can receive updates. That failed.
I don't have an option to activate windows in system tools. I reinstalled XP
and it's the same problem, don't have option to activate windows. The
computer is a dell computer with XP home edition cd. How can I activate
windows.

Thanks