Case help, dusty environment

goldenp51

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Hi,

I am doing my first build. I was originally going to go with the Antec 900 but I am concerned about dust. I have 3 dogs and live next to some wheat fields and would like something with easy to clean filters as there is constantly lots of dust in my house (even after lots of cleaning).

Any recommendations? Looking for mid tower case (or full), something with good airflow, good dust control and tool-less design, price anywhere up to about $150.

THANK YOU!

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
get some sheer fabric from a fabric store, find someone that knows how to sew, and make a slip cover that will catch dust. throw it in the laundry once a month. any case you want

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
You can always just not get filters and once a month take an air compressor to the inside ^_^ That's what I've ended up doing, just make sure the fans can't move or you can strip bearings with too much airflow. Admittedly filters would be easier though :S

I have to admit filters sound like a good idea. However, there is a downside. The filters restrict air flow. A lot depends on your cooling requirements. Personally I remove filters, mesh, and fan guards to improve air flow and cooling. I open the case once a month and clean out the interior. Just need a little self discipline when it comes to routine maintenance.

For a mid-tower case you might want to look at the CoolerMaster Centurion 590. The front drive bay bezels come with filters and you can add extra fans to improve air flow and cooling. I bought it for one of my girlfriends. I liked the case so much I bought one for myself. Hate to tell you but I removed all of the filters.

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
2 dogs, 1 cat, 2 boys in and out all day... lots of dust for me also.

I too remove any barriers that might restrict airflow, such as filters, extra mesh or those silly holes where the fans goes in the case for air flow.... Only time I dont is if it will make the case look stupid on the outside..

Simply open it up once an month and blow it out....

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Me I have no animals or anything, house is dust free, til i open a window and leave it for a couple of hours :S.
As much as fan filters do limit airflow, they might be a great idea.
Even better if you can somehow place them a couple of cm's away from the fan yet keep it cvering the entrance, like done in thermaltake armor series. Not only would close up dust filters lower air flow, it will also increase air noise alot.

goldenp51

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Thank you all for the input....after looking at about 50 cases I think I have found one that will give me options...the NZXT Tempest. I think this will have everything I want. If I run the case and decide the filters are too restrictive I can just take them out.

Will just replace a few of the fans with scythe fans and I should be good to go right? :)

Superhal

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
sears sells charcoal air pre-filters for their air purifier lines. i cut one to size and the retention bracket for my fan held it in place. i replaced the stock steel mesh filter the case came with. the air flow restriction came out to about a 2C difference in temperatures.