system boot problem

san_crazy

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
hi friends,

i got an unsolved issue, actually there was an burst of SMPS before few days and I did need to replace it but since the replacement my system couldn't boot up.

when i power on UPS followed by CPU it only remain on for few seconds during which it seems that the processing starts but shortly after it automatically get off.

845GVSR Intel desktop board
80 GB Seagate HDD
512 MB DDR1 RAM

I think there is not any problem in RAM cause I have checked in using a well functioning RAM. The three beeps are of equal pitch of about 2 seconds duration each.
there must be some other problem that i cant figure out

even, i replaced the CMOS battery and put a new one which is functioning well that there would be problem in battery but I found there is not.

I have plugged-in/out the connectors and got failure

san_crazy

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
Ok...I try to give the snapshot

-- I power on the UPS followed by CPU, I got three beeps of equal pitch 2 second each.

-- after two or three try when I power on the CPU again the beeps doesn't come instead the processing keeps on till few seconds without any display on monitor and then CPU shut down.

-- after plugging out all the connections from the wall when i plug in again those then the first and seconds steps repeats.

well, I dont know if there is a video card cause i have searched across the motherboard and didn't find or may be I dont know how video card looks like.

rest of the components I have described, but not processor
here is pentium4 3.06 GHz
LG combe drive

and SMPS means the device which manages swith mode power supply

Mondoman

Splendid

I don't understand that (I have never heard of a "SMPS"). What do you mean by "manages"?
Also, what did you mean by "...there was an burst of SMPS"?
I understand that English is not your main language, but if you could explain those more it would help a lot.
Also could you please list the model number of your power supply?

For future reference, Intel has info and downloads for your board here: http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845gvsr/

If the beeps are really 2 seconds long each, that may be a "3 long" beep signal indicating a keyboard problem.

PS - also make sure that your CPU cooler fan is spinning!

san_crazy

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
please review my previous post and look at video card issue.

one more thing, I have tried popping the RAM out of CPU and got the same beep code.

Mondoman

Splendid
Sounds like you had some problems with your SMPS, whatever that is. Perhaps that damaged your power supply or motherboard or RAM.

RAM problem is indicated by three short beeps in your BIOS (AMI), but that could also be a damaged MB instead of bad RAM.

Your MB has built-in video in the chipset.