critic my $700 budget gaming rig

metalweenis

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Yes, get Premium instead. Also, if you can find a 9800GTX+ for cheaper than that 4850, got for it. Eitherwise, it looks pretty decent, unless you want to switch that E7200 for a Q6600 for a little more $, up to you I guess.

Drop the Vista home basic for premium or don't pay extra for an 8GB mobo. Buy a cheap 4GB mobo because thats about all the RAM your OS will work with or just buy 2GB now and a 4GB kit later so you dont break the OS limit. Even with 6GB's and a 4870X2 you could see a lose of memory. Simple put basic can only address 8GB so any stand alone GPU and device drivers will leave you with far less than 8Gb''s of RAM. This is but 1 of the problems with vista that microsoft keeps hidden.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
^^^^Most people wont need a Tb, however if your getting a 320 get the SW blue edition with just a single platter, although I would recommend the 640 blue which is a dual platter.

^^Make sure you get a MB which support 8Gb, I never though i would ever use 2Gb when my machine had 512 but I'm glad I had room to expand. i love the p45 chipset so I would say that's is a good choice.

And yes only a fool buys Home basic, and to add I'm annoyed that i got home premium as i now cannot join a windows domain. however home premium is way better basic.

The hd4850 is a great card.

Build looks fine for a budget. Home-Basic 64-bit supports up to 8GB so I guess you're fine there. As long as you don't want to join a Domain or have Areo there's no reason to spring for a different version of Vista ^_^.