Heat issues (Why Does my CPU run hotter with a better heatsink?)

maniac5999

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
So I recently got fed up with my old heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103041 , and since there was a great sale on the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer at newegg I bought it. However since switching coolers my temperature has gone UP. from about 33idle/42load for the core temp and 45idle/55load for the CPU temp on the old cooler, to 40/50 core and 55/65cpu.

The system is a Kuma 7750 on a ASRock 780FullHD board. I've tried resetting the heatsink twice with different amounts of thermal paste (both Artic Colling MX-2 and Tuniq TX-2) but nothing seems to work. It's not case airflow, since the temps only change 1-2* between having the side panel on or off, and wierdly the top of the heatsink is barely warm, while the bottom seems hot, but not crazy hot.

It's in a small case (GMC Carona) but there's about 2" between the fan and the wall infront of it, and it exhausts 3" in front of the exhaust fans. Also, the fan spins at the correct speed, 1-2k depending on the controller according to Speedfan.

At this point I'm just lost as to why this could be happening. The new heatsink is one of the best according to frostytech, how could it cool so much worse than the little coolermaster piece of junk it replaced? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Once and a while we see a bad heatpipe HS. The liquid in the tubes is inadequate. One tube might not of sealed properly.

You might double check the HS isn't touching any mobo components. Or the backplate screws don't screw all the way down etc. I dunno, if the double check of a good seat aren't the problem, RMA it for another of the same I guess.

What about more fannage on the HS?

Yea with a stock Kuma your idle temp should be around the 37/38c at the most, unless your ambient temp exceeds 30c .....

Have you checked the RPMS's on that CCF fan? make sure its maxed out....

If nothing seems to fix your temps then I guess Conumdrum is right, time for an RMA.......

Was there a clear piece of plastic on the bottom of your new cooler? If so, did you remove it?

Seriously, the new cooler should be equal or better . . . or at least close . . . some of these "better" coolers only show they are better under really hot conditions . . . unless it is installed incorrectly or broken.

Remove the new cooler - if there is no foreign object on it lol, put the old cooler back on and return the new one.

maniac5999

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

LoL I'm not THAT bad. I pulled the plastic thing off before I installed it the first time. I would agree that it could be the heat pipes, but the cooler does have 4 seperate heat pipes, what are the chances that all of them could be bad?

Oh, and Yoosty, this cooler SHOULD be able to eat yours for breakfast. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004 Frostytech rates it as one of the 5 best coolers out there.

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007

Have that one on my AMD FX60 cpu and running on idle at 28c.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Quote: "Oh, and Yoosty, this cooler SHOULD be able to eat yours for breakfast. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835207004 Frostytech rates it as one of the 5 best coolers out there. "

lol owned yoosty, spinq is just for looks, performance wise its no match to the core contact freezer. spinq sucks .

RMA the product, its prob defective or bad mounting (or fan messed)
i have CCF myself it cooled 20C lower than my stock cooler

Superhal

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Sorry if this sounds condescending, but one of the most common issues with a new HSF is installation error.

1. Did you use a thermal interface material? (TIM)
2. Is the TIM applied correctly?
3. Did you get good pressure through the AMD clip or backplate, _not_ through pushpins?
4. Did you get an adequate HSF for your needs? (Bigger is better.)

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007

Well, when you Win it at a Lan event you either used it or sell it. Since the build for my nephew needed a Cpu cooler what better place for it to go.
Oh by the way on my Core i7 build am using a True 120 Extreme RT, OC to 3.6ghz running idle at 35c. :wahoo:

OvrClkr
whoa you have an FX60?? whats speed is it running ATM?
Currently OC to 3.0ghz. :sol:

lol... the spin-Q does not suck.... i know a couple of peeps that have lapped their spin-Q's and they normally idle @ 32c (940be's overclocked to 3.8Ghz)..... yes there are better coolers out for the same amount of money but the spin-Q does really perform well....