Is this a Soundblaster problem?

I have a system that has been running without any problems based on the following components:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (overclocked to 3.0 GHz)
- Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3R motherboard
- nVidia 8800GT graphics card
- 4 x 1GB Corsair PC2-6400 XMS2 RAM
- Vista 64-bit.

I have been using the integrated sound capability of the motherboard until a week ago when I installed a new Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-Express card, together with the latest 64-bit driver. Since then I have been experiencing mysterious application hangs, the system grinding to a halt, and extended disk thrashing. I'm also occasionally seeing the CPU temperature rise by as much as 20 degrees without my having initiated any processor-intensive applications. If I reboot, the temperature returns to normal. I've tried refitting the heatsink (Coolermaster Hyper TX2) just in case I somehow dislodged it when fitting the sound card, but this has made no difference.

Bascally, I'm experiencing problems a couple of times a day. I find it hard to believe that it's all down to the sound card, but I can find no other reason.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Steve S.
1 answer Last reply
More about soundblaster problem
  1. Probably the best way to determine if your new addition is causing the problems is to remove the drivers and the card and see if your problem persists.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Components