jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I was playin with my rig, experimenting with ram. after few tries the sistem wont boot. all i get is a black screen. the gpu seems to be ok ( sappire 4890, the leds on it say its fine), the psu (corsair th750 ) is ok, and the ram is perfect (mushkin ddr2 800). the board is msi p35 platinum combo, the nastiest board i have ever had the "pleasure" to use. the cpu is e8400. now the board has led diagnostics, the lighst are red-red-red-green, in the manual it says

"Initializing Video Interface. This will start detecting CPU clock, checking type of video onboard. Then, detect and initialize the video adapter."

i contacted msi and i am still waiting. what do u think?

When you say the ram is perfect, I assume you have tested for errors. But it sounds as though it may not be the ram you've been using ?

I guess intially I'm thinking, although I'm sure you have checked this, when mucking about its easy to unseat something in your case.

The error message seems to indicate a pb with video. While messing with the ram did you change anything perhaps like the setting for which graphics display to use first?

I was playin with my rig, experimenting with ram. after few tries the sistem wont boot.

1) Where you overclocking ?? did you play with voltage / cadence cpu speeds ??
2) does your computer bips when post (tries to post )
3) Try taking the memory out and start the computer, if no bips : motherboard or cpu is defective... good luck

ps: their might be a jumper to reste everything look in your manual

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
i have tried with mushkin ddr2 800, and also with OCZ ddr3 1333, but nothing. the rams are fine, i have tested them.
Now:
1. I overclock a lot. The system was fine with ddr3, but i wanted to see what i can get with ddr2. it was also working, but when i set the ram to 960 Mhz on 2.0v, it wont boot after that. both rams are strong, mushkin rated 4-4-4-12 @ 800 on 2.1 and ocz is 6-6-6-15 @ 1333, 175 v.
2. no beeps, it never did. dont know why
3. still no beeps, but the LED do show that there is no memory installed.

and i did try with the clear CMOS button and with the battery also. no luck.

How did you determine your "psu is ok"? If it runs another PC, then . . .

Seems you either now have a bad mobo (maybe all that memory popping while hot busted a trace) . . . or your CMOS clearing didn't really do that (I know some Gigabyte boards are CMOS-clearing resistant lol). So, pull power and battery from board, short the jumpers or whatever onboard CMOS clear is available, and repeatedly press the case power-on button. Hopefully combining all those procedures will ensure clearing.

If not, and assuming your psu now actually runs another PC, what else is there but a busted mobo?

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
the PSU definitely works, tested with electrical meters. I have a neighbor who's an engineer but he has no clue of pc's.
I hope its the board, cause it sucks anyway.
Thanks everyone.

"Electrical meters" do not test the psu under load. They do not test how the psu handles a surge load. They do not test whether the power supplied maintains its voltage tolerance with acceptable ripple.

Unless he happens to have a veritable plethora of unusual "Electrical Stuff" available to him.

So, if he slapped a VOM on a few leads and found voltages . . . that unfortunately tells us very little about the psu.

Test it in another pc. Odds are its not your board.